Friday, January 9, 2009

If Stacy was Mary Anne, then who would be Ginger?

Today is the 73rd anniversary of the birth of comedy actor Bob Denver, who played Gilligan on some TV show from the 1960s whose name escapes me, but it had to do with an island. The real Bob Denver is at right, flanked by two of the show's leading ladies, and Kevin Thompson is dressed as Gilligan in an alter ego at left. Funny, I guess there really is a resemblance between the two. Weird.

Kevin is holding a coconut with a straw in it, which is a pretty typical prop from the original show, which I used to watch when it wasn't in reruns. I was in elementary school then. There were dinosaurs around too, I recall.

You would be surprised, perhaps (or perhaps not, knowing this fandom), at the number of Daria tales having to do with Gilligan, or at least how many stories mention him. In no special order:

and, most importantly,
  • Outcast Castaways, which nails it. Congratulations to Robert Nowall for this crossover triumph.
Wanna hear something really weird? The character that Bob Denver played on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis was named Maynard G. Krebs, a shaggy-looking beatnik. It has been reported that the character Shaggy Rogers, from the Scooby-Doo franchise, was created from Maynard G. Krebs. If that is true, then the Daria background character Shaggy (who was apparently based on the Scooby-Doo Shaggy) was ultimately derived from Bob Denver's long-ago character.

In other words, the man who gave us Gilligan also gave us Shaggy.

Small planet, isn't it?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I suppose Quinn would have to be Ginger because of the red hair.

Anonymous said...

TAG wrote: Kevin is holding a coconut with a straw in it, which is a pretty typical prop from the original show, which I used to watch when it wasn't in reruns. I was in elementary school then. There were dinosaurs around too, I recall.

I tell people I learned my paleontology in (name your poison for schools, but usually High School) because I attended with the dinosaurs.

The Angst Guy said...

Though her hair is the wrong color, I thought Sandi had an attitude closer to Ginger's.

Anonymous said...

Quinn is very much Ginger. They both have this way of manipulating guys into doing what they want by using their looks.

I do think that Mr. and Mrs. Howell should be played by Brittany and Kevin, though.

The Angst Guy said...

And the Professor?


Ted, probably.

The Angst Guy said...

Wait! Who would Daria be?

Kristen Bealer said...

Wait! Who would Daria be?

Daria knew better than to get anywhere near a boat with Gilligan on it.

Either that or she was the first one they ate when they ran out of food.

Or before they ran out of food. Whichever.