Miniature Golf Day. When he was told that the holiday was for miniature golf, not regular golf, he sagely replied, "Cool."
J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit was published on this day in 1937, so now's the time to make a lumpy candle for your significant other. Or was it a wizard?
Finally, this is Banned Books Week, so Daria's sure to be yelling at her television in her fight against censorship.
- ASPS 3, by PrecambrianStudios (part 1): "Scratching at the stubble on his face, he thought, I am genuinely looking forward to meeting you. Dmitri was the key. Dmitri would help him to change Fielding."
- Daria: College Pains Redux, by James the Lesser (part 23): "'I don't smoke any more. She made us quit after the cops were here for Tom's sister. If I had gotten busted for it I'd be in prison.' 'Oh, true.' Jane had liked Lindy before but now she was surprised to find a kind of respect, almost reverence, for Lindy. She had gotten Trent and the rest of Mystic Spiral to do more than they had for years."
- Mine, by Vukodlak (part 11): "Daria stared at her dresser where she'd set the little white stick to wait out the three minutes. She hadn't been this nervous in years; but at least this time she had Tom's lap to settle into."
- Possibilities, by Sureia (part 24): "It had come as something of a shock to Matt when he learned that Hollywood had been lying to him about endings all his life. In the movies the hero generally got to walk away unmolested and being able to defend yourself earned you respect and personal space. Reality, it turned out, was a lot less considerate."
- Psychiatric Devaluation, by DarkDranzer (part 2): "'Ah, Anthony. I take it you received my message?' Anthony leaned back on the chair, causing it to creak and rolled his eyes at her question. 'It would be FOOLISH of me to say NO at this point, ESPECIALLY since you went through all the TROUBLE of calling me BEFORE SIX this morning.'"
- Unnamed story (Scenes No Daria Fan-Fic Should Have: No longer in the 1%), by DarkDranzer (COMPLETE!): "Mr. O'Neill: (with tissues on his lap while reading Little Women, did not notice a door slam shut and someone entering the stall next to him) Oh Jo...Be worthy love, and love will come in the falling summer r--* Mr. DeMartino: WUUUARRGHHH!!"
- Upper Echelon, by Princess_Pasta (part 16): "Daria averted her eyes, apparently very interested in the Periodic Table of Elements. Quinn noticed and immediately shifted to investigative mode. She could always tell when Daria was hiding something. The hard part was getting her to talk."