Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hello, and Woof Woof

Today is the eleventh anniversary of the premiere of "Through a Lens Darkly," a quest for personal identity involving manstopper glasses that helped lead off Daria's third season.

Two memorable characters appeared in this episode: Amy Barksdale and J.B., the bulldog. Yes, I know, J.B. was called "Pugsly" on the official site, but you and I know he's J.B. because he was in a story. 'Nuff said.

And Amy is Amy, no sense in going on about her. We need more pet stories, I believe. Lots more.

NEW! Pinhead is once again tearing up the art room. Click and enjoy. And check out Daria-2010.

Amusing Note: Looking for wallpaper for your 'pooter? Try the new wallpaper from the new MTV website. Kinda cute for the little bits on it. Also, I noticed there are 1,200,000+ fans registered on the main MTV Facebook site, so Daria fans account for over 20% of that total. Wow, that's a lot.

PPMB
  • NEW! Daria: Hunter 5—Strictly Business, by Jim North (COMPLETE!): With a snarl of frustration Axl snapped his holo-heads back on so he could have at least one ranged sense running again. Just as his nightvision kicked in, he saw the bounty hunters descend on two of his selves. Or rather, he saw one, Janey, as she bowled into the chest of a Vexxer. The other woman landed on the back of another machine and started clawing at it with her armblades. [Ending here!] (FF.net)
  • NEW! Finn Morgendorffer 34: A Few Cans of Soda, by HolyGrail2007 (Part 1): Nothing happened immediately after the football practice ended, but according to the school gossip, there had been a strange man coming in and out of Ms. Li’s office. Heh, a secret lover? Finn chuckled to himself. Wouldn’t know who in their right minds would hit that, but some guys are desperate.
  • NEW! Folie à deux, by Charliefox2012 (Part 2): “I don’t have it. Leave my closet alone,” Daria said, grumpily. “You have to have it,” Evie said. “Quinn doesn’t have it.” Daria sighed. “What are you looking for this time?” “My red turtleneck,” Evie answered. “I don’t have it,” Daria said.
  • NEW! General Semantics, Private Angst, by Gwrtheyrn (Part 14): As far as Daria could tell, there were no hidden switches, no panels, no signs or directions of any kind. She was getting interested, now. These tunnels seemed effectively endless, but their very elaboration indicated that something stupendous was down here to be found; perhaps a connection to the very galactic base of which Hrafn was commander. She'd need food and water to investigate this more thoroughly. Too bad she had to retrace two hours of walking, but better two hours than five.
  • NEW! The Hallowed Halls of Fielding, by Roentgen (Part 7): "Besides," said Tom, "I hear that Quinn Morgendorffer is as dumb as a box of hammers." "Oh Pope." It was Terry, sighing. "You'll never find a soulmate. Not until you master parthenogenesis."
  • Into the Fray, by Minx (Part 2): “What is going on? I was asleep one minute then BANG the next thing I know I’m being pushed into the car and being told to drive.” Max's veil of machismo was gone. It was now replaced with unbridled fear that shone in his eyes.
  • NEW! Invisible Love, by Charliefox2012 (Part 11): “And Ramona. Goodness, only three and already preparing for college,” Helen said, astonished. “Yeah. Poor girl,” Duncan said flippantly. “Which reminds me. Duncan, what are your plans for college?” NEWER! [More here!] (FF.net)
  • Legion of Lawndale Heroes Mini: Debut, by Roentgen (COMPLETE!): “We’ll be meeting someone important in the family,” Kay Sloane said. When Elsie dug deeper for details—who the hell is it?—both of her parents clammed up. I suppose that this is where they break the big secret. The Sloane millions were founded with Nazi gold. I’ll meet my dear Aunt Eva and my Uncle Adolf. Because after all, if the Sloanes were Germans, it would make perfect sense that they would hide in Italy. Or maybe I meet my Uncle Benito. Whatever.
  • NEW! Turn, Turn, Turn, by Ajar (COMPLETE!): "Damn abacus. Can't calculate the damned science rate with these damn jammed beads. God damn it!"
  • Unnamed story ("A.U. Ficlet"), by GlitterShrooms (Part 1): “I know it’s hard to move to a new town, but I hope you both realize that we’re here for you. Mom, Dad, and I would do anything to make you two happy. You both understand that, don’t you?” “Did we move?” asked Daria Morgendorffer as she and her sister Quinn rode in the back. “Daria,” the driver continued, “I know it’s been awhile since we’ve been together like this, but I want you both to know how much I’ve missed you.” Without hesitation, Daria climbed over to turn up the radio.
  • Unnamed story (More Crossovers Not Yet Crossed Over), by DigiSim (Part 1): "Welcome to The George Underwood Edwards Institute of Technology!"

10 comments:

The Angst Guy said...

Hello> Hello? Anyone want to post comments? Hello?

Roland 'Jim' Lowery said...

You talkin' to me?

The Angst Guy said...

Uh... got any comments?

Pinhead said...

1200000 ?!!
Oho! Daria - the Goddess!

Anonymous said...

One of the best cosplays I've ever seen:

http://tasukichan.deviantart.com/art/Quinn-from-Daria-104538887

Roland 'Jim' Lowery said...

Okay, I ain't got a comment, but I do have a question. On the fanfic listings, how do you pick the little slice of each fic? Is it just a random choice, or do you pick out some part that you particularly like?

One of the reasons I ask is because on my fics, there have been several times when I read the slice and go "Yes! That is awesome! I am very proud of that line/paragraph/what have you!", and then other times where I go "lolwhut? That has to be the boringest line in the entire fic! There's, like, twenty better lines in that section! STOP SHOWING MY SHAME!"

The Angst Guy said...

On the fanfic listings, how do you pick the little slice of each fic? Is it just a random choice, or do you pick out some part that you particularly like?

I try to pick out something that will pique the interest of those browsing the list of fanfics. I confess I'm not always successful, but I do try to get something unusual or eye-popping or funny. It is important to promote the writers and artists in this fandom, so few people do it. I will try to do better! :)

The Angst Guy said...

Looking over the list of quotes for the stories today, I would say most were picked out because, even if the situation seemed mundane (hunting for a red turtleneck), the fact that someone besides Daria and Quinn was there was a nice tweak and would make a potential reader curious. Who the heck is Evie? Why is Axl putting on holo-heads? What's a holo-head? Who is Duncan, or Terry, or the driver taking Daria and Quinn to school? Where is Elsie being taken? Is that Jake using an abacus? Why is Max frightened? Little stuff that might make a potential reader think, whoa, that was weird, wonder what that was about.

The Angst Guy said...

Additional note: I've noticed lately that not only is this blog accumulating a lot of new followers, but the hit count is skyrocketing. I think new people are wandering into the fandom (thank you, God!) and are checking things out. This blog has about 147,000 hits now, which is almost ridiculous. I love it!

minx said...

On the fanfic listings, how do you pick the little slice of each fic? Is it just a random choice, or do you pick out some part that you particularly like?

I like to try and guess which line TAG will choose, this time I got one right lol, I just like the word machismo and the unbridled fear bit :)