Thursday, August 4, 2011

Keep Watching the Skies!


On this day in 1999, the episode "The Lawndale File" first aired. A lot of fun stuff happened in this one, including Trent's paranoia-inducing upbeat songwriting, the wacky "atomic Communist from Mars" thing, and an encore appearance from everyone's favorite weirdo, Artie!

Several fanfics have been inspired by that episode, including Richard Lobinske's It's That Guy and The Angst Guy's And I on the Opposite Shore Will Be. In spite of his few canon appearances, Artie has appeared in too many fanfics to list. This is probably some kind of sinister alien plot. (Nods knowingly)

Fanfic Update!
  • And Soon It Will Be Morning (Iron Chef: If I Forget You), by The Angst Guy (COMPLETE!): "'Trent,' said the doctor, 'the police are investigating what happened, but you don't have any time to think about that. I have more to tell you and it won't be easy. Your sister is gravely ill. I can't—I'm sorry, we got you here as quickly as we could after we found out what had happened, but I can't promise you Jane will even make it through tonight.' The bottom of the world dropped out from below Daria's feet. She hung for an instant, weightless in the air, then began to fall into an infinite depth."

  • Daria, or the Confession of a Single Lonely Male, by Arena del Sur: "–Look –Da said as she puts down the empty glass, two fingers drumming in the edge–, look, I've decided something. I want to leave school. I hate that place. I hate the play, I really do! Leave at once. Go for a long trip again. But this time we'll go wherever I want, won't we? I nodded. My Daria."

  • Dark Future: Road Worrier, by Charles RB (part 4): "Two of the bikers were accelerating, crossing the gap fast and separating to pull in alongside both sides of the RV. Standard practice for them, two to target the driver or tyres, the rest to sweep in at the crash and overwhelm any survivors. But if you surrendered, they’d probably let you off with just a few beatings."

  • Green Dragon Rising, by Grifter74: "The Rangers were fighting a large group of putties when Kim heard a soft voice say "I need to borrow this" and her blade blaster was slipped out of her holster. Then suddenly all the putties vanished, leaving only the rangers and a figure wrapped in a dark green cloak and hood that hid all detail from view standing at opposite ends of a street. 'Greetings, Rangers. I bring a message from Empress Rita. Surrender now, and your deaths will be quick.'"

  • Jack Of Hearts, by RX-87 (part 1): "Daria noticed Jake was sweaty and uncomfortable and visibly trying to hide it as they took in Boston's sights. Still, she tried to humor him and just enjoy things, as she still hadn't gotten the chance to explore her new surroundings herself, between schoolwork and her part time job at the public library. It occured to Daria that perhaps she should have paid more attention to her father's poor condition when they finally located the stairs where the exterior shots of Cheers were filmed and he promptly collapsed and went tumbling down them."

  • Lost in the Place Where Time Stands Still (Iron Chef: If I Forget You), by OverlordMikey (COMPLETE!): "Trent peaked into the clean white room and saw his sister sitting in a comatose state. According to the doctor she just barely registered her current caretaker presence; her hoped Trent might get a better response but asked that her not jog her memories at this time as it might cause her to have an even more devastating break down. He should also avoid mentioning any events that led up to the trip as she remembers nothing relating to it."

  • Mellow-Drama, by The Angst Guy (COMPLETE!): "Sensing she was now walking alone, Daria Morgendorffer stopped and turned to face her friend. She looked at the floor by Jane's boots instead of looking into those stunned blue eyes. 'I kissed your boyfriend. I kissed Tom. I didn't mean to.'"

  • Save the Last Trance for Me, by jtranser: "'Jane, the last parade I went to was back in Lawndale, where I got to: see a float catch fire, look for Tad Gupty's parents, be molested by Mr.O'Neill dressed as a furry, get captured by the Fashion Club, and run into Tom, thus starting the destruction of your relationship with him and the beginning of another, namely with me. All in all, a day filled with events irritating, amusing and toxic. So, on this parade business, I'm going to ask you: do I have to?'"

  • Unnamed story (Iron Chef - Jodie the Inventor), by Chris Tucker: "Colonel White realized the inappropriate nature of his comment. 'Begging your pardon, Miss Landon, I was definitely NOT referring to yourself, but to THAT!' He pointed to something behind her. She turned to look. Her jaw dropped, her eyes went wide."

  • Unnamed story (Iron Chef: Poly Wolly Doodle All Day), by RLobinske (COMPLETE!): "Not very impressed with the new school, Daria wearily opened the door and said, 'Mom, Mom, Mom, I'm home.'"

  • Unnamed story (PLOT BUNNIES: free to good home), by Ranger Thorne: "Catherine had long since become familiar with the tunnels that ran beneath New York City, enabling her to quickly get ahead of whoever it was that was walking down the tunnel. Finally, she turned a corner and was rewarded when a flashlight beam shined in her face. 'I was wondering when someone would come after me,' came a young female voice."

3 comments:

The Hometown Chatter said...

Missed it by "that" much.

Anonymous said...

How do you have time to read EVERY fic?!

- Charles RB

Kristen Bealer said...

iHow do you have time to read EVERY fic?!

See, the "person" that you know as Kristen Bealer is actually a corporation made up of several dozen people. One committee of those people is set aside to read fanfic, another to post blog entries, another to write fanfic, another to bang out nonsense posts on the PPMB, and another to do the piddling silly stuff like working, eating, and sleeping that is filed under "miscellaneous."

I'm thinking about getting my name trademarked, or perhaps going by "BealCo," but I haven't put the committee together to type out that "TM" yet.

:D