Saturday, May 16, 2009

Crying All the Way to the Bank

Ninety years ago today, showman and classical pianist Liberace was born. Mr. DeMartino does a nice impersonation of him at left, tickling the ivories in an MTV alter ego. A lot of alter egos have a musical theme, usually a very specific one. The catchphrase in the title was actually invented by Liberace, who went heavily for the entertainment angle. He was a pretty nice person from most accounts. The artist really worked on this image, didn't he?

Now and then I surf around looking for news stories related to Daria, but almost always the writers mention the show in a peripheral way only. Still, a couple of hits looked interesting. "TV will eat itself" (Guardian (UK)) was one, and "Reality TV Addiction" (The Comment) was another. Daria is well remembered, just not well analyzed or discussed.

PPMB
  • Embers, by Undefinedlust (COMPLETE!): My name is Jennifer. They call me burnout girl. Jennifer started to write on the blank first page of a notebook that had already been filled. She was distracted by her mother yelling at her from the kitchen. With a sigh she closed the notebook and placed it on top of a stack of identical spiral bound books on her desk then went into the kitchen. [Contains adult content. You are warned.]
  • Expecting Trouble, by Legendeld (Part 7): “I’m not prepared to consider bail until we can go a week without the number of victims in this case increasing. Your client admitted to the police that at the time of his arrest he was planning on leaving the city, which makes him a flight risk. So unless your client wants to provide the prosecution a list of the minors he had relations with, he stays in jail.”
  • Red Hot Monkey Love, by Dennis (COMPLETE!): "We haven't made red hot monkey love in a while," said Amanda. "You're right," said Vincent. "I was in Greenland and you were in the Azores. Let's do it now."
  • Unnamed story (Iron Chef: Daria Is Raven's Apprentice), by Project Pegasus (COMPLETE!): "Stupid term paper." "What are you up to?" "Working on my term paper. I just can't seem to finish it." "Let me see if I can help."
  • Unnamed story (Iron Chef: Finish the Story, Your Way), by Paisleygal (COMPLETE!): Daria took one last look at Tommy Sherman. He still had that cocky grin on his face as he watched Brittany’s retreating form and rubbed the red spot on his cheek. Daria saw him pause as if he was trying to think of something to say. “Don’t think to hard, you might strain something,” she thought as Tommy took a half step forward... and collapsed to the floor.
  • Unnamed story (Iron Chef: 'Shipper Ficlets!), by NightGoblyn (COMPLETE FRAGMENT!): "Talk to me." He glanced down at the comparatively tiny woman standing next to him. She was leaning forward against the safety wall to get a better view of the city, her toned and athletic figure backlit and obvious in her dark red bodysuit. He knew she was trying to pose and distract him, a gesture he found touching considering how normally reserved and shy she tended to be. "Talk to me, don't shut me out." She turned and peered up at him. "Please."
  • Unnamed story (Iron Chef: 'Shipper Ficlets!), by Scissors MacGillicutty (COMPLETE!): "I came to get her because we were going to have a late supper at Lauriel de la Ribas' new restaurant. I went into the gallery and just found her on the floor...it looked like she was having a seizure. I thought she fell off the ladder and I called 911 right away."

4 comments:

Wild Blogger said...

I don't know if it's well-remembered by the second writer. "Funny and brainless"?

The Angst Guy said...

Well, she said it made her laugh and she liked it for that. Not sure why she thought it was brainless, but can't please everyone.

Disco316 said...

"I wish my brother GEORGE was here, so that HE could tell you just how WRONG you are KEVIN!"

undefinedlust said...

Woo!! I got an adult content warning. I figured if I didn't get one for Ch. 7 of LSBS I wasn't gonna get one...

heheheh