Dolly Parton (played by Janet Barch at right) turns 64 today, and this is also Janis Joplin's birthday anniversary (who is played by Quinn on another blog post).
Today is also supposed to be National Popcorn Day. Huh. Always something new on the Internet. Oddly, this trivial "holiday" is more popular than you'd think. I discovered several children's museums and libraries celebrating it, because what better way to get hundreds of kids into your building than to give them free popcorn? Glad I don't have to clean up later on. Pop some and go to it.
Iron Chef: A New Word is now up on PPMB. Are you up to fudging with the language of teenagers?
Iron Chef: Lawndale Office is also up, from LSauchelli. Thank you!
Why so much hate for Mr. O'Neill? Why indeed. Check in on the
If you are interested in the Physics of Space Battles, there's a thread for that, too, on PPMB. If we're going to talk about space battles, then let's have more of them in fanfiction!
Minx has Quinn in black-and-white on her website, Heather Morgendorffer appears courtesy of MidnightStorm, and Pinhead has a realistic Tom to show the world. Bless this fandom's artists!
LATE ADD: Malakite has a doodle or two of Alex from Dark Kuno's Two Halves.
- Crossing Stars, by Silver (Part 1): “As it so happens, Jane,” Daria said calmly, “I have checked the contract boards. As it turns out, there is a contract we could take. Some rich idiot wants to be ferried ten jumps to Malygos, and they want an antimatter drive, N-space pathed starship to do it. It pays thirty million ISK.” “That's good news,” Jane remarked. “And it leads right into the bad news.” Daria brought up the holotank display, showing its default display of the jumpweb.
- Daria: Agent of Cobra—Expectavi, by Ranchoth (Part 4): Daria's ears popped again. "Cobra Commander isn't paying you 17¢ a minute to gad about!" Dragonsky barked at his troops. [Spindoctor is back!]
- Daria: Hunter 5—Strictly Business, by Jim North (continued): As Helen stared the agents down, the room became deadly silent. Jane glanced at Daria, both of her eyebrows threatening to lift straight past her hairline. Tom had a hand covering his mouth, and if the subtle shakes of his body were any indication, he was doing his damnedest not to burst into hysterical laughter. The male agent's forehead creased. "Ma'am," he said, "we are the government of the United States of America. We do not 'get out of the wa—'"
- Finn Morgendorffer 27: Helen and the Boys, by HolyGrail2007 (COMPLETE!): Finn knew the problem with his mother playing poker wasn’t because she didn’t know how to play. His mother played poker a lot. But she was competitive and hated to lose. While Finn liked the idea of beating his mother at poker, he knew how she reacted when she lost, and it wasn’t pleasant. How she acted when she won was even worse.
- NEW! General Semantics, Private Angst, by Gwrtheyrn (Part 1): Daria had read about such things, in... what? She couldn't bring it to mind at the moment, but didn't care enough to chase the memory thread, which obviously led to subjects that seemed less real to her than--than hot, bubbling, store-bought lasagna, or hot penguin sex. (Daria/A.E. van Vogt's Null-A series)
- NEW! The Heather/Damsel Chronicles 12: Yule Be Sorry, by NightGoblyn (Part 5): “This is real chill,” Cherry said, walking up to Heather with a 'dog of her own. “I didn't even know that old video games like this still existed. They don't have goggles or anything.”
- Sisters, by Roentgen (Parts 1 and 2): Daria opened her eyes... and took in her surroundings. Her padded walls were missing. Somehow, she wasn't in her room. "What the... hell...?" [continued here!]
- NEW! Trapped, by Jim North (continued): "Okay, the room on the left here," Jane said, turning her head to shine her light on the door. "That one should have windows." "And it might have a giant snake with insta-kill venom in its fangs," Shaggy whimpered. "Or, like, a mummy."
- Unnamed story (Iron Chef: A New Word), by Jim North (COMPLETE!): "Pal toss nadrim," Daria said as she leaned across the table and handed Jane a can of Ultra Cola.
- Unnamed story (Cheer Lord ficlet), by Jim North (COMPLETE!): "Oh, you are the cutest of the cutest!" Quinn squealed happily as she hugged the puppy and ruffled its fur. "I can't believe how unbelievably cute you are! Yes you is, yes you is!"
- NEW! Unnamed story (Scenes No Daria Fanfic Should Have: Hump Day), by DrNoGood09 (COMPLETE!): Just then the rest of the fanfic is cut off by a voice saying: “The following Announcement has been paid for by the staff of DVDaria.”
- Yes, Mr. D., There Is an MLKJR Day, by ticknart (COMPLETE!): "Class," said Anthony DeMartino, turning away from the board to face the room full of mostly blank or vapid stares, "does anyone know what Monday is?"