Friday, December 19, 2008

Some timely advice from Mr. O'Neill

The alter ego at left is what I felt like after taking the Graduate Record Examination this evening. Jeffy is of course Quasimodo from the 1996 Disney version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame (at right), complete with red hair, green tunic, and sock-like cloth shoes. I like Jeffy's nailed walking stick, however. Wicked. And he has a better haircut than the Disney guy.

Anyway, I finished the GRE and felt quite the abused soul, more to the point like a pinheaded Neanderthal moron, so I skulked back to my lair to lick my wounds (eww) and mourn my shattered dreams of world domination. And the words of the immortal Timothy O'Neill from Is It Fall Yet? rang in my mind:



"And for those with less, uh, robust scores,
there are still wonderful opportunities in
the food services sector."



Isn't it funny how something from Daria will come to you like that in those moments when you need comfort most? I love it.

More stuff to come. Hope to get all the fanfic listed and posted this weekend. See you at the Burger World drive-through window!

P.S. Queen Jossie finished "Y 2 Day?" nine years ago today.

9 comments:

E. A. Smith said...

I thought that the GRE was pretty easy, actually; easier than the SAT. Did you take a particular subject test, or just the general one?

The Angst Guy said...

General. I feel like burnt toast.

Anonymous said...

Ah, poor Y2K, the apocalypse that wasn't.

Anonymous said...

GAAH! The Disney 'Hunchback of Notre Dame', the monstrosity! :-X

Anonymous said...

Considering I had a hangover when I took the SAT, I thought the GRE went better. :)

From what I understand, the GRE has changed considerably since I took it, so there is probably no valid comparison.

The Angst Guy said...

The GRE is done on computer now. It is much easier to take, as I am a better typist than handwriter, but it was a scary experience. They do give you a CD to prepare yourself, and it is useful but you should use it months beforehand, not 4 days beforehand while suffering from medication side effects.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I took the GRE 20 plus years ago, along with the Biology section. We used actual pencils and actual test forms, back in the dark ages.

The Angst Guy said...

Ha! I took the GRE the first time 30 years ago, and we had to chisel our answers into stone tablets. We even had to turn in all the rock dust to show them we weren't cheating.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the concensus that the GREs were easier. I do have to say I was lucky. They give either two math or two english sections on the test, one of which does not count and is only to test new questions. They don't tell you which is which howeevr. I bombed one math section and my prayers were answered that not only was the repeat section a math, but the one I did better on ended up counting. Hopefully, the scores are good enough that I'll never have to take them again.