Friday, April 13, 2012

Triple Word Score on "Friggatriskaidekaphobia"!


Happy National Scrabble Day! Today's the day to pull out the old board and lay down some tiles--even if you haven't been grounded by the distinguished members of Family Court.

But be careful, as today is also Friday the 13th! The Angst Guy used Friday the 13th as a character from Holiday Island in his fanfic A Hard Days' Night. Don't walk under any ladders or break any mirrors! Seriously, on that last one--the Fashion Club would kill you.

Finally it was on this day in 1997 that San Francisco Sunday Examiner & Chronicle published an interview with Daria. Check it out to see Our Heroine in the early days, before the fame went to her head! Or something.

Fanfic Update!
  • Andrea's Tears, by BrownEyedBagel (part 2): "I’m in a lot of pain right now, and that is an understatement. It’s been three months since I had a drink, and to be honest I’m sure as hell thinking about having one. I scream at no one in particular, the person I want to be yelling at isn’t here. To my credit, I’m not crying. Not this time."

  • Armored Cynic Daria, Episode 1: Esteem Rising, by RX-87 (COMPLETE!): "PA: Attention! Attention! A state of emergency has been declared! All residents are to proceed to their nearest emergency shelter immediately in a calm and orderly fashion! Do not attempt to evacuate the colony! Repeat, a state of emergency... DARIA: Not that you seem like the type to listen to authority, but shouldn't we be looking for a shelter right now? JANE: Fuck that shit. We're blowing this joint."

  • Birthday Surprise (Iron Chef: Daria character wins lottery prize), by DeacBlue (part 9): "Paul looked at his girlfriend as she set the handset down. 'Rita, why are you doing this?' She glared at him. 'Because they're family, goddammit.' She set her hands on the table. 'I deserve a bigger piece of that pie then the measly ten thousand that that little bitch gave me. If they don't want to give it to me nicely, I guess I'll have to act like a Barksdale and work my way into it.'"

  • Disconnect the Dots, by InvisibleDan (part 11): "The bar was not that full, maybe because it was still relatively early, maybe because the weather had made everyone stay home. In the back I saw Susan sitting at a small table with three other men. She was flashing plenty of cleavage and had put on plenty of makeup, which I could see even from a distance. She spotted me and I waved hello and walked back towards her."

  • A Distant Lawndale (Part Two), by Arena del Sur (part 2): "I took my backpack and walked to the door. That morning we have a magnificent sun. I had enough time to pick up Jane, I left that my legs carried me on the path of every day. What pain did my father have kept deep down in his heart?"

  • Educator DeMartino in: DARIA DEATH LIVES (Scenes no Daria fanfic should have: The Morning After), by Charles RB (part 2): "NIKKI: Ewwwww! NERDS! And they SMELL funny! TORI: They're not popular at ALL, I don't know what they're- Panel 2. The crowd get a better look at the Judges and start freaking - Daria has grabbed someone and is shoving them into the chip bowl. BRITTANY: AAAAA! They're not NORMAL NERDS!"

  • The Fight (Otherwise known as One J at a Time) (Iron Chef: Daria and Quinn, Best Friends), by Reven384 (COMPLETE!): "'I'm a failure,' Quinn said. 'No your not. I may have given you unrealistic expectations on what being in a relationship intails,' Daria said. 'Wait a second that can't be right. I went to you for serious advice and you lied to me,' Quinn said looking confused."

  • God Save The Esteem ep41: Is It Fun Yet?, by Charles RB (part 7): "'Hmmm. I’m not sure where to start with this one. Wait, no, got it: security guards do go and tell people where they can and can’t stand. It’s a way of guarding a place in a secure manner. That’s why we’re called security guards.' 'I thought we just sat around doing nothing.' 'Ideally, but if someone tells us to do our jobs we have to actually go and do them,' explained Steve. 'Otherwise we get fired and then have to work in a harder job. This is where I’ve seen guards get it wrong.'"

  • Lawndale School of Magic Part One: The New Kids, by Reven384 (part 3): "'I wonder what we’re having today,' Jane said. 'How about a serving of Charles,' said a sleazy voice. Daria’s head turned and saw a guy with red hair and a fancy suit. She could feel the power radiating off of him, and could tell he was a skilled magic user. She turned to Jane to ask who this guy was when she saw that Jane had a look of pure lust in her eyes. Suddenly Daria’s body was hit by a sharp shock."

  • Life After Highland Ch. 2: 3 of Swords, by LadieT (part 2): "The drive to school was very quiet. After they parked, Quinn watched her older sister walk away and sighed. She was torn - she genuinely liked her aunt, but knew that both her mother and Amy had valid points. What concerned her the most though was Daria's reaction to the conversation."

  • The Mageborn Cynic (IC : Daria and the School of Magic), by peetz5050 (parts 2 and 3): "'May I offer a warm welcome to all of you on this fine Autumn day. As I'm sure you know through diligence and effort this college has achieved a reputation as the premier educational center for the Mageborn on this continent. I expect nothing less than a like application of diligence and effort from each of you as you progress through your courses. Proper education is an opportunity to be seized and built upon. There are books of rules governing conduct in this establishment but I have two rules you must remember: Work hard and don't die'." (Part 3)

  • A Resentful Cynic ch. 2 No Party . No Problem, by ST91 (part 5): "'Come on Daria, don’t be like that. You'll see, you will enjoy yourself.” Said Jane. 'Or at least you’ll have a pleasant evening.' Andrea said with a wink. 'I don’t think I will.' Daria said. 'Why?' Andrea and Jane asked in chorus. 'Quinn is coming.' Daria said, pointing out with her finger the red head girl who approached them very quickly."

  • Star Trek: Daria - Resurrection, by echopapa (part 2): "'She's coming out of the coma, Doctor.' Hm. Bright lights. I guess there is a Heaven, after all...wait. Why would Heaven need a doctor?"

  • Unnamed story (Scenes no Daria fanfic should have: The Morning After), by BrownEyedBagel (COMPLETE!): "(Daria and Jane are minding their own buisness when Brittany slowly edges up to them sobbing silently) Daria:'...Brittany...(sighs) is everything OK?' Brittany:' NO! Everything's NOT OK! I'm pregnant!'"

No comments: