Brother Grimace wrote a great fanfic about this day: "The One Day We Forget." Nemo Blank wrote a story in which the Holiday Island spirit of Veterans Day, Joe, got to meet Quinn Morgendorffer ("Crossover"). The no-nonsense ROTC student known as Veterans Day (from Holiday Island High, of course) appeared on Daria in "Depth Takes a Holiday."
Today's most significant birthday anniversary, given the above, is that of General George S. Patton, Jr., to whom Mack pays homage at right. Mack imitates the opening scene from the 1970 movie Patton, in which the general (magnificently played by George C. Scott, at left) gives a stirring speech to American soldiers before D-Day. This occurred during the even bigger world war that followed the War to End All Wars. The movie Patton is mentioned in a few fanfics, including several chapters of the All My Children series.
General Patton believed he had been reincarnated from the souls of soldiers across history. Kevin Thompson believes something like that, too.
Other Major Daria-related Historical Events Today: Actor Leonardo DiCaprio, who was confused with Romeo by Sandi Griffin and Stacy Rowe thanks to the part he played in the movie Romeo and Juliet, turns 35. (Mr. DiCaprio is also mentioned in "The Lost Girls," and his role in Titanic reappears in "Just Add Water," handled by Mr. O'Neill.) Author Kurt Vonnegut, whose novel Breakfast of Champions is mentioned on Mr. O'Neill's blackboard in "Write Where It Hurts," was born 87 years ago. Fyodor Dostoevsky, whose novels Amy Barksdale almost certainly read as a teenager ("You spent the whole time barricaded in your room, reading those weird Russian novels!"), was born 186 years ago. U.S. Route 66, the famous transcontinental two-lane highway from Chicago to Los Angeles (the star of its own TV series almost five decades ago, and the only highway with its own theme song), turns 83 today. It has a role in this recent fanfic.teh KNOOZ
- Anne D. Bernstein, the original Jane Lane, shows off some new artwork.
I think I can guess who drew all of Jane's artwork from the series. (Relevant webpage here.)All I can say is, when I put my foot in my mouth, I really put my foot in my mouth. Sorry!
- "Daria: Hunter" character sketches have been posted on PPMB by Jim North and Pinhead. Win!
- NEW! Sinspiration, by Vlora (COMPLETE!): The radio finally began to make the same tinny sounds of a station rather than white noise. "-and after the ad break we'll have an exclusive interview with the lead guitarist and vocalist of the new, the hot, the amazing Mystik Spiral." [The Daria/Trent shipper HAS RETURNED!]
- ___ Daria, by Trscroggs (COMPLETE but can be expanded!): Daria Morgendorffer, Raft sophomore, pushed her book cart through the empty stacks on Raft’s largest library after-hours. The part-time librarian job was less than ideal, but since it was a relatively easy way to get spending cash Daria worked hard enough to insure she kept it. The job did have a few upsides. One was the keys, and permission, to head into parts of the stacks only dedicated researchers ever treed. Daria admitted she like the idea of the thought of hidden treasures within the faded brown and dull red covers of the library’s oldest general circulation tomes. It during one of these ‘treasure hunts’ that Daria stumbled across a treasure worth far more than words. [Daria/Cardcaptor Sakura]
- NEW! Falling into College 71: Merging Goals, by Richard Lobinske (Part 3): "Purchase Morgendorffer Consulting? Purchase Morgendorffer Consulting? Purchase Morgendorffer Consulting?"
- Finn Morgendorffer 13: Desperate Teenage Boys, by HolyGrail2007 (COMPLETE!): Finn walked down the road quietly, completely weirded out by all of the strange occurrences that happened today. He had gone to all three of his best friends’s houses to stay the night, and found himself leaving within a few hours at each of them. And I thought I had it bad, he thought.
- NEW! Invisible Love, by Charliefox2012 (Part 8): “So, no more passengers?” Trent asked, sounding slightly impatient. Jane looked at Trent sternly. “What’s your deal? It’s not like I pulled you away from anything important.” “I was practicing,” Trent muttered. “Uh-huh,” Jane said and turned to Duncan in the back seat. Smirking, she said, “Duncan, would you say sleeping with a guitar in your hands counts as practicing?” (FF.net)
- NEW! Sweet Dreams, by Vlademir1 (COMPLETE!): Sandi Griffin watched, smugly satisfied, as her best friend Stacy Rowe rushed around doing her bidding. For reasons she couldn't really explain she got a huge rush having the kind of power she did, and controlling Stacy in particular was even more of a total rush.
- Unnamed story (Iron Chef: Tooth and Nail), by Jim North (COMPLETE!): "Oh, well," he finally said into the empty room. "At least there's one person who will always love me."
- NEW! Unnamed story (Iron Chef: Tooth and Nail), by Jim North (COMPLETE!): "Oh, baby..." Mack whispered softly as he beheld the awesome sight before him. Gently, ever so gently, he ran his fingertips along the side of the cool shaft. "You like that?" he breathed. "Yah, you like that, don'tcha? Feels real nice when I do that..."
- Unnamed story (Iron Chef: Tooth and Nail), by Ticknart (COMPLETE!): "Mack," said Mr. O'Neill, "what are you doing here?" Michael looked up and said, "Nothing. Just relaxing before class." "So you'll be in here until class starts?" "If it's okay with you?" "Of course," said Mr. O'Neill, smiling. "I'll be right back." [STOP READING NOW BEFORE YOU GO BLIND!]