The Daria Fandom Blog II is now two years old. It had 51,000 hits last year at this point, and now has over 128,000. Thanks go to CINCGREEN for inspiring me with the DFB1, thanks go to all DFB2 followers and readers for your support, and thanks especially go to Viacom-Paramount-MTV-etc., for giving us Daria on DVD next year as our long-hoped-for and long-awaited treat.
Outpost Daria has updated! Go thither and rejoice!
Other Important Historical Date-things Today
- Harpo Marx was born this day 121 years ago. Jane Lane offers a snarky comment about a lesser known Marx Brother.
- The very first episode of Doctor Who premiered 46 years ago today on the BBC. Daria fanfic crossovers with this wonderful SF show include Yui Daoren's "Doctor Who-Gives-a-Damn," Ranger Thorne's "Lane Change," and Lawndale Stalker's work-in-progress "The House on Space-Time Lane" —epic stories all!
- An eloquent defense of the freedom of speech and freedom of the press, the Areopagitica, was published 364 years ago by John "Paradise Lost" Milton. I hadn't heard of it either, but quotations from it are astounding and very applicable to this fandom. Some of my favorites:
Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life.
Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.
- Another Pie, by Yami White Rain (COMPLETE!): "All I'm saying," Tom said, "I'm just not sure what king of self respecting dictator would take over Lawndale of all the places in the entire world." Daria paused from taking a bite from her slice of pizza. "He has a point. It's kind of insultingly easy to get them riled up."
- Finn Morgendorffer 16: Ambrosia Vinaigrette, by HolyGrail2007 (Part 2): “Instead of reading a story for its moral dimensions, why don’t you write one with moral dimensions?” “Excuse me?” “Daria, you are one of this school’s most talented writers, and your writing style is, well, it’s a little unpleasant, but it’s very well written.”
- Legion of Lawndale Heroes Mini: Part of the Solution, by Brother Grimace (COMPLETE!): The intercom on the desk sounded. “The representatives from the Society are here,” the voice spoke up. “Shall I take them to the conference room?” A woman’s voice responded. “Yes—and make sure that they are comfortable.”
Moar l8r. Stay tooned.