On this day in 1937, Howard Hughes beat his own airspeed record by flying from Los Angeles to New York City in 7 hours, 28 minutes and 25 seconds. Tom may never have flown an airplane, but he has apparently found his own way to emulate the eccentric billionaire.
Also on this day, writer/poet Edgar Allan Poe was born in 1809. Happy birthday, you delightfully creepy man! Daria is seen reading The Telltale Heart in the episode "Gifted," in which she responds to Brittany's assumption that the story is a romance with, "Yeah, nothing says 'be mine' like a pounding heart beneath a floorboard."
Two fanfics have put a Daria spin on one of Poe's most famous works, "The Raven": The Cynic by Steve Mitchell and A Raven, Nothing More by Lew Richardson. Enjoy!
- BlackHole has been made a moderator in the Other Languages forum! Also, Kara Wild is looking for fluent French speakers who are interested in becoming moderators as well.
- Watermelon Man asks if the DVD release of Daria has created a resurgence in popularity?
- Deref and his wife will be taking a trip to various parts of Europe and the United States. Can you make it for a Dariacon?
- Dork wants to know, how old is the Daria fanbase? Vote in the poll!
- ticknart now has a spotlight thread! Time to think up some tough questions.
- J-D is looking for information about the U.S. college application process.
- What do you consider to be the signature styles of Daria writers? Discuss it in Brother Grimace's thread.
- Gjork is looking for Beavis & Butthead/Daria crossovers. Can you help?
- Four more Iron Chefs in the Creative Writing forum: Kael Seoras offers Asteroid Apocalypse, Roentgen gives us State by State, Vukodlak suggests If Daria had a daughter like Quinn, and Wassersauefer brings up Lawndale Horror High.