Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Aye, And a Bonnie Day It Tis!

Another day full of interesting anniversaries. First, this is Tartan Day, for those of you who are Scottish-ally inclined and like to wear kilts. Tim O'Neill here is doing his fair share, dressed more or less like William Wallace from the movie Braveheart. At least that's what the note for the alter ego said.

That TV show loved only by little kids who weren't put off by Baby Bop's screeching voice, Barney & Friends, had its debut 18 years ago today. (Oh, the horror, I had to leave the room whenever it came on. I am a broken man.) The image at left is from a Beavis and Butt-head episode.

In the U.S.A., today is Student-Athlete Day, so appropriate for the Lawndale Lions, though none of them is on hand to be a mascot.

And, finally, the North Pole was reached on this day 102 years ago by Daria and Jane. No, sorry, that should be Peary, Henson, and four Inuit men. Amazing story there. With the warming trend at the poles, soon the only way to get there will be to swim.

Interesting new directions for creative works in the fandom are still being debated.

And with that in mind...

ARTZ!
PPMB
  • Finn Morgendorffer 41: It's Called Boston, by HolyGrail2007 (Part 3): “Yeah, I guess I should unpack. Maybe I’ll get my friend Duke Hudson to get us some drinks.” “Finn, you don’t know anyone up here.” “Duke Hudson is the name on Finn’s fake ID.”
  • NEW! Nightfalls and Sunrises, by ticknart (COMPLETE!): Well, it's been a quiet week in Lawndale, my hometown, out there on the edge of that city... [Can you guess who's talking?] ...And that's the news from Lawndale, where all the women are insidious, the men are ineffectual, and the children bewildered beyond belief.
  • NEW! The Ninth Circle of Helen, by Brother Grimace (COMPLETE!): “Oh, Gerald—will you forgive me?” Helen asked me. “I was running late already – Amy and Reese are in town, and the twins were bouncing all around; there’s nothing like a pair of twelve-year-olds dueling through the house about which boy on TV is cuter, and there was a bit of a clothing disaster at breakfast.”
  • On the Road with Mystik Spiral, by CR85747 (COMPLETE!): “Hello, Tucson!” Trent Lane bellows out. The lead guitarist of Mystik Spiral is at the Rialto Theater, Tucson's historic downtown live entertainment destination. The band is preparing to begin a set leaden with the few songs that got play on the successful MTV series Daria, concluding with their biggest-- and only--hit, “Freakin' Friends,” which made #24 on the Billboard active rock charts.

2 comments:

CAP said...

When I look at O'Neil's William Wallace, I have a vision of him charging King Edward's forces while sing Monty Python's Lumberjack Song

The Angst Guy said...

I am sorry to say that I can see that, too. Maybe I should go back on my meds.