Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Yay, Secretariat!

Thirty-six years ago today, Secretariat won the Triple Crown at Belmont by the most incredible margin imaginable: 31 lengths! Hooray!

Hmmm. Perhaps some of you feel it is more important to celebrate instead the 12th anniversary of the first showing of "Pinch Sitter," which broke the mini-drought for the show's first season, but to each his/her/its own. It did mark the first time that zombies were mentioned in the show, I believe:

Tad: But too much TV is bad for you.
Tricia: It can turn you into a zombie, Daria.
Daria : Well, that'll make three of us.

It is worth mentioning one great line Daria gets in the episode. Love it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, this is not really related to the post, but as someone who was only recently introduced to "Daria" I'd like to say that I find it encouraging that after something like 7 years since the show ended there's still so much activity amongst the fans (not just here but for example on PPMB as well).
Eichler and co. created something that had quite an impact on many people (including myself)..

Keep it up!

E. A. Smith said...

I quote Daria's line about kids often (usually when someone asks about when Andrea and I are going to start having some of our own).

undefinedlust said...

E. A. Smith said...

I quote Daria's line about kids often (usually when someone asks about when Andrea and I are going to start having some of our own).


I tried that line with the wife... didn't work though... ~headdesk~

E. A. Smith said...

Fortunately, while Andrea likes kids, she doesn't want any of her own.

undefinedlust said...

lucky man

I will most likely have to deal with kids on top of the tenure process... (assuming there are any tenure track jobs available again in my lifetime)

someone please find a way for me to fall asleep and wake up when I am an endowed chair and my kid has graduated...

The Angst Guy said...

Always remember to rent first before you buy. Especially when it comes to kids.

undefinedlust said...

wait? You mean they can't be returned? Damnit... she lied to me...

The Angst Guy said...

The dealership always forgets to give you a sales slip, so the purchases are nonrefundable.