Today is also Near Miss Day. Say what? you ask. Near Miss Day is pretty straightforward, unlike a lot of weird holidays. It's a reminder, not so much a celebration, of the fact that we barely missed getting knocked back into the Stone Age when a small asteroid sailed past us in 1989. It came as close as twice the distance of the Moon from us. Now, lest that sound comfortably far, asteroids have come a lot closer. In fact, one whizzed by only a year ago at only one-sixth the distance from here to the Moon. How long is our magic rabbit's foot gonna hold up? We'll find out one day. (LATE NOTE: This has to do with Daria because of all the jokes about writing a Daria story when Earth gets hit by an asteroid. No one seems to have ever written such a story, but everyone thinks about it anyway.)
Oddly enough, this was also the day nine years ago when the legendary space station Mir reentered the atmosphere. Alas and alack-a-day. It was a grand place for so long.
Horrors! Minx has outdone herself again with a crossover between two leches we know and kind of love. Meet Quagheimer ("Giggiddy Giggidy!") Also check out her Class of 2001! Yowza!
Daria World on Facebook is just short of 300,000 fans!
- Apocalyptic Daria: Scarlett’s Tale, by Doggieboy (Part 18): At first, she was shocked still. Scarlett was in a thatched hut—one where it was unbelievably warm, like a still summer day where the heat had nowhere to go and sweat simply oozed from one’s pores. “You are not Richie.” She turned and saw a man with curly blonde hair, lean and shirtless, but still clad in olive green pants and black combat boots. A pair of dog tags hung loosely around his neck and reflected the sparse candle light. “What?” she asked, her voice confused. “Who’s Richie?”
- NEW! collar, by Jim North (continued): "Seriously, you guys, you don't have to do this," Quinn said, her words accentuated by a tremor of suppressed giggles. "I'm fine, seriously!" "Do you think she is being serious right now, Stacy?" Sandi asked with a smirk.
- Cynic and Violence, by Peapotmaster (Part 1): SCOOTER: What are we going to do, boss? / KERMIT: Time for guest star B. / SCOOTER: Who could that be? / (We now see Daria Morgendorffer and Jane Lane enter.)
- NEW! Falling into College 72: Valley of Love and Delight, by RLobinske (Part 16): "You look good." "And that dress makes you look radiant." "I told Isabelle that radioisotopes were over the top."
- Finn Morgendorffer 38: Fractures, by HolyGrail2007 (Part 3): “You what!” Rita shouted into the phone. “Erin, you signed a pre-nup? Without telling me? When you’re the one with money, you never sign one of those. It’s a death warrant!”
- The Hallowed Halls of Fielding, by Roentgen (Part 18): "Sara, this is my friend, Quinn Morgendorffer. We need you to cast a spell for us." "Wait a second. A spell?" Quinn asked. "You mean were going to use magic? Like those gyps with the 1-800 numbers?" Sara looked perturbed. "Oh, you unbelievers. You know not what forces you mock. I'm almost tempted not to help you. Not only am I a true-born Wiccan, but I'm also a Hufflepuff."
- John Lane 45: Haunted by the Past, by RLobinske (Part 3): "Trust me," said Quinn. "When it comes to writing stuff, Daria's ego is as big as… well, it's big. Really big."
- Lawndale's Finest—Action Stories 4: Power Struggle, by Jim North (Part 1): "With all the work that Supergirl has done around Lawndale and Gotham City, she shouldn't have to put up with people trying to tear her down like that." Jodie scowled deeply. "Willis doesn't even live here, anyway. She's from Metropolis. What does she know about what Supergirl is really like anyway? Nothing, that's what," she answered her own question. "That's why the Daily Planet or any other respectable paper won't touch her. That's why you can only find her mean-spirited editorials running in second-rate magazines and trashy tabloids." "Gosh, Jodie," Jane said as she turned a page, "I'm starting to get the feeling you don't like our good pal Val." [NEW! Part 2 here: Lawndale's Finest: Action Stories #4 - Power Struggle, by Jim North (continued): "Supergirl!" Val greeted her brightly as she approached, looking and sounding as if she were meeting an old friend for the first time in years. "What a pleasure to finally meet you! Now, you probably didn't know I was coming since I wanted it to be a super surprise, but I'm Val! As in Val Takes On...!"]
- Shining Star: Temporal Conundrum, by RLobinske (Part 3): Standing on a hill overlooking a town, Archangel said, "No giant strawberry, but otherwise it pretty much looks the same as any other universe. Gotta love nexus stability." Also looking at the town, Richard said, "Except that all the signs are in what we call Old English." "Details, details."