That same day was also the 50th anniversary of Lego toy bricks, which can be used to create a very good likeness of Jake Morgendorffer, shown at left.
Thursday, January 29th, was the 14th anniversary of Daria's appearance on the Beavis and Butt-head episode, "Wet Behind the Rears." Daria doesn't speak in the episode, but you see her having a good laugh, along with the rest of the student body, when Beavis and Butt-head are forced to leave school during a fire drill wearing only their underwear. Plus Beavis is covered in blood and has a hole in his right hand from being hit with a javelin. Plus, you discover at the end, the fire alarm was rigged by the principal and Coach Buzzcut for the sole purpose of having Beavis and Butt-head embarrassed in front of the rest of the school. Which really makes you wonder what the hell was going on in that school. Jeez. At least Daria got a good laugh out of it. So did both Kimberlys and Cassandra.
Plus, it was nine years ago on Friday the 30th that part of the episode "Fizz Ed" took place. It was Super Bowl Sunday in the year 2000, when Daria took on The System and won. More or less. Thanks to Richard Lobinske for puzzling this one out.
Lorenzo Sauchelli has drawn another Legion of Lawndale Heroes super-dude. Enjoy!
Greystar has posted a special PPMB Iron Chef challenge. Stay tuned to see where this ones goes.
SPECIAL NEWS! Roentgen (here, too) has created a DariaWiki page with all the links to the Legion of Lawndale Heroes stories! Huzzah! This was a much-needed item. Thank you!
The New Idea Thread on PPMB continues to spiral out of control. Many exciting projects are also being discussed for 2009.
More later as I read some more stuff. Oh, and the stories I missed updating are below.
- Daria, Poem Unlimited: The Meme Wars, by Project Pegasus (Part 2): Tom is at it again! This time he is trying to take over the Internet, and only Daria and Jane can stop him! While Daria and Jane desperately chase Tom across Cyber Space, they find themselves stuck in yet another Internet meme!
- Harry Butthead, by Deep Metal (Part 2): “Butt-head, I’m very disappointed in you! We wanted to raise you in an upright, Christian household and this is how you repay us? With black magic and occultism?” [This story was in the B&B forum, but it includes Daria, so is listed here.—TAG]
- Helping Hand, by Ivgie Sole (Part 3): Having already suffered a great loss Daria is about to lose her love, sanity and perhaps her very life. That is until an old friend comes to her rescue.
- When It Rains, by MandeeMistress (Part 1): Daria is finally getting the tour of Raft that she wanted. A placement test is her main objective. With Trent, Jane and Jesse along for the ride, it's bound to be a disaster.
- Expectavi—Daria: Agent of COBRA, by Ranchoth (Part 2.5): OMG. Don't try this at home, kids. *
- Falling into College 66: Christmas in White, by Richard Lobinske (Part 4): It appears the truck filled with ebola-carrying penguins is not going to make it to the wedding, but there's always the honeymoon!
- Long Trek Home, by Ranger Thorne (Part 2 continued): Daria sighed then sat in one of the seats across from Jodie. "This is just too weird to talk to Jane about," she admitted. "But, I, um, think that girl's father might be me."
- Other Side, by Legendeld (Part 7): “The boiler is fine but it looks like the exchanger is cracked and that’s why it can’t build up more pressure to turn the turbine fast enough to make this thing go faster than five miles per hour.”
- Snuffed Animals, by Disco316 (Parts 13 to 16): Everyone's on the road not previously taken. Stay tuned to see where the road ends and if there are any fatalities.
- Stacy Rowe, Seeker (Part II), by jtranser (continued): Daria and Jane meet... uh-oh. This can't end well.
- Turnabout Confusion, Part II: All the King's Horses, by Dennis (continued): There aren't enough shocked little yellow emoticons in all TEH INTERNETZ to fit my reaction to this plot development.
- Two Halves, by Dark Kuno (Chapter 3, Part 7): “I can’t believe we missed the sale by an hour,” Quinn said with an annoyed tone as she dropped her keys on the living room table. Joey, Jeffie and Jamie each filed slowly through the front door a minute later. Each was encumbered with numerous bags, bundles and parcels of various sizes and visibly struggled to hold onto their immense burdens.