World War II officially started on this day in 1939. I'm sure Mr. DeMartino has his own unique take on the subject, but I wouldn't recommend asking him about it unless you're prepared for a lot of shouting and eye twitches. That goes double for you two, Brittany and Kevin!
Today is also the twenty-third anniversary of the TV mini-series The Head, which began airing on this day in 1994. This is notable to fandom because it's linked to Daria through both a Beavis and Butt-head crossover and the background character on the show who wears a t-shirt featuring The Head. Don't think too hard about how both of those things can both exist; it gives me a headache when I try.
- The Adventure of the Accidental and Transitory Book Club, by Blake C Stacey (COMPLETE!): "She never knew why Axl had rented a room at the Motel Nine, filled it with booze and invited two bands' worth of friends from the Dega Street crew over to drink it away."
- Fates Entwined, by Deep Metal (part 7): "'Are you okay, Daria?' asked Aunt Amy. 'I'm still a little shell shocked but otherwise still ticking,' Daria nodded. She was with her aunt now."
- Greater Love, by arandomshipper (part 3): "'Quinn, wait up!' Quinn stopped with her hand on the door handle, and looked at Daria quizzically. 'Where are you going?' 'Oh,' She smiled dreamily. 'Ben said it'd be easier for him to pick me up on the corner a few blocks away, so I'm going to walk over there and wait for him.'"
- Just Say U.N.C.L.E., by Captain Marbles (part 1): "After the news report had finished, Karen touched a certain button on her remote. 'Report, "Alchemist",' said Queue. 'I ran into a little...interference,' Alchemist replied."
- The Legionnaires and the Teen Star, by Brother Grimace (COMPLETE!): "'Bet you a thousand bucks that Tom'll blow a blood vessel when he hears about missing this. A major TV star, and a cute one, too.'"
- The Ownership Society (Daria and the Gang Thread II), by Roentgen (COMPLETE!): "'Jane!' This was much more animated that Daria ever got in a phone call. Jane perked up. 'Yup?' 'Get over to my house right now! I'll explain later, just get over here right now!'"
- Second Chances, by Lady Evil (part 7): "Trent had some last minute instructions for Jane. 'Slash needs three drops of the vitamin formula mixed in with his food.' he told her, pocketing his wallet and car keys. 'Mix his worm pill in too. If he spits it out, just hide it in a hot dog and try again.'"
- Unnamed story (LLH - Short Entries), by Roentgen (parts 37 and 38): "'The rescue teams are overwhelmed,' Daria said, 'and you know it.' 'Nevertheless,' Kyle Armalin said, 'I strongly advice the Legionnaires not to come here. We have at least eight dead here and catastrophic flooding. Some areas have over three feet of flooding, and unless you are an expert in swiftwater search and rescue, you don't want to come here.'" (Part 38)