On this day in 1999, the episode "Through a Lens Darkly" aired for the first time. In it, we got to see Daria without her glasses, a freaky dream sequence, a rare appearance from Amy Barksdale, and an almost-but-not-quite vehicular dogslaughter. Oh, and a recurrence of the "talking toilet" joke first seen in "Pierce Me."
Richard Lobinske wrote "Lessons," one alternate universe version of the events in the episode. Ajar wrote another version in Regifted 2: I Put Away Joyless Things. I'm not sure if there have been any other retellings, though. If not, there should be. What if Daria had decided to keep the contacts? Would it have changed anything later in the show? For example, would Tom have approached Daria first instead of Jane? Interesting food for thought, anyway.
- Best wishes and condolences go out to those affected by the earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Congratulations to Ranger Thorne, who started a new job recently!
- Watermelon Man poses an interesting philosophical question: is morality relative?
- What do you think of the phrase "Everything happens for a reason"? Post your opinion in the thread.
- J-D has a question about "Boxing Daria" and continuity.
- arenadelsur wonders about Frank Zappa in "That Was Then, This is Dumb."
- Liz Ruiz's rewarding the classics thread is still going strong. Discuss your favorite older fics there!