The first Kentucky Derby was run on this day in 1875. The winner was a horse named Aristides, who I'm sure ran much faster than Helen ever could.
Also on this day, in 1954, Brown v. Board of Education was decided. This not only led to the desegregation of public schools, but also was a significant step forward for the civil rights movement. Hooray!
- Daria & ..., by HeirOfNorton (part 1): "Mom got Quinn out of the car, and she and Dad stood next to Daria to look at the house. 'Who are we visiting here?' Daria asked. Her parents just looked at her for a moment, and Daria turned away, afraid she had said something weird again. 'Daria, we're not visiting anyone here,' Mom said. 'We're moving here.'"
- Life in Lawndale, by Chris Tucker (COMPLETE!): "'Dammit! You don't NEED to do this!' Intellectually, she knew this for a fact. Emotionally, she still didn't trust adults, particularly adults who were her mother and father. Evan a mother and father who had shown her and her younger sister nothing but love and affection and support, who had never hit them, who had never abused them. Unlike back at the old house. In Greyfield."
- Life Through A Glass Enclosure (Long Story Challenge #4, Round 1), by LadieT (part 1): "There on the front page was local celebrities Mystik Spiral after they announced that they would be starting their second world tour in their home town. After several years of struggling to make a name for themselves, they were finally on their way. Curtis crumpled up the paper in disgust as he thought about what could have been. "
- Not So Different 22: Getting The Silver Lining To The Mint, by J-D (COMPLETE!): "'Sonny Morgendorffer', she said, with surprising interest, and then a moment later, 'You don’t look well. What happened to your neck?' Sonny was confused. He didn’t know anything had happened to his neck. What could happen to a neck? Broken? Guillotined? 'You’ve got a horrible blotchy rash.'"
- Not So Different 23: Why Would Anybody Ask Us?, by J-D (COMPLETE!): "Why couldn’t Quinn learn to keep her big fat stupid mouth shut—sorry, keep her cute sweet perfectly shaped and optimally proportioned stupid mouth shut? Sonny had had no success before with aversion therapy, but he had not yet had a better idea. He asked his parents if the ‘everybody’ who should go included them. Initially, it appeared, his mother had only meant every student, but Sonny pointed out the opportunity for their parents to support Quinn by cheering from the footlights. Quinn’s facial features tried to escape from each other at the thought. There! Sonny thought. See what happens when you open your mouth? So stop doing it!"
- Quinn of Hearts, by Kristen Bealer (COMPLETE!): "'Well, good luck to y--hold on, did you just say Pizza Prince is open?!' Jane cried. 'Uh huh. I guess the renovations didn't take as long as they expected or something.' Daria leaned toward Jane to say in a low voice, 'Someone finally paid off the Health Department.'"
- Rude Awakening Ep 5: Switching Formats, by DIsaac (parts 2 and 3): "JANE: I know what you want to say, but I won't let you finish like Kayne. What if Upchuck being female makes him more sensitive to the feeling of other people. I could see 'Female' Upchuck being a hopeless romantic. DARIA: Jane, you just described Stacy Rowe. She is sensitive to the feelings of others and is a chronic hopeless romantic. JANE No, you mean 'Hopeful' romantic. Upchuck is Hopeless!" (Part 3)
- Silent Melody, by Silver (part 2): "Daria shook the thoughts off, and straightened up. She blinked, glancing around. Her eyes drifted over the milling crowd around Lawndale High. Her eyes finally fell on a girl sitting some yards away. Her eyes were covered by sunglasses with two very different lenses- one red and circular, the other green and rectangular. The girl stood, smirking, and started walking towards her."
- Topsy-Turvy (Scenes no Daria fanfic should have: It's Friday!!), by thatLONERchick (COMPLETE!): "Quinn knelt on Daria's shoulders, pounding fists into the prone girl's face again and again. Jane stood aside, arms crossed, and frowned as she watched the brutal display. Her eyes were chips of blue ice."
- Unnamed story (Scenes no Daria fanfic should have: It's Friday!!), by Brother Grimace (COMPLETE!): "(Judith faces Daria Wraithkiller on the top of the Sears Tower, when - from out of nowhere - in pops Agency supervisor Richard (on lead guitar), Archangel (on bass) and Reiko Tsereba (on drums).) Judith: (actually surprised) What the hell is this?"