Friday, October 24, 2008

Over the Falls in a Barrel? Why Not?

The image at right appears to show the aftereffects of the current financial crisis, but it's much funnier than that. A mere 107 years ago, Annie Edson Taylor became the first person to go over Niagara Falls inside a barrel. I've been to Niagara Falls, and in my humble opinion a person would have to be insane to even consider such a thing, but Ms. Taylor (a 63-year-old schoolteacher) said what the heck, and sprang into immortal legend. Not that I am recommending anyone else do this. Seriously.

At Holiday Island High, today is the special day for the teen known as United Nations Day, and it is also the day for Maladay, but I am darned if I can figure out what that's supposed to commemorate. The Great Depression of 1929 began today, too (again tying in nicely with today's financial crisis and Jake's barrel). Black Thursday (in 1929) was mentioned in a fanfic by C.E. Forman.

In the good news column, the Daria Fandom Calendar is slowly coming together. Thanks to Derek for the clues to make it work. Read about it here.

Hope your day is a good (and profitable) one.


PPMB
  • Babysitting, by Legendeld (Part 4): “It is not freaking okay! I broke her baby!”
  • Blood, Sweat, and Cheers, by Kristen Bealer (part 9): Oh, I can only see evil horrible things coming from this. I hope.
  • But Why? by Legendeld (COMPLETE!): “Wow, you're praising your sister and buying pizza. I think I hear the thundering hoofs of the Horsemen.”
  • Daylight: Ashes and Kisses, by Legendeld (Part 6): “I’m so jealous of you, Quinn," said Brittany. "I’m stuck with a stupid husband who can’t stop whining about us not communicating. And what kind of name is Wind? I’m never going to forgive you for saving him, Jane.” “He’s my brother, I had to.”
  • Daylight: When the Ball Dropped, by Disco316 (Parts 2, 3, and 4): Upchuck raised his now-full glass. “To the end of the world; may it not come too soon.”
  • End of the Line, by Legendeld (COMPLETE!): “Little girl sleeps in a rift. A sleeping nexus shapes.”
  • Origins of the Ringbearers: Let Vengeance Ring, by Richard Lobinske (COMPLETE!): Sick to her stomach over what she had to do, Daria knelt and said, "I'm sorry."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I was hoping you were going to use the line,

"Daria, they're boobs. Guys will be impressed," Quinn said, teasing.

for the teaser on "Let Vengeance Ring". :)

The Angst Guy said...

That would give the whole story away.