Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Blogger Mulls Over the Current Direction of His Hobby

Mull, mull, mull, oh.

It has long been a pet peeve of mine that the Internet is perhaps the most radical change in media since the invention of alphabets and printed books, finally bringing about Marshall McLuhan's "global village" from the 1960s, but few people take full advantage of its possibilities. One of those people, unfortunately, is me. My surface reason for maintaining a blog is because it is my only hobby (I can stand having only one hobby at a time), but secretly I do it because it allows me to teach myself HTML and all that other stuff, so I don't look and sound so ignorant when everyone else is spouting buzzwords. I am woefully behind everyone else but am puffing along as best I can.

This blog is a work in progress, like all good blogs. My thought was to turn it into the best-ever one-page Daria fan site, offering all sorts of goodies and possibilities to visitors. I'm doubtful that goal has been achieved yet, so the quest for Win and Awesome presses onward.

It turns out that having the date and time on the blog (at left) is sort of pointless, even though it took me all day yesterday to figure out how to do it, so I'll take those off. I'm sorta ticked that the time won't update itself, and it dawned on me that everyone already HAS the time visible on their monitor in the lower right corner (at least on Firefox), so there's no point to it. The buttons thing, though, I like. Nice of MTV to offer so much useful stuff on the extinct versions of their Daria website that could be recovered through the WayBack Machine at Archive.org.

Thinking out loud (yes, I know, I'm typing out loud), I'm trying to find other stuff to add here. I've already got a shopping mall for Daria stuff, links to almost everything on the web that's Daria-ish. . . . there could be more Beavis and Butt-head stuff because of Daria's presence there, I suppose, but the focus here is still on Daria. I could learn how to create animated GIFs and create little cartoons, I guess, but I'm not an artist. Maybe I'll just take a break and add more pictures and stuff to DariaWiki, or update/fix my older fanfics so the titles aren't so whacked out.

Anyone got any ideas for stuff to add here? Brainstorming is always helpful. Moar l8r on this topic.

P.S. Oh, one thing. I use a monitor with a very wide screen, and I am not always sure what I'm designing works with screens that are more square in shape. Let me know if there is crowding. Showing me a screen capture or two would help, if you (meaning anyone, like you) can do that. Thanks.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane says add puppets. Everything is funnier with puppets.

The Angst Guy said...

Puppets.... hmmm.

The Angst Guy said...

Maybe GIF puppets that sing and dance.



In a hurricane.

Anonymous said...

Screenshot from a 15" monitor using IE.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/nightgoblyn/DFB2screenshot.gif

Anonymous said...

Annoying, it cut off the url.

The end of that string should be "DFB2screenshot.gif"

The Angst Guy said...

Thanks. Seems to come together okay. I was afraid the page would be more squashed. Some of my earlier posts had pictures running into each other, I think, and squishing text all over the place. I use only one pic at most (most of the time) in posts now.

Anonymous said...

I do think you should include more Beavis and Butt-head content, being as they're from the same universe and all.

I've actually been working on a Daylight fic concerning the duo. (It probably won't see the light of day (so to speak) for a while, though, as I'm having a hard time writing descriptive narrative for it).

The Angst Guy said...

I've reluctantly tagged the idea of more B&B and will get on it shortly. I'll try to keep the emphasis on Daria, though.

ninetwelve said...

Your blog the second thing I check online whenever I get home from work (first being e-mail).

Its been a huge boon for me (:

I had always assumed there was a lurking Daria presence only recently was I able to hunt it down.

Since then people like you and the PPMB crew have been really a great source of... Entertainment? Inspiration?

Well either way. Thanks for all the work. And the site loads perfectly on my tiny lil' netbook. And just as well on my big ol' 20 inch on the workstation.

and as I alluded to on the PPMB (: I'm a fan. Hi!

The Angst Guy said...

Yo, sup my home dawg. Sizzle Ms. Frizzle, or what.

NeonHomer said...

You should try seeing is on a BlackBerry screen....