Today is the 101st anniversary of the founding of the Boy Scouts of America. Aside from the appearance in "Legends of the Mall," shown on the right, the only real reference made to the Boy Scouts in Daria is that Jake and Rita's boyfriend Paul were in the Scouts together as boys. However, without the Boy Scouts we probably would not have had Girl Scouts, and Jane would never have had to endure hearing the song "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" while going on hikes. And who wants that?
By the way, has anyone ever written a story about Jake in Boy Scouts? If not, they should. Like, right now. I'll wait. (checks watch)
While we wait, here's the latest fanfic:
- Another normal day in Lawndale, by JPAGC (part 9): "Jane watched her closely. Her long experience being a teenage semi-outcast had taught her that, in some rare occasions, more popular classmates would secretly approach and confide in her, usually to relieve tension about a test, parent's expectations, friendships or pour their hearts out about girlfriends or boyfriends. It was as if being a semi-abandoned semi-alternative teenage artist led others to the conviction she was discreet and available. She didn't quite understand it, but she didn't mind nor complain, as she though these things kind of protected her of being a complete outcast and thrown to the wolves."
- Daria/Dorian Ch. 13 Paper Towels and Open Flames Don't Mix, by LadieT (part 1): "Dorian was sound asleep after spending several hours working out with Mack and the three Js. The Daria side of his brain, however heard her father's screams. Dorian, this isn't a social call. The house is on fire so GET YOUR ASS UP AND GET US OUT OF HERE! Dorian grabbed his glasses and bolted out of bed. He ran into Quinn as he left his room. His parents were already heading outside. Helen was on her cellphone calling the fire department. They met out by the curb as their neighbors started to gather around. A few minutes later, sounds of sirens blaring filled the air."
- Daria is Raven's Apprentice, by project pegasus: "Daria: (to Jodie) Boy, things sure have changed since I left. Jodie: More like since Sandi left. Raven: That's right. Arrowette put an arrow through her head. Jodie: Thanks for the expository material." (Another part here)
- Fugitive Chapter 7: Britpop, by Wassersauefer (COMPLETE!): "In front of him stood a middle-aged man, probably the owner of the shop. His smile seemed somehow off, as if he was incredibly pleased to see someone in his store. He had a neatly trimmed beard of short raven black hair and equally black scalp hair, styled like a proper gentleman from way back would have done it. He wore a white shirt decorated with quillings, a black shiny black vest, black pants and round, black sunglasses. But what he really looked at was the man's walking stick, decorated with a shiny, skull shaped knob on the tip. For a moment he thought the eyes of said skull were shining."
- Galahad (Iron Chef: Mary Sue), by Cap: "Daria held up a hand stopping the flow of adjectives. 'For a teenager,' she began. 'Galahad's good looking in a traditional masculine manner. He's also intelligent, a gentleman in the truest sense, surprisingly sophisticated, very talented, amazingly patient and unfailingly kind but will stomp the crap out of anyone I ask him to.' 'Ooooh, sounds perfect,' Jane cooed. 'When do I get to meet him?' 'Graduation,' Daria replied peevishly."
- Genesis, by VPrad (part 4): "Next to her car stood the person responsible for Trent's current condition, the woman who had destroyed his mind, Daria Morgendorffer, and behind her, her sister Quinn. Without saying a word, Jane walked towards her. 'Hello Jane.' Daria said softly when she was close enough. Without saying a word, Jane threw a hard punch to her face that sent her glasses flying. The impact of Jane's fist caused Daria to fall to the ground. 'I told you this would happen if I ever saw you again.'"
- God Save The Esteem ep20: Bearing Gifts, by Charles RB (COMPLETE!): "She found the table easy enough. She could see her grandmother and the Fielding professor, the latter clearly bewildered, the former freezing in mid-greet and only just keeping down a look of horror. Grandma Barksdale had not expected Daria to turn up in her usual clothes, combat boots and all. And she certainly hadn't expected Daria to have a shock of bright-green hair."
- Holiday Roadtrip, by Chris Tucker: "10 minutes later, having SLOOWWLY made it to the exit, they were able to pull into the parking lot of a gas station/diner. The three girls got out of the car and stretched. 'You know, we could just stay here. There's a gas station and a place to eat. We have cell phones and a computer. I say we just live in the car, transfer to the University of Phoenix and finish our college educations online. It'd be faster than trying to get back to Boston.'"
- The House of Cards, by Doggieboy (part 3): "Robert walked into the bathroom to relieve himself and wash his hands one last time before he left. When the door crashed open and a flash-bang grenade went off, he cried out in shock and looked into the mirror as his eyes turned black in color. Despite the shock to his ears, he heard two men rush into the room and turned to face them."
- How to Train Your Daria, by Hyrin (part 2): "'I still can't get over that: there are dragons here! Real dragons. That's cool.' 'Why are you surprised? Didn't you read the information that we got when we signed up for this program?' Jane's smirk answered that question. Daria sighed. “The people who live here are the descendants of a group that broke away from the Vikings 300 years ago to hunt dragons. It was three years ago that the fighting between the two groups finally stopped. Now, the dragons are integrated into their society and you're asleep so I'm going to shut up now. A light snore was Jane's only reply."
- Lawndale Seven Chapter One, by Wassersauefer (part 2): "Highland had never been this fun. There she couldn't even get into the clubs, here they only took a good look on her and let her in with a smile. Even if the big bouncer was really intimidating, with all the spikes on his head and his arms bigger than her body. One minute she was dancing very close with a boy she didn't even wanted to know the name of, the next moment she got handed a pink drink by someone. She mouthed a thanks, it was way to loud to talk, before she took a sip. It tasted sweet and had a funny aftertaste."
- Life As We View It, by GingerLove84 (parts 1 - 6): "(Cut to Daria near the door. She's got her boots on now and has already carried her bags to the car. She pauses, looking hesitant. Sighing, she steps out the door and starts to lock it, jumping as her cell phone rings. Flipping it open, she puts it to her ear as she locks the door.) JANE: The apartment will be fine Morgendorffer. You haven't forgotten anything, lock it up and go." (Part 2)(Part 3) (Part 4) (Part 5) (Part 6)
- Life Beyond Highland, by LadieT (part 15): "Before Daria could answer, Professor Barch entered the room. Daria just nodded and focused her attention to the woman at the front of the class. The middle-aged woman gave a long scan of the room before spending the rest of the class going over the safety rules for the class. The one thing Daria realized early on was that the teacher really hated the male students in her class. Great, just what I need. A whacko nut job professor near dangerous chemicals. Remind me to find the local Army/Navy store and see of they have a hazmat suit in my size."
- LLH Alternate Future 06 - Please Give Me Your Full Attention, by psychotol: "'MISSING, NUCLEAR, MATERIAL, BRITTANY!' said Jane. ... 'We have no choice. We spare anyone from finding that in favour of anything even finding one of our own ... ... ' 'Missing fissile nuclear material,' said Jodie, 'enough for forty critical masses, up to thirty eight nukes. On the plus side,' said Jodie."
- Oh, By The Way, by RLobinske (parts 4 and 5): "When Jake stepped forward toward Quinn, he bumped into Helen. When their eyes met, they saw the overloading emotion in the other's eyes and at the same time, Helen said, 'Heart Attack!' while Jake said, 'Stroke! The exclamations broke Jake and Helen from their shock. A sudden, huge grin formed on Jake's face before he said, 'I'm going to be a grandfather!'" (Part 5)
- Promises, by LadieT (part 4): "Jane and Jake sat quietly on opposite sides of Cleo's bed. Every so often, Jake would turn and look at Jane and see the concern on her face. Unlike Helen, Jake didn't hate Jane. He wanted his oldest daughter to be happy and if Jane made her smile, then he was satisfied with that. He was more upset over the fact that Helen had denied him one of the few things he had wanted to do in life, walking Daria down the aisle at her wedding."
- Quinn's Code - Story 1: The Esteemsters Code, by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 7): "'What are Mom and Dad arguing about, Daria?' she asked. 'Better to ask her than to try to ask them,' she thought. 'I suggested to Mom that we go to Pizza Forest for Dinner like we used to,' Daria said, matter of factly. Quinn had also seen the Lawndale franchise of Pizza Forest near the Mall the previous day. 'The place with the singers! No wonder they are arguing, Daria. Most of the people hired to be the singers can hardly hold a note!'"
- Random fic, by GingerLove84 (COMPLETE!): "Her husband was at a gig, something he did mainly for fun these days. He'd long ago surrendered to the fact that his band was not going to support his family. But the gigs still gave him a rush that nothing could replace. Daria had stopped joining him after the baby was born, but she remembered the excitement of gig night well. There was always something magical about watching him on stage, and it always brought back the memories of the night that changed her life forever."
- Save the Last Trance for Me, by jtranser: "O.K., Daria, just how hot was it 60 million years ago?' 'I dunno, Jane, let me check the paleothermometer....' 'Paleothermometer? I've never heard of it.' 'It's one of those ideas that didn't go quite far enough. You know, like the Small Bang Theory. Still, the invention has some positive uses....'"
- Spirit of the Game, Nature of the Beast, by HolyGrail2007 (parts 19 and 20): "While she truly didn't care anymore for them, it only mattered because of Tom. Bianca didn't want to tarnish the opinion of the one person whose opinion actually mattered to her. Her one friend here, who didn't see her as some lust object or an agent of sabotage to be used. He saw a person, a friend. A feeling Bianca could barely remember, but she liked it." (Part 20)
- Unnamed story (Crossovers Still Crossing Over), by peapotmaster (COMPLETE!): "Daria: I am Daria, and I didn't know I was related to some barbarian named He-Man. Magical powers were given to me when I lifted up my sword and said: "By the Honor of Grayskull!""
- Unnamed story (Iron Chef: The USA and Canada mine, So how did I do it?), by Cap (COMPLETE!): "Daria closed the heavy drapes turning around in disgust. She snapped her fingers at the nearest flunky."