In a sad historical note, it was on this day in 1980 that John Lennon was assassinated. Even thirty years after his death, though, his influence is still going strong in the world.
There were only a couple of references to John Lennon and/or the Beatles in Daria episodes. First, in "Malled," Daria says, "If you play that John Lennon song backwards, it says, 'Imagine all the people, browsing in a mall.' Isn't that weird?" Second, in "The New Kid," Daria contributes to Ted DeWitt-Clinton's delinquency not just by giving him gum, but also by loaning him a Beatles cassette.
The Beatles are much better represented in fanfic. I was going to go through all the fanfic archives and find them all, but I realized three things.
- There are actually quite a lot of them out there, and I'd probably still miss a whole bunch of good ones even if I tried.
- It would be much more fun to open it up to everyone else.
- I'm excruciatingly lazy.
All of these factors put together mean that I'm going to ask all of you to post about your favorite Beatles-related fanfics/fanart/other Daria stuff in the comments. Go nuts!
In the meantime, here's the fandom news update.
- The PPMB has been having frequent outages and related errors lately, but Kara Wild assures us the problem will be fixed soon, when the board moves to a new server.
- RLobinske reminds everyone to nominate their favorite Daria fanfics and fanart for the Daria Fanworks Awards.
- Deref has started a thread to discuss vintage cars.
- What anime are you into right now? vlademir1 wants to know!
- Two more Iron Chefs in the Creative Writing forum: Daria in Therapy and Papa Barksdale?
- New fan tazraven is looking for good Daria/Jane slash fics. Post if you've got a recommendation for her!