"Wraith's Ramblings" rambled into "Lane Miserables" territory nine years ago today. He said it was his favorite episode of the third season and remarked that perhaps Jake is not as clueless as is supposed.
Those familiar with my own ramblings know of my fondness for trying to think up a post-canon series in which certain Daria cast members (and maybe crossover folks) are hired on to fly a giant cargo aircraft around the world, sort of a poor man's Star Trek. The largest flying boat ever built, Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose," made its only flight 62 years ago today with millionaire movie director, aircraft manufacturer, and test pilot Howard Hughes himself at the controls. The mighty Goose is now housed at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon.
McMinnville was the site of a famous UFO case, by the way, and now hosts an annual UFO convention to rival those in Roswell, New Mexico. Party town!
Interestingly for Daria fandom, it was 52 years ago today that the Levelland, Texas, UFO event took place. Levelland is near Lubbock, in West Texas, where Highland is thought to be. (Some of my fics place Highland near Lubbock.) You gotta wonder if the Levelland UFO had anything to do with Beavis and Butt-head. I mean, you really gotta wonder. It would explain a lot.
An off-the-cuff remark by Losdia in the PPMB thread on social class and economics has spawned a series of projections by various fans of where the Daria characters are today and how they have fared in the last decade. A lot of fun is being had.
Why isn't MTV doing more to promote the Daria DVD coming out a year from now? Your thoughts, please. I mean, this cartoon hit the big time, seriously. Why no promo?
- Finn Morgendorffer 11: Man of Honor, by HolyGrail2007 (Part 2): “Amy? How delightful," said Rita. "I didn’t think you were going to attend.” “Well, I couldn’t miss the opportunity to watch the two of you put aside years of resentment. Or try to poison each other. Either way, more exciting then the plans I had fall through. Looks like Jake and Roger are hitting it off well.”
- John Lane 43: We're on a Mission, by Richard Lobinske (COMPLETE!): "You have to admit that what Ms. Ruiz did was fun." "Yeah, and now everyone wants one of her 'Get Out Of Class Free' cards."
- Reaped Out II: Sickle Sad World, by Pinkminx (Part 10): A sense of foreboding took over Daria as she approached the entrance of the mall. She had ten minutes to claim her reap, and the congregation of approximately fifty people surrounding the front doors was going to make it hard. Daria edged her way closer to the front of the crowd to get an idea of what was going on. (FF.net)
- The Revanche Chronicles: Touching Ground, by Silver (Part 1): Charles Ruttheimer III stared over the starboard side of the airship Revanche, occasionally calling directions out to the wheelhouse. Over the engines, Nicholas could occasionally be heard snapping about how much of a headache the Revanche was to land.
- Stacy Rowe, Seeker (Part III), by jtranser (continued): "Yeah, that's what you get for busting Dr. Korsakov and his bioluminescent menagerie of badgers, pandas, porcupines and wildebeests." "Well, Jane, he was warned and he did have it coming. Did he really think he could get away with manufacturing glow in the dark wildlife?"