Daria is currently yelling at the TV because she's against the banning of books. That's appropriate, because this week is Banned Books Week--but go ahead and yell at your appliance of choice to protest censorship any other time of the year, too.
If you're looking for something good and controversial for your reading pleasure, see this list of frequently challenged classic books. If you're already read them all, why don't you write a story taking people you know in real life and turning them into fictional characters? It'll be a special assignment, just for you!
- Credence, by Astrocar82 (part 4): "'I want you to stay away from my Kevvie,' Brittany nearly shouted, with anger dotting her face as she stopped just a few feet short of Daria. 'Will do,' Daria monotoned as she continued to get the books out of her locker."
- Daria 1/2, by LSauchelli (part 8): "She wondered what would’ve happened if Ranma had been a second slower. Would Quinn care enough to admit that it was her sister that died? Would her father cry and drink himself to his grave? Would her mother hunt down her killer?"
- Daria on Top, by PrecambrianStudios (part 2): "I was in luck. Not only is this boy with glasses (his name is Patrick) unbelievably wealthy, but he also happens to be very, very malleable."
- Diversions (Daria and the Gang Thread), by Roentgen (COMPLETE!): "'I don't know,' Quinn said to Stacy ten minutes after the final bell rang. 'I'm just...you know...in a rut. After the Fashion Club broke up, things have gotten boring.'"
- Dylan, by J-D (part 29b): "Then International Friendship Day lowered her voice to say, 'Everything from Buddha's Birthday to United Nations Day, but not everybody's comfortable talking about that at the moment. Since those three burn-outs ran away to Lawndale, Columbia and Lady Liberty have been going around saying that if we don't have a New Year we might as well give the designation to the Fourth of July.'"
- The Great And The Good, by ognawk (part 19): "Daria ended the call and got up off the bed. 'That was Jane. She wants me to come over. Something bad happened.'"
- Life, There's More: Sweet Dreams, by RLobinske (part 6): "'Ms. Trainor and Ms. Rudolph have agreed to a Caesarean Section delivery for Ms. Trainor to avoid further risk to mother and child. She is being prepared for surgery and we will keep in informed as we have more information.'"
- Moments in Emerald Light, by Lord Yellowtail (parts 3 and 4): "The Ring is power beyond her wildest imagination, and the biggest reason she hesitates so long before deciding to begin being a real Green Lantern—not just practicing in her basement and the woods at night—is the far that she might hurt someone too much, or completely by accident." (Part 4)
- Mood Music (Scenes No Daria Fan-Fic Should Have: Why, oh God WHY?!), by Brother Grimace (COMPLETE!): "News of the new girl's encounter with Jane Lane and Jodie Landon spread like wildfire."
- A New Direction (Iron Chef: My Dad, the director), by peetz5050 (part 12): "'I think I pulled off the ingenue schtick without a glitch. Now let's get inside so I can relax a bit. Well would you look at these three wannabees. The wicked witch of the East and her flying monkeys. The Asian one looks like she's a couple of outfits short of a full wardrobe and pigtails is... uh oh, there she goes... and that's jenga. So what do I do? Step over her or play nice? Cameras are still on so nice it is.'"
- Unnamed story (IC: Creationist Daria: Were you there?), by Charles RB (COMPLETE!): "'Were you there?' asked Daria, smirking."
- Unnamed story (IC: Early Meeting), by ashk09 (COMPLETE!): "It had been a weird day from Jane's perspective; rather than catching-up on sleep, or sketching, as she would normally have done during Self-Esteem Class – a course that she had taken so many times now that she could recite O'Neill's speech backwards – she had actually bothered to engage with one of her colleagues."
- A Whirled Wind Romance, by ognawk (COMPLETE!): " As she took another bite, a vaguely familiar figure approached her table with some pizza. He had long blonde hair and was dressed in a red shirt and black pants. 'Wind?' she said, finally recognizing Jane's oldest brother, 'What are you doing here?'"
- Yes, by Sofa King (COMPLETE!): "'Gruff' entered the Georgetown apartment he shared with his girlfriend, Brittany Taylor, and dropped his keys in the bowl by the door. 'Britt?' he called. 'How'd it go today?' Hearing a noise coming from the kitchen, he hurried towards it to find Brittany on her knees in front of the sink, sobbing quietly, as she seemed be holding onto the lip of the countertop for dear life."