Saturday, February 7, 2009

Stuff with Fanfic Potential Out the Wazoo!

Let's see, let's start off with angst. Today is the 197th anniversary of the biggest earthquake ever known in the middle of the United States, the New Madrid Quake of 1812. I live rather close to this region, so if my writing gets jiggly one day, you'll know why. I'm sure someone can stick this into a story and kill and injure lots of characters.

Comedy is hard, everyone says, but today three very excellent comedians were born, and you can steal their jokes for your fanfics, or at least figure out how to make jokes like theirs. They are Emo Philips, Eddie Izzard, and Chris Rock. Now you can write a comedy fanfic and it will be easy. Start here.

Let's talk adventure. Today is also the birthday of aircraft designer Oleg Antonov, whose company (named for him) built the biggest airplane ever, the An-225, which I have been trying for years to figure out how to work into a Daria fanfic. I blew up a C-5 Galaxy in one story, but I always thought having some Daria characters as aircraft crew in a big plane that didn't blow up right away (kind of like a starship crew, get it?) would be awesome. Except I can't figure out how to do it. Damn.

Today is also the anniversary of Charles Dickens's birth, but nothing he did is worth writing about in a Daria fanfic, so I'll skip over him. Bleak House, my ass.

Any thoughts on the above three ideas? Any thoughts of your own? Do I have to do all the thinking around here? Apparently so. More later, then.

Newest DariaWiki entry: Bobby Stuart, by Disco316. Remember Bobby?


PPMB
  • Falling into College 66: Christmas in White, by Richard Lobinske (COMPLETE!): "None of us want your crutches flailing around while you try to catch the bouquet. But I'll make a deal with you. If that thing comes my way, I'll swat it over toward you."
  • Snuffed Animals, by Disco316 (COMPLETE!): Daria smirked at that. “Trust me, Mom; if I was pregnant, you’d have to prepare the guest room for three kings.”
  • Stacy Rowe, Seeker (Part II), by jtranser (continued): "Esper Command reports have to be both pretentious and mind numbing, so I'll use correlation of forces. I'll also use i.e., e.g., ibid., op.cit. and q.v." "What about viz.?" "The idea is to numb the mind of the reader, not permanently damage it."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the New Madrid fault, I read a rather good disaster novel a few years ago called The Rift, in which the fault pretty much wrecks everything near the Mississippi. The author actually managed to make me feel sympathy for a member of the Ku Klux Klan, something I thought was really quite impressive.

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing Stacy wearing a leather jacket and jeans and rambling on aimlessly about history. She'd need some tranquilizers to pull off the full Izzard though.

Anonymous said...

While y'all are wazootin' the fanfic, try doing something with Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose.....

The Angst Guy said...

The Spruce Goose would be cool. Think of the aircraft as everyone's home and workplace combined. They live there, they work there, they sleep there, but they can't stand to date each other there, so they run off at everyone airport and party with the first locals they meet. Lots of adventure there!

"Hi. I'm Daria. I have two hours until we take off again, so if you get naked now I won't have to shoot you."