Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Fairy-Tale Wedding with the Horror-Story Ending

Daria's close personal friends, Beavis and Butt-head, are with us to help remember that special day 27 years ago right now, when I was poking through the bookshelves in a small U.S. Army store at Sullivan Barracks, in Mannheim, West Germany, and I looked up and saw the the color TV in one corner of the ceiling was showing Lady Diana and Prince Charles getting married just across the English Channel. Huh, I thought, then went back to looking at the books. I bought an SF novel by Gregory Benford, Timescape, which I enjoyed very much and highly recommend to everyone. I paid no further attention to the wedding.

But wasn't it just grand?


More later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the Royal Family, you'd have to be blind.

Anonymous said...

I was stationed at Philadelphia at the time. One of my fellow sailors put in a request to take the day off to watch the wedding. To our shock, the CO approved it.