Thursday, November 26, 2009

Here's Lookin' at You, Kiddo

It's Thanksgiving, and there's more news to come.

Casablanca was released on this day 67 years ago. Bogart and Bergman (Trent and Daria, at left) reenact the airport scene at the end. Hankies all around for the tearfully inclined.

Peanuts creator Charles M. Schultz was born this day 87 years ago. Can you believe there have been Daria/Peanuts crossovers? Indeed, there are. (And I don't mean this one.) However, for some reason I cannot find them. Dang. Oh! Here's one, and here's the other! Excellent!

This exact day in the year 2001 (in another Dariaverse) was described in this fanfic. Another day in Paradise, how true....

Want to go to a Dariacon in Geneva, Switzerland? Want a chance to create havoc with the Large Hadron Collider while discussing Daria's bra size? Click the link! But read some fanfiction before you go.

PPMB
  • Balletdictorian, by Kristen Bealer (COMPLETE!): I might be an ugly witch, Jodie thought with satisfaction, but at least I can have pretty shoes.
  • The Bellgirl, by Liz Ruiz (COMPLETE!): "I spent the summer tutoring some of the guys at my school. Not that it didn’t totally backfire. I mean, who knew that after reading The Iliad they would come the next day dressed in a three-part donkey costume? They completely missed the freaking point!"
  • Bringing the Angst, by Jim North (COMPLETE!): "Everything I touch turns to angst," Daria Morgendorffer said quietly to herself as she walked down the halls of Lawndale High School. "Everything becomes ash. Everything." (FF.net)
  • Finn Morgendorffer 16: Ambrosia Vinaigrette, by HolyGrail2007 (COMPLETE!): “Eric, I really have to get going, it’s time for supper. What are we having? Well, lasagna of course. That ricotta is just so... what was that? Oh, Eric, I didn’t know about that. Well, there are plenty of other things besides cheese to eat. Damn those doctors, right? Bye!” (FF.net)
  • Get Sloan, by Ranger Thorne (COMPLETE!): "Now, Tom, I called you in here for a very important assignment. From this point on, everything I say is Top Secret, Class A security clearance." "Class A?" "That’s right." "Then shouldn’t we use the Cone of Silence?"
  • In Silence Sarcastic, by Trscroggs (continued): “You flashed Beavis and Butt-head!”
  • In the Fine Morning, by Roentgen (COMPLETE!): The phone rang. Jane looked at the stereo clock. 9:54 am. The phone continued to ring. Six times. Eight times. Somewhere from the basement, the sound of a duck quack klaxoned through the Lane house. Great, thought Jane, Trent ain't home. The person next to Jane stirred and groaned. "Who's calling... goddamn it..." [Based on this comic]
  • Iron Chef: Daria is Raven's Apprentice, by Project Pegasus (continued): Oh my, I hope that friend Raven comes back soon. Without her the Tower is somewhat... "Starfire, what is a nocturnal emission?!" ...chaotic.
  • John Lane 44: Fizzy Logic, by Richard Lobinske (Part 1): As Ms. Ruiz passed out papers to her senior English class, she said, "Try to read chapters one to five of Frankenstein in the handout. You can thank the not-so-generous voters for the lack of real copies."
  • Legion of Lawndale Heroes 13:7—Express Yourself, by Brother Grimace (COMPLETE!): “I had never envisioned any sort of code names for Legionnaires,” Daria Morgendorffer said, leaning forward in her chair as she spoke to the other Legionnaires in the conference room. “I don't think there’s much of a point. Why would anyone call me Mnemosyne when you can just say, ‘Hey, Daria?’ Why Polaris when you can call her Jane?”
  • Legion of Lawndale Heroes 13:8—Shadows of the Night, by Brother Grimace (COMPLETE!): Mack didn’t understand why Sandi suddenly turned to look at him with a scowl, and the other girls began to titter. “What did I say?” he asked, actually taking a step back from Sandi. “What?”
  • Legion of Lawndale Heroes Mini: Bull Session, by Brother Grimace (COMPLETE!): “Okay, my turn,” Mack Mackenzie said, taking a Cluster Burger and an order of fries out of the large bag before passing it on. “You’re going to a family reunion, and they all think that you’re married, so you need to show up with someone who they think is your wife. Who’s the girl you take along with you?”
  • Mind Over Plasma, by Jim North (Part 1): The song played out to an uninspired finish, but Jane had to admit that the overall piece showed a little bit of promise. "It was okay," she said, "but I think it coulda used the sound of two cars in a mid-air collision falling five hundred meters to the ground." Trent's eyebrow arched ever so slightly. "You're right," he said. "I shouldn't have taken that part out."
  • Reflections, by Midnightstorm (COMPLETE!): I never knew I'd live to see seventeen. Some days you wake up in the morning feeling like crap and just want to end it right there. You probably never felt the way I did. Those days, I'd go to the bathroom, look in the mirror and say to myself, "What? You're still here!"
  • The True Story of How Stacy Rowe Destroyed the Fashion Club, by Ticknart (COMPLETE!): "Stacy," her mother called from downstairs, "come to the dining room, your father and I need to talk to you about something."
  • Unnamed story (Three-peat! New Ideas Thread Wins Again!), by Richard Lobinske (COMPLETE!): Still confused by her surroundings, Daria followed the written directions to "The Green Dome". Inside, she found a middle-aged man with gray hair wearing a black blazer with white piping. "Where am I?" she demanded. He had a friendly smile as he said, "The Village." [Now with a sequel by Ranger Thorne!]

2 comments:

undefinedlust said...

Daria/Peanuts xover?

Vlad in the comments for LSBS:

The Cliche

(at school)

(Marcie is walking in the hall when Peppermint Patty catches up to her)

Peppermint Patty - Hey!

Marcie - Oh. Hi.

Peppermint Patty - What's up? What's going on? How you doing?

Marcie - Great.

Peppermint Patty - No walkee to school today? What happened?

(no response from Marcie)

Peppermint Patty - Hey, what's up? Talk to me.

Marcie - I kissed your boyfriend.

(that's not a response Peppermint Patty expected; she freezes on the spot, wide-eyed and disbelieving)

Jane - What?

Marcie - I kissed your boyfriend. I kissed Charles.

Peppermint Patty - 'Bout freakin' time.

(Peppermint Patty pulls Marcie against her and the girls start making out as a crowd gathers.)




The WTF

(at school)

(Charlie Brown is walking in the hall when Linus catches up to her)

Linus - Hey!

Charlie Brown - Oh. Hi.

Linus - What's up? What's going on? How you doing?

Charlie Brown - Great.

Linus - No walkee to school today? What happened?

(no response from Charlie Brown)

Linus - Hey, what's up? Talk to me.

Charlie Brown - I kissed your girlfriend.

(that's not a response Linus expected; he freezes on the spot, wide-eyed and disbelieving)

Linus - What?

Charlie Brown - I kissed your girlfriend. I kissed Sally. I didn't mean to.

Linus - Well she is your sister.

Charlie Brown - Yeah... well, um...

(with a frown, Charlie Brown runs off at top speed, leaving Linus alone in a knot of students)




Played Straight

(at school)

(Linus is walking in the hall when Lucy catches up to her)

Lucy - Hey!

Linus - Oh. Hi.

Lucy - What's up? What's going on? How you doing?

Linus - Great.

Lucy - No walkee to school today? What happened?

(no response from Linus)

Lucy - Hey, what's up? Talk to me.

Linus - I kissed your boyfriend.

(that's not a response Lucy expected; she freezes on the spot, wide-eyed and disbelieving)

Lucy - What?

Linus - I kissed your boyfriend. I kissed Schroder. I didn't mean to.

(with a frown, Lucy runs off at top speed, leaving Linus alone in a knot of students)

Linus - I'm sorry! I'm sorry!

undefinedlust said...

I had to make sure Vlad got proper recognition for that... :)