Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Another Piece of Her Heart

Singer Janis Joplin, then with Big Brother & The Holding Company, performed her first live concert today 45 years ago at The Avalon in San Francisco. Quinn does her own performance in a Joplin-esque 1960s outfit at right, a bit reminiscent of Janis's appearance on the cover of her last album, Pearl. Janis was terrific.

I confess I was taken aback in recent weeks by the virtual flood of fanfiction from writers. More power to you, Daria fans!

FF.net
  • Sinspiration, by Vlora (Part 18): "And at about $1,800, you should have a new wall… and windows. And support beams. Actually…" The builder ran through some more numbers till he handed Trent a slip of paper sporting more zeros than anything else. "$3,500," Trent read, looking between the builder and the paper before coughing a little. "Can we, uh, get back to you?" [The story even mentions Paul Gauguin!]
PPMB
  • 11:30, by Disco316 (COMPLETE!): "So, you got clearance to do this at 11:30, right?" "That’s right." "So, is it 11:30 yet, Daria?" "Nope, not yet."
  • FBCB, by Wraith (finally continued!): "Right. You guys get ready. I'll deal with him." Quinn stalked over to the closet door, ripped the bar out of the way, opened the door, and immediately slammed it shut again. “Ew!”
  • Fundamental Daria: Numb, by Disco316 (COMPLETE!): “Just leave me alone!” I shouted, and slammed the door to my room. I had been on the edge of tears, and if getting my mother off my back had taken any longer, I might not have made it to my bed.
  • Reaped Out (Dead Like Me crossover), by PinkMinx (Parts 11 and 12): "Jesus, Trent. Remind me why I agreed to come here with you." Jane shot a look of concern toward her brother. "'Cause I said I'd buy you lunch." Trent looked down at Jane with a lopsided grin. "Plus there’s that new art store that’s opened. I hear they have the biggest range of gouache in the state." [Oh, no! Not... HIM!] [And now, Part 12, too!]

5 comments:

pinkminx said...

Hi TAG, my story is up to chapter 11 not 10, the excerpt is from 11. :)

Anonymous said...

Good gravy, that picture of Quinn looks grossly disproportional (it's the bell bottoms).

The Angst Guy said...

Hi TAG, my story is up to chapter 11 not 10, the excerpt is from 11.

Uh, yes, that's what I said. 11.

the bug guy said...

Tag, you need a sound file of Daria saying, "Reap, reap," from Is It College Yet?
:)

pinkminx said...

oops sorry i meant you skipped 10- nm all good :)
keep up the superb efforts