Jodie's rereading How to Win Friends and Influence People in honor of the author, Dale Carnegie, who was born on this day in 1888. How she has time for what I assume is leisure reading is beyond me, but I'm sure she's just cramming in a few pages before her next obligation.
Today is also Evolution Day, which celebrates the anniversary of the publication of Charles Darwin's book On the Origin of Species in 1859. In the immortal words of Kevin Thompson, "Darwin's the monkey guy, right? I like monkeys."
- "Aw Mama...Can This Really Be The End?", by Scissors MacGillicutty (part 27): "'Jay, c'mon--if you get behind this--'"
- Hey Man, Nice Shot, by 45Ranger (parts 4 and 5): "Daria stepped through the door. 'You wanted to see me?' 'Yes, Morgendorffer, take a seat. I want to discuss the shortcomings of your training.' Armalin raised his hand to forestall the protest he knew was coming." (Part 5)
- Lawndale High Society (Shorty Shorts), by ognawk (COMPLETE!): "'Expelled, Elsie? Expelled?' Angier said in disgust, 'Five generations of Sloanes have all graduated from Fielding and you're the first to get expelled. What do you have to say for yourself, young lady?'"
- Misery Machine, by NightGoblyn (parts 5 and 6): "'I hereby call this meeting of the Misery Chicks Local 513 to order,' Jane said, grinning broadly. Stacy chuckled, Andrea took a drag off her cigarette and said nothing, and Daria rolled her eyes. Quinn glanced around the circle, shrugged to herself, and walked over to the nearby tool shed to see if anything interesting was inside." (Part 6)
- Redux, by Princess_Pasta (part 16): "'Go ahead and say it.' Daria muttered, 'This is what I deserve for treating you like crap. You can have the reigns back. I'm through.' Quinn shook her head, 'I wasn't going to say that. I don't really know what to say.'"
- Scars, by legendeld (parts 4 and 5): "Helen Morgendorffer had felt many emotions throughout her life, standing in her bedroom with her husband looking like he was having to restrain himself from tossing her under the nearest bus was bringing out something far worse than fear, shame." (Part 5)
- That was then, this is weird, by Ranma (COMPLETE!): "'I'll go see if we have any popcorn, we should since Trent's afraid of it now' Jane said getting up from her bed. 'That sounds goo... wait; what? Trent's afraid of popcorn, how'd that happen?' asked Daria with her left eyebrow raised."