Monday, September 20, 2021
Stacy's going to start celebrating National Punch Day, just as soon as Sandi shows up. Okay, so technically the holiday is about the beverage and not hitting people, but don't ruin Stacy's good mood!
Today is also National Pepperoni Pizza Day, so have a slice with your drink. Or while you wait to see Sandi's long-awaited comeuppance.
Saturday, September 18, 2021
Brittany's got the good stuff ready for Oktoberfest...which takes place in September. I don't get it, but then again I don't drink beer. Maybe it makes more sense after you've had a few?
If beer isn't your thing, either, then perhaps we could "GET! BURGER!" for National Cheeseburger Day! We don't have to eat it. We could just stick it in our boots and enjoy the squishy feeling around our toes.
- American Idle, by wilddogjj (part 2): "Quinn, Jim and the triplets were in the living room watching TV. On the screen was Madonna's 'Vogue' music video. Quinn pointed her out to the boys."
- Danny Morgendorffer, by st91 (parts 52 - 54): "'At least ... college.' Quinn said dreamily as Heather took them to the fraternity row." (Part 53) (Part 54)
- Daria: Cuckoos Egg, by meesterlee (part 2): "The sedan drove down one of the main streets of the American suburb, paused, then turned right at a cross-street."
- Happiness and Tears (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (parts 3 and 4): "Throughout the following two days, more and more of Trent's family began to show up on his property and set up their tents." (Part 4)
- Mourning in the 'Burbs, by Erin M (parts 2 - 4): "Mr. Larkin, the owner and manager of Larkin Mortuary and Funeral Home, was a bald, fastidious little man with a calm demeanor and a suitable amount of gravitas for his profession." (Part 3) (Part 4)
- Reflections, by atiyatortilla (part 1): "Sandi Griffin was a stickler for structure."
- Who Will Survive In America?, by ladyevil (parts 1 and 2): "'Aren’t we getting a little old for this?' Daria asked as she and Quinn stood in front of the door to their house. Quinn was primping her hair and make-up in a hand mirror." (Part 2)
Thursday, September 16, 2021
Helen, stop overreacting. Jake's just super excited about National Guacamole Day. Now pick up your phone and finish your work call. Eric's not going to flatter himself, you know! Or...is he?
That call really is important, because today is also Working Parents Day, and we all know that Helen is a full-time (and then some) lawyer and part-time parent. It evens out, I think.
- wouter debunks Prince's "Purple rain" myth.
- The Excellent S is re-posting his LFC Is It 'Mania Yet? with commentary.
- If you missed Big Brother Lawndale the first time, check it out now.
- What are your favorite "lesser" Daria episodes?
Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Time to have a sugar break because it's National Cream-Filled Donut Day and you don't have to tell me twice! Especially if the donut in question is chocolate.
Also on this day in 2004, something happened in an Angelinhel fanfic. If you like angst, read it and find out. If you don't like angst...hey, look! A cute puppy!
- American Dream, by ladyevil (part 6): "'Jesse, is it?' Marina said as she led him to the kitchen. 'It’s not often I meet a man who babysits.'"
- American Idle, by wilddogjj (part 1): "The Daytona 500 was in full swing. The lead car was a black Chevrolet with the number three painted on the sides."
- Danny Morgendorffer, by st91 (parts 49 - 51): "Once P.E's time was over, Daniel went on to perform his role as secretary in the weekly student council meeting." (Part 50) (Part 51)
- Daria: Cuckoo's Egg, by meesterlee (part 1): "'Do I have to?' Daria complained. 'Yes, you have to,' said Gaius Two-Reeds."
- Happiness and Tears (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (parts 1 and 2): "'Here comes the bride... one very slow step at a time! That's right, long time Indianapolis Zoo resident Timothy the giant tortoise at long last has found a breeding partner! It's a Chelonian Confederation of the century, tonight on "Sick Sad World!"'" (Part 2)
- Mourning in the ‘Burbs, by Erin M (part 1): "The alarm went off on Helen Morgendorffer’s nightstand at 7:00 AM, like it had done every morning since the Morgendorffer family had moved to Lawndale. Unlike every other morning, however, Helen Morgendorffer had not been up for half an hour before the alarm went off."
- Next Stop, Somewhere--I Guess, by DocForbin (COMPLETE!): "Quincy: This is a Scream, Jeeves presentation."
Sunday, September 12, 2021
Daria's going to spend some quality time with Cannibal Fragfest on National Video Games Day, and I'm sure Ted can be found at the VR arcade. Not that either of these activities is unique to today, of couse, but it makes a good excuse!
Today is also Grandparent's Day, but I'm not sure any of the Daria characters will be celebrating that one. Most of the grandparents on the show are...not exactly prize winners.
- Join in the new Round Robin: Daria/DC Animated Universe.
- Charles RB discusses the Creepyling Origins.
- Vote in the Celebrity Deathmatch poll between Milhouse and the Robot Chicken Nerd.
- Join the discussion about Daria and judgment.
- What characters have you or would you have rescued from the Scrappy heap?
Friday, September 10, 2021
Rin Tin Tin look-alike Leary is pleased to tell us that today would be the canine TV star's birthday if he were still alive. Of course, if he were still alive then, in dog years, he'd be on par with Methuselah.
Today is also TV Dinner Day, so for once Jane won't be the only one celebrating a holiday alone with a TV dinner.
- American Dream, by ladyevil (part 5): "Jake and Helen entered the waiting room of Saint Erasmus to find Daria reading a copy of Time magazine. 'Daria, how can you read at a time like this?' Helen asked."
- The Creation of Beauty, by Crow Jones (COMPLETE!): "Kevin looked hungrily as a new girl came into the room before speaking out loud. 'Who's the new babe?'"
- RuDar's Drag Race (Scenes, Brainstorms, and Drabbles Thread), by Kristen Bealer (COMPLETE!): "'A reading?' Daria asked doubtfully. Mr. O'Neill nodded eagerly. 'For the coffee shop's opening night. You're so talented that I'm sure you'll do great!'"
- Save the Date (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "It was just before midnight, and Rose's parents had gone to bed. That left Rose and her cat, Trixie, alone in the living room on the couch."
Wednesday, September 8, 2021
Look at how proud Joey is at winning the Miss America Pageant, the first of which was held on this day exactly 100 years ago! I just hope he didn't do this to impress Quinn; you know she's probably the first runner-up, fuming and ready to pounce on him backstage and steal the crown.
Today is also the day that the Starry Night Ball took place, according to Is It Fall Yet? Poor Jake never got to go to the ball and network with his would-be fairy godclients, but I'm sure it's just as well. Jake at a fancy party just begs for disaster. Hey, who's going to write that fanfic?
- Vote in the Deadiest Warrior poll between Mack the Knife and Sweeney Todd.
- Play the episode title book review game.
- cfardellbrenorenz29 posted an Iron Chef: The First Ten Minutes.
Monday, September 6, 2021
You might think that Daria is reading a book to celebrate Read a Book Day, but that's the kind of thing a joiner would do. No, Daria is reading a book in order to actively refuse to observe Fight Procrastination Day! What's she procrastinating? Your guess is as good as mine.
Of course, many of us can feel free to procrastinate today because it's Labor Day and lots of people have the day off. I suggest enjoying the free time with a book.
- American Dream, by ladyevil (part 4): "At the campsite, Jake was attempting to put up a tent while Helen dug a campfire pit nearby. Jake grunted as he struggled with the tent, culminating in a frustrated scream."
- Psychic Refugee No More 2.0 (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "A few weeks after Jane headed back to New York, Trent had considered himself properly settled in his new home."
Saturday, September 4, 2021
Jake has a long way to go before he can celebrate World Beard Day, but he's off to a good start. Of course, he's only got until the end of the day to fill that thing out, and it's not looking good. Cheer up, Jake! Maybe it'll be ready by this time next year!
Today is also the anniversary of Daria and Jane's appearance on the MTV Video Music Awards on this day in 1997. It was kind of a "blink and you miss it" kind of deal, but it's not like those two would have wanted much more to do with pop culture than that, anyway.
- Vote in the Battle of the Bands between Mayhem from Quincy and Dethklok.
- Why did it take so long for Daria to find out Trent has a band?
- Did Metallica hire Trent Lane as a song writer? See the video and judge for yourself.
- Erin M posted a new Iron Chef: Jane Lane, Girl Detective (And Friends).
- What is that one movie you watch over and over again?
Thursday, September 2, 2021
I see Kevin is not only enjoying World Coconut Day but doing so as one of the most appropriate alter egos of all time: Gilligan. Think about it. If the cast of Daria were stranded on an island with Kevin, not only would he punt all of the coconuts but they'd all be dead in about a week.
Speaking of dead, today is also Dead Stacy Rowe Day, a holiday created by The Angst Guy solely to celebrate the many times Stacy has died in fanfic. Poor kid.
- American Dream, by ladyevil (part 3): "In the forest, the Morgendorffers stood in a circle in a clearing. 'Total isolation!' Jake said with a smile."
- Feeling Like Home (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "With a smile, Trent hung his new bird feeder on the railing of his porch. It resembled a miniature log cabin, with clear plastic windows to let one see how much seed was left."
- Getting Out From Under It, by Erin M (COMPLETE!): "Jane looked at Older Jane with skepticism. 'It’s true,' said Older Jane. 'You saw it for yourself. Even four out of the five worst Darias in the multiverse loved us on some level.'" (Part 6)
- "Two Things are Infinite...", by welltemperedclavier (COMPLETE!): "Jason insisted that they wait for the pizza to arrive before starting the show. He gathered the two of them in his office as they waited and took a seat behind his desk." (Part 11) (Part 12) (Part 13) (Part 14) (Part 15) (Part 16)
Tuesday, August 31, 2021
Looks like the Landons and the Morgendorffers are celebrating National Eat Outside Day, but hopefully they'll notice that they're missing someone soon. Someone who isn't eating outside--or inside, for that matter--because she needs a damn can opener.
Today is also Love Litigating Lawyers Day, but I'll leave that one to Jake. Helen is difficult to love on even her best days, but she and Jake seem to make it work!
- R.I.P., Ed Asner.
- Talk about the funniest moments from cartoons and comics.
- meesterlee has question about early Judith Strikes fics.
Sunday, August 29, 2021
Jake's got all of his ingredients ready for Kitchen Sink Stew, but let's hope he remembers that today is More Herbs, Less Salt Day. With his heart, the last thing he needs is excess sodium.
Tonight is also International Bat Night! If you've ever wanted to always wanted to sleep upside-down and spread rabies (or other things, in light of recent events), then this is your big chance!
- American Dream, by ladyevil (part 2): "In the forest, the Morgendorffers arrived at a clearing with camping gear. Jake was singing a showtune at the top of his lungs."
- Daria: Close Encounters of the Family Kind, by meesterlee (COMPLETE!): "Daria Morgendorffer sat down at the coffee shop drinking a mid-morning premium coffee. She’d been pried out of her office to meet with to meet with her publishing company’s more prolific authors, a handsome Englishman named Lockhart with a talent for writing best-selling romance novels."
- Feeling Like Home (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (part 1): "After spending much of the moving trip very slowly making their way through snow and ice (with Pennsylvania being the worst), Trent and Jane had gotten far enough south to be in clear weather."
- Getting Out From Under It, by Erin M (part 4): "The worlds Jane saw ran the gamut."
- "Two Things are Infinite...", by welltemperedclavier (parts 1 - 9): "So far as Daria could tell, Brittany limited herself to exactly four different facial expressions: a vacuous half-smile; an even more vacuous full smile; a vacuous pout; and a decidedly less vacuous frown that, sometimes, hinted there might be more going on behind her big blue eyes than she let on." (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4) (Part 5) (Part 6) (Part 7) (Part 8) (Part 9)
- You Want It Darker, by LSM (part 16): "'How's my favourite sister?' Somewhere, deep in wherever she was now, came a voice not heard for months."
Friday, August 27, 2021
Looks like Tom had some good luck on International Lottery Day, even though of course he's the last person who needs to win the lottery. Oh, well. Who said life was fair? Probably Tom Sloane. Bastard.
Today is also the anniversary of the movie "Is It Fall Yet?," which aired on this day in 2000. It's also the anniversary of the Daria Post-Movie Chat, in which Daria and Jane answered questions from fans. As you can see from the transcript, they were 100% serious in every single one of their answers. Snort.
- mudpuddle7 invites everyone to join the Daria Fan Channel watch parties.
- What was the worst movie you saw at a theater?
- Discuss the rift in fandom history.
- Share the best dub version of a well known cartoon or movie.
Wednesday, August 25, 2021
The Fashion Club is collecting donations for National Secondhand Wardrobe Day, but I think they might be rethinking their decision. And all of their life choices leading them up to this moment, honestly.
Today is also Kiss and Make Up Day, which one could argue was the end result of Daria and Tom's growing animosity toward each other over Jane. And then Daria had to make up with Jane, which did not involve kissing unless you've read a specific genre of fanfic.
- American Dream, by ladyevil (part 1): "'Guano see some gutsy climbing?' asked the TV announcer. 'Scaling the world's tallest pile of seagull droppings, next on Sick, Sad World.'"
- End Of An Era ( Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "'This very last one goes out to the one I love,' Trent spoke into the microphone on stage at his very last performance at Ruttheimer's."
- Lawndale, by patrickxtrem (part 3): "Jane Lane continued to do some morning artwork before heading to school, as she almost finished her painting of a zombie eating Principal Angela Li's head with her brain showing."
Monday, August 23, 2021
Sandi is observing Ride the Wind Day, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this was unintentional. At least, on her part. Has anyone seen Stacy lately?
Today is also National Heroes' Day, so hopefully someone will catch Sandi before she lands on a cow. I hear it's a terrible way to go.
- sicksadcynic started a new Creative Thread for short stories and other small projects.
- Post Daria videos you find online.
- R.I.P. Tom T. Hall.
Saturday, August 21, 2021
Quinn really needs to start remembering her sunscreen, unless she's just trying to celebrate Senior Citizens Day. Either way, the boys of Lawndale High may never recover from the shock.
Today is also the anniversary of the founding of the American Bar Association on this day in 1878. I don't know if Helen will be celebrating, but I think the original founders would be horrified by what she's done to their profession.
- An American Band, by ladyevil (parts 4 and 5): "'I am going to the picnic,' Jesse said, taking his turn in the game. 'And I'm bringing an American flag, brine shrimp and the cryogenically frozen head of Walt Disney'" (Part 5)
- Cat in the Cradle 2.0 (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "Jane had been trying to call Trent for nearly ten minutes straight. She knew that late morning was one of the worst times to try to get a hold of him, but a certain someone dropping in out of nowhere made this a special case."
- Getting Out From Under It, by Erin M (part 3): "Jane reached out and touched one of the tiny holographic Earths. It immediately expanded into a large rectangle in front of her and displayed another version of herself, dressed identically and talking to Daria."
Thursday, August 19, 2021
Jane's obviously enjoying World Photography Day, but that may be because she's using the holiday as an excuse to capture Daria's most embarrassing moments on film. Not really any different than any other day for her, really.
Today is also National Potato Day, so the Morgendorffers can gather around the table with plates of spuds again, just like a scene from Angela's Ashtray...or something.
- Share your thoughts on the fall of Afghanistan.
- Talk about sports in a new thread.
- What do you think about creating a series by combining two existing ones?
- sparrowgal has started a Class of '94 Yearbook art project.
Tuesday, August 17, 2021
Daria's getting ready to celebrate the anniversary of the publication of the novel Animal Farm on this day in 1945 by--what else?--reading Animal Farm. It'd be kind of silly to read anything else, wouldn't it?
Today is also the anniversary of one of Daria's earliest features in 1997, in The Chicago Tribune. Abby Terkuhle said, "What separates 'Beavis and Butt-head' from 'Daria' is a lot of brain cells," and I think that's about the truest thing I ever heard.
- An American Band, by ladyevil (part 3): "Inside the Tank, they were still waiting out the traffic when Trent suddenly realized 'I shouldn’t have eaten all that salad.'"
- Obligatory Beach Episode, by wheresthequeef (COMPLETE!): "Already sweating as they ascend the sandy boardwalk onto the beach, Daria grimaces under the blazing, mid-summer sun."
- Hurricane Daria (The Carbones), by wilddogjj (part 1): "A not-fully-awake Jim entered the kitchen in his bathrobe and turned on the coffee maker. As he walked towards the table to wait for his coffee to brew the door to the laundry room opened and Daria emerged."
- Ozark Odyssey (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (parts 7 and 8): "After a day of hiking, one would expect Rose to be able to get a very good night's sleep. But for whatever reason, she just couldn't. Even Jane had managed to fall asleep before her." (Part 8)
Sunday, August 15, 2021
Helen and Jake are making the most of Relaxation Day, and I don't blame them. I mean, this is probably the one day out of every year that they aren't freaking out about work or their childhoods or the bills or which of their daughters is alone in a room with a boy. Relax, you two! You've earned it!
Today is also the day that Alternapalooza started, according to the Daria Diaries. The year was most likely in 1997, but like all Daria chronology it's hard to pin down precisely. We should just be glad the concert wasn't on May 12, the date the Morgendorffer calendar seems perpetually stuck on.
- Share your fitness goals post-lockdown.
- Discuss the PPMB outage and related issues.
- Join in the Five Words game, now on Lawndale-high.
- Shiva posted a new Iron Chef: The Lost Semester.
- What do you think are the Do's and Don'ts of preserving our fandom history?
- Vote in the Celebrity Deathmatch poll between John-Boy Walton and Mr. Haney.
Friday, August 13, 2021
While Brittany tries to work out whether she's a righty or a lefty, let me wish all the left-handed people out there (including my husband and daughter) a happy Left Hander's Day! Keep smudging that ink on the side of your hand with pride, guys!
Please be extra careful no matter which hand is your dominant one, though, because today is also Friday the 13th. Avoid ladders, don't break any mirrors, and if you see a black cat...pet it. It's a cute little kitty!
- An American Band, by ladyevil (parts 1 and 2): "Daria sat on Jane’s bed watching TV. A promo for the next episode of Sick, Sad World came on." (Part 2)
- Getting Out From Under It, by Erin M (part 2): "'What the hell?!' Jane yelped, sliding back so far she almost fell off the log. The older Jane reached out and caught her forearm, preventing the teenager from taking a spill."
- Ozark Odyssey (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (parts 5 and 6): "Daria was certainly not expecting to find Jane awake when she entered the house with Rose." (Part 6)
Wednesday, August 11, 2021
Trent and Jane are ready to celebrate Son and Daughter Day, but first they need to find their parents. Maybe they'll turn up by the time next year's Son and Daughter Day comes around.
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "Just Add Water" in 1999. It's not exactly a fan favorite, but you've got to appreciate the rare moment of comeuppance for Sandi at the end. I know Quinn did, anyway.
Finally, it was on this day in 1995 that the series pilot "Sealed with a Kick" was completed. I think the first thing that most of us think of with that one is the creepy smile. It's also the first thing I see in my nightmares.
Monday, August 9, 2021
Looks like Helen just found out that today is National Women's Day, but if you think she's going to use the day as an excuse to take some time off, then think again. I mean, have you even met Helen?
If she did ever decide to take some time off, I can think of no better way to spend it than reading on this lovely Book Lover's Day. I assume it goes without saying that Daria is already on it.
- Big In Japan, by WildDogJJ (COMPLETE!): "Jim was speaking Japanese to a street vendor while Quinn and the triplets watched nervously. It was turning out to be a disasterous evening." (Part 7) (Part 8) (Part 9)
- Bravo Zulu - A Lawndale High Story, by benson (part 2): "Two days until classes began, and Principal Sloan sat in his office just a couple hours after sunrise, the phone in his hand."
- In Media Les, by nachobra (part 1): "Daria had turned the music off about an hour into the drive once the sound of the rain hitting the car began to drown out the stereo."
- Lawndale, by patrickxtrem (parts 1 and 2): "A teenage girl with glasses, a green jacket, and a black skirt entered the police station, as she walked up to the front desk to a plump cop drinking a decaf coffee." (Part 2)
- Ozark Odyssey ( Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by linnofthewoods (part 4): "'Trent!' A kind but insistent voice was making its way into Trent's dream... 'Trent!'"
Saturday, August 7, 2021
Daria is ready to tell some nice stories around the fire for Campfire Day, so won't you join her? I'm sure it'll be good wholesome fun right up until she gets to the part with the dismembering.
Because yesterday was International Beer Day, it only makes sense that today is International Hangover Day. Kevin, I'm sure, has been celebrating both. One wonders what the greeting cards are like!
- The PPMB is still down. If you haven't already, check out the Lawndale-high Message Board.
- Vote in the Deadliest Warrior poll between Planet of the Apes and V.
Thursday, August 5, 2021
On the one hand, Upchuck is the last person I want to see celebrating National Underwear Day. On the other hand, it beats the alternative of not wearing underwear at all. So you see my dilemma.
Today is also Work Like a Dog Day, which Helen will be observing just as she does every other day. I, personally, would prefer to work like a cat.
The PPMB is currently down, and may take a few days to fix. In the meantime, the links below will not work. Please be patient as the issues get resolved!
- Big In Japan, by WildDogJJ (part 5): "Nurse Keikio Nakamura was walking through the halls of the US Military Hospital. The serene smile on her face contradicts the determination of her stride."
- Me and My Big Mouth, by Lady Evil (COMPLETE!): "Link came out of the bathroom, wondering if trying to drown his sorrows in soda had really been a good idea."
Tuesday, August 3, 2021
I don't think I've ever seen Jesse this expressive, so maybe it turns out that smashing watermelons on National Watermelon Day is his true passion in life. I mean, it's messy but it sure beats wrestling a greasy watermelon out of the water, doesn't it?
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "Write Where It Hurts," which aired on this day in 1998. I love all of the random literary and movie parodies in this one, but my favorite has to be the Jane Austen one. Even if the accents are...weird.
- What do you think about robotic police dogs?
- Discuss some of the recent news in Belarus.
- Talk about the limits of friendship, or why Jane forgave Daria.
Sunday, August 1, 2021
Tiffany's all suited up for National Mountain Climbing Day, which surprises me a bit. I mean, not only is she attempting actual physical exertion, but she's even dressed more or less appropriately for it! Helmet, gloves, safety gear...not a single high-heeled shoe or slip dress to be seen!
Today is also MTV's 40th birthday, which means the TV channel is definitely too old for its own key demographic. Time to trade out for a younger model!
- Big In Japan, by WildDogJJ (parts 2 - 4): "Tony sat alone in his hospital bed. Fortunately, his room had a TV. He looked up and watched a news report." (Part 3) (Part 4)
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 12): "'Um, Jesse?' Jane said as Jesse managed to honk his way past another motorist who was using the wrong finger to point at him. 'It’s not like Trent’s having a baby or anything.'"
- Bravo Zulu - A Lawndale High Story, by benson (part 1): "Colonel Tom Sloan, USMC Retired, stood in his pressed officer's uniform, stared up at the Lawndale High School's front signage in the early dawn of September, and snarled."
- Daria on the Trail (Daria Landing In Another Fanfiction: An Experiment), by Meester_Lee (part 8): "Mr. Orrick and the other men returned in the early afternoon. Daria and the other women had just a communal potty break when Daria saw someone driving a covered wagon eastward driven by what looked like a familiar team of oxen."
- Daria's Great Adventure, by dmsfanman (part 40): "Daria opened her eyes as she felt a hand on her shoulder gently shaking her."
- Daria: Spring Is Icumin, by Meester_Lee (parts 3 and 4): "Well, here goes, thought Amy, pulling out her cell phone. She’d added Helen’s home phone number to her contact list sometime after Helen and her family had come back east from that awful place in Texas but never used it." (Part 4)
- Doctor Who - Changes in Time and Space, by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 3): "It was a normal day at Stargate Command; as normal as a day could get at a US Air Force installation with an interstellar portal device anyway."
- Getting Out From Under It, by Erin M. (part 1): "Jane watched as the Tank made its way back down the winding dirt road toward Ashfield’s main gate and the highway. As soon as the ancient van turned and was out of sight, she sighed and began making her way back to the cabin."
- One Big Hippie Family, by Kristen Bealer (COMPLETE!): "Once every bit of old clothing Jake and Helen owned was covered in swirling bright colors, the family moved on to the drum circle. Daria's observation that it was technically a square was ignored by all."
- Ozark Odyssey (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (part 3): "After everyone had finally fallen asleep at almost 3, Trixie the cat had been spending the night sniffing absolutely everything that had been brought into her territory."
Friday, July 30, 2021
Here we see Jake preparing to meet Corporal Ellenbogen at the Buxton Ridge reunion, ready to make birthday boy Arnold Schwarzenegger proud. I could see Jake as an Arnold fan, actually. It's not such a big leap from John Wayne to Arnold Schwarzenegger when you really think about it.
Today is also International Day of Friendship, so hopefully Daria and Jane will enjoy each other's company and not think about certain past events better left unmentioned. The last thing we want is for Jane to borrow one of Jake's guns.
Wednesday, July 28, 2021
Looks like Mrs. Johanssen's wildest dream has come true in what can only be described as a National Milk Chocolate Day miracle. The downside is that eating her favorite food now qualifies as cannibalism.
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "Speedtrapped" in 1999. Never mind the fun of seeing Daria and Quinn work together or Mystik Spiral's take on children's songs--the real takeaway is the PSA about never picking up hitchhikers. They might be axe murderers or, worse, country music singers!
- The Barksdale Son (Iron Chef: Daria The Youngest Barksdale), by Shiva (COMPLETE!): "'Yo Daniel!' Daniel Barksdale glanced up from his laptop and the pile of books in front of him, the speaker was a friendly acquaintance of his, Julius Cornell."
- Big In Japan, by WildDogJJ (part 1): "A US Army patrol was traipsing through the jungle sweating profousely in the brutally hot sun. It's only April, but the heat and humidity are already unbearable."
- Daria on the Trail (Daria Landing In Another Fanfiction: An Experiment), by Meester_Lee (part 7): "The Northerner was gone when Mrs. Trout awoke Daria the next morning."
- Daria: Spring Is Icumin In, by Meester_Lee (part 2): "Amy Barksdale glared at her new ride’s dashboard to no avail. Not only would her new sports car not start up, the dashboard wouldn’t light up either."
- Ozark Odyssey (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (parts 1 and 2): "'Welcome aboard,' the airline pilot spoke into the microphone. 'Our flight to the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport should be approximately four and a half hours.'" (Part 2)
- The Youngest Barksdale (Iron Chef: Daria The Youngest Barksdale), by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 1): "Daria Barksdale looked at Lawndale as the plane flew over on approach to the airport. She still wasn’t sure why she had to live with Helen and her family."
Monday, July 26, 2021
I know that today is Aunt and Uncle Day and I'm only showing you aunts, but I can explain. See, Rita is trying to figure out which of her marriages is the legal one so she knows who Daria and Quinn's uncle is. Amy is trying to convince Rita that she is, really and truly, married to Ralph Fiennes, making him their uncle. Daria and Quinn have long since given up trying to make peace between them.
Speaking of combustibility, today is also the anniversary of the episode "Fire!" on this day in 2000. No aunts or uncles in that one, unless you count Bobby the bellboy's nonexistent uncle, the supposed manager of the hotel. Which I don't.
- yungclorox33 started a new thread for his artwork.
- R.I.P., Jackie Mason.
- Watch an ER doctor react to Daria medical scenes.
Saturday, July 24, 2021
Looks like Trent is trying out a new style for National Day of the Cowboy, but I don't think Mystik Spiral will be impressed. The shift to country music from...whatever genre the Spiral technically is...can't be an easy one.
Today is also Cousins Day, so I hope Quinn will be extra nice to her "cousin," Daria. At the very least, she could try to not insult her too much today. I know, my standards are way too high.
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 11): "'Close your mouth, Jane.' Daria told her. 'You’re starting to drool.' 'So hot and juicy....' Jane moaned, watching Ludwig turn wurst on the grill."
- Daniel Mongendorffer, by ST91 (part 73): "That evening Daniel struggled to fall asleep. The discussion with his father resonated in a loop in his mind."
- One Big Hippie Family, by Kristen Bealer (part 2): "True to her word, Helen woke up Daria and Quinn first thing in the morning. 'The sun's barely up,' Daria groaned, rolling over and pulling her pillow over her head."
- Ozark Odyssey (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (prologue): "Angus McGogg has just gotten out of the shower when he passed by Trent's room. The door was open, and he could be seen packing a large suitcase."
- Unnamed story (Scenes No Daria fanfic should have: The Closing Walls of Schloss Morgendorffer and Casa Lane), by Lady Evil (COMPLETE!): "Daria got in the roller coaster to 'The Tom Sloane' experience. Jane assured her this would help her cope with her recent break-up with Tom."
- Video Assignment Chaos, by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 3): "At the same time as the Morgendorffer-Thompson reconciliation and the discussion between Harris, Hecuba, Lane, Mackenzie and Taylor, there was another discussion on the topic of the Language Arts assignment."
Thursday, July 22, 2021
Clearly someone needs to call in back-up for Ratcatcher's Day, because it's going to be extra hard to get those little critters now that they're on drugs. Would Jake call them squirrels without fluffy tails?
Today is also Pi Approximation Day, so treat yourself to some approximate pie! That sounds like something Jake would make, doesn't it? Hopefully not out of rats.
- Erin M. posted a new Iron Chef: Movie, Burger, Backseat.
- View and discuss images and videos from Daria’s Sick Sad Life Planner.
- Share your thoughts on some controversial old stories.
- Vote in the Deadliest Warrior poll between Blake Carrington from the original Dynasty and John Dutton from Yellowstone.
- Check out the combined artwork by BloodyWilliam for Erin M.'s "Daria & Son" series.
- ognawk has made the Lawndale Lowdown Podcast Archives available for download.
Tuesday, July 20, 2021
If Tiffany's trying to catch a lunar view for National Moon Day, then I think I can spot the fatal flaw in her plan. Still, I hope the holiday is about the moon in the sky and not the other kind of moons. As Tiffany would say, ewwwwwwwwww.
Today is also International Chess Day, and Kevin is still waiting for someone to king him.
Finally, this is the anniversary of the episode "See Jane Run," which aired on this day in 1998. Jane's love of running was the main focus of the episode, but I'm still interested in the insight we gained into the dynamic of Daria and Jane's friendship. Daria is super insecure about Jane having outside interests apart from her, especially when guys are involved. Foreshadowing?
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 10): "'Hey, kitty, you might want to get out of the way.' Heracles said to a Maine Coon that followed him to the beach where he was taking a watermelon and picnic blanket."
- Daria's Cruise, by Meester_Lee (parts 2 and 3): "Jake held the scratch-off game card in his hand. He was a winner: he had seven matching tokens." (Part 3)
- I'm Just Drawn That Way, by Honey-On-Toast (COMPLETE!): "Daria and Jane returned to the Lane residence stuffed with pepperoni and cheese, their stomach gurgling at the rich abundance it was trying to digest."
- Memories of Deep Duck Thoughts (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "Rose's mother, Veronika, was on the front deck of their house, making cornflower blue yarn on her spinning wheel."
- Oh, Sister (The Carbones), by WildDogJJ (part 2): "Jim, Quinn, Daria and Jim's sister, Anna, were in the kitchen. Daria didn't have her glasses and was convinced Anna stole them overnight to spite her while Quinn was playing peacemaker."
- One Big Hippie Family, by Kristen Bealer (part 1): "Helen trudged into the kitchen, head whirling with angry and miserable thoughts. The only thing she wanted to do was pour out all of her troubles to her husband. He wasn't exactly likely to be helpful, but she could always count on him for sympathy."
- Unnamed story (Scenes, Brainstorms, and Drabbles Thread), by benson (parts 1 and 2): "The pouring rain caused the filthy, reeking clay mud to splatter into Sloan's face as he held the barrel of the M4 carbine with the attached MILES laser emitter just out of the small creek." (Part 2)
Sunday, July 18, 2021
Mack has clearly had better National Ice Cream Days, but I'm sure next year will be better. Because he'll remember to duck? Nah. Maybe he'll just make Kevin take over.
Today is also World Listening Day, so, uh...shhhhhhhhh.
Friday, July 16, 2021
I think Helen is overachieving for World Snake Day, but I guess we shouldn't have expected anything less. Maybe she could put the bow and arrow down, though.
Today is also the anniversary of the Apollo 11 spaceflight, so all you space nerds in fandom should party hard.
- Alone Again, Inevitably (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "Jane couldn't sleep. The past two months with her beloved Alan at her side had come to an abrupt end with a phone call he'd gotten during dinner the night before."
- Daria on the Trail (Daria Landing In Another Fanfiction: An Experiment), by Meester_Lee (part 6): "They’d gotten down from Scott’s Bluff, then circled the wagons and made camp a couple of miles further west."
- Daria's Cruise, by Meester_Lee (part 1): "It started in a United Grocery parking lot."
- I'm Just Drawn That Way, by Honey-On-Toast (part 1): "Helen had no choice but to forgive her daughter. She'd gone so far as to consider the alternative and tried. And that was really all she could ask for."
- Oh, Sister (The Carbones), by Oh, Sister (part 1): "It's morning and Jim is waking up. As he emerges from bed 1950's jazz music plays."
Wednesday, July 14, 2021
I really don't think Jane is going to succeed at convincing Daria to come out for her nude scene, even if today is National Nude Day. Come on, Daria! It's crucial to your character!
Today is also Shark Awareness Day and, sorry Jordana, shark teeth don't count. I feel like anyone who is anywhere near a shark is already intensely aware of it...or they will be soon.
Finally, today is the anniversary of both "The Teachings of Don Jake" in 1997 and "Lane Miserables" in 1999. Both episodes gave us some interesting insights (and fanfic fodder) about Jane's family--extended in the first, and immediate in the second. All things considered, she's surprisingly well-adjusted!
- The list of finished 2021 Daria Fanfiction has been updated!
- R.I.P, Charles Robinson.
- Vote in the Celebrity Deathmatch poll between Louie De Palma and Franklin Hart, Jr.
Monday, July 12, 2021
Brittany couldn't be more excited! I mean, it's Jello! On National Eat Your Jello Day! What could be better? I mean, aside from a food that isn't Jello.
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "Legends of the Mall," which aired on this day in 2000. I wonder if the Rattling Girl of Lawndale, Metalmouth, and the girl from the House of Bad Grades ever get together for meetings? I hope someone brings a can opener.
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 9): "'Alfred throws a good party.' Heracles said, sipping his Coke."
- Daniel Mongendorffer, by ST91 (part 72): "A strange atmosphere hung over the Morgendorffer family that evening. An atmosphere of good humor."
- Daria Ravenclaw: The Year of the Owl, by Meester_Lee (part 46): "What surprised Daria was how easily she was able to slide back into the rhythms of student life at Hogwarts."
- The Fabulous Fashion Club (Scenes No Daria fanfic should have: The Closing Walls of Schloss Morgendorffer and Casa Lane), by Linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): " Announcer: 'Waif' magazine presents... The Fabulous Fashion Club!"
- Jane's Day in Bed, by hideousmeerkat (COMPLETE!): "Jane groaned as she woke up in her small Boston apartment, annoyed that the day was able to snake it's way through the cracks of the blackout curtains."
- Unnamed story (Scenes No Daria fanfic should have: The Closing Walls of Schloss Morgendorffer and Casa Lane), by WacoKid (COMPLETE!): "'Jane, I'm uncomfortable with this.' 'Trust me, Daria, it'll be fine.'"
Saturday, July 10, 2021
I think Mr. Whiskers is a little old to be celebrating National Kitten Day, but then again, if he's anything like my cat then age is just a number. Cat or kitten, Jake should really keep his distance. Cats of all ages tend to appreciate boundaries and personal space.
- Talk about screwed up 2000's cartoons.
- Kem found 50 Sick Sad 'Daria' Tattoos.
- Vote in the Celebrity Deathmatch poll between Gordon Ramsay and Jon Taffer.
Thursday, July 8, 2021
Jake seems to be trying out a new look for Body Painting Day, but I doubt his clients will be impressed. Err...that is body paint, right Jake? Jake?
Today is also Video Game Day, so feel free to join Daria in a round of Cannibal Fragfest or tour a virtual reality medieval castle with Ted!
- Adventures in Brat-sitting (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "Trent breathed a soft sigh of relief when he checked back in Chuckie's room. Soon after his deliberately bad behavior gave way into a crying fit that reflected his true motivations, Chuckie fell asleep." (Part 4) (Part 5)
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 8): "'I think Danny’s over Daria’s sister.' Trent said as he and Jesse tuned their guitars. 'Yeah.'"
- Daria: Spring Is Icumin In, by Meester_Lee (part 1): "Daria Morgendorffer squirmed in her chair. Her Mom had called another family meeting and said that attendance was mandatory."
- Doctor Who: Troubles of Ronisaka, by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 2): "Clara already knew that Time Lord eyes could see more than human eyes, so she knew the Doctor wouldn’t have much trouble."
Tuesday, July 6, 2021
While Tom and Daria seem content to celebrate International Kissing Day, I think for them the real kissing day was what Quinn fondly recalls as "the instance of sleazy backstabbing." Ah, sweet memories!
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "Ill," which aired on this day in 1998. In which Daria didn't kiss anyone, but did end up with a nasty (and never fully explained) rash. I'm not sure which was the less pleasant experience, honestly.
- Choose the winner in a Celebrity Demolition Derby.
- Vote in the Deadliest Warrior poll between Talky Tina and Chucky.
Sunday, July 4, 2021
Travis is all ready for National Country Music Day, but I don't know if Daria will be able to stomach it. Then again, I'm sure Travis isn't so keen to see her either, considering their last interaction involved her trying to run him over with a car.
Luckily, Daria might be able to rely on Independence Day fireworks to drown out the sound of Travis's music! I wonder if Holiday Island High's version of Independence Day likes fireworks, or they prefer to celebrate quietly by dumping tea into a harbor.
- Adventures in Brat-sitting (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (part 2): "Trent shook himself awake and for a moment forgot where he was. But of course reality began to register and he realized this was the Ruttheimers' living room."
- Art Burn – Facebook Edition (Iron Chef: Facebook episodes), by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (COMPLETE!): "Trent Lane, Jesse Moreno, Nickolas Campbell and Max Tyler joined the Event Filming of Mystik Spiral Music Video at Casa Lane (in the Gazebo)."
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (parts 6 and 7): "Sandi sighed as she looked out the window on a bright summer day. She used to love summer." (Part 7)
Friday, July 2, 2021
It's World UFO Day, which means it's time for all of Lawndale to lose their minds over Communist conspiracy theories, neck zits, and random immigration raids. Who says small town life is dull?
Today is also the anniversary of the disappearance of Amelia Earhart in 1937. Maybe one day the aliens will bring her back on their UFO? It could happen.
- Vote in the polls between The Griffins vs. the Boyles and BTS vs. Spot.
- Should you be able to go to college if you want to or not? Share your thoughts in the thread.
- cfardellbrenorenz29 posted a new Iron Chef: Mix them up. DariaXDaria Crossover!
- Congratulations to Wally Funk, who will fly on the first New Shepard human flight.
Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Jake's just thrilled to find out that someone accepted his friend request on Social Media Day! I really don't think I want to know what Jake would be like on social media, though. He'd be the guy forwarding all of the debunked urban legends and spamming everyone with quiz results, wouldn't he? For extra fun, check out this (still occasionally active) Iron Chef thread from years back on what various Daria episodes would have been like if they'd played out on social media! There's still room for more episodes, too...hint, hint....
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "The Big House," which aired on this day in 1997. So many gems in that one: DeMartino's manic exercise sequence, Daria torturing her parents with Scrabble, the whole thing with the harmonica? (chef's kiss)
- Adventures in Brat-sitting (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (part 1): "'EEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!' The scream of a maiden could be heard all throughout the village."
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 5): "'Absolutely disgusting.' Daria said, looking at her reflection in the mirror."
- Old School Blues, by welltemperedclavier (COMPLETE!): "Jane Lane sometimes wondered just how much of the dust in the air came from irradiated human bones."
- Pinch Sitter 2 (The Carbones), by WildDogJJ (COMPLETE!): "Quinn and Jim were back from the club with energy to spare. As such, the entire floor could hear the passionate lovemaking going on in their hotel room."
Monday, June 28, 2021
I know exactly how Jane feels right now. I mean, Daria celebrating International Body Piercing Day? When she surely knows that it's just a holiday thought up by corporations to sell more body piercing-related greeting cards? Wow, what a sell-out.
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "Psycho Therapy," which aired on this day in 2000. My favorite scene from this one is the role-playing exercise. So much disaster, so quickly.
- Vote in the Deadliest Warrior poll between Storm Shadow and Elektra.
Saturday, June 26, 2021
Quinn's celebrating Beautician's Day, but I'm sure she'd be there regardless of what holiday is today. If you visit a beauty salon today, be sure to thank the professionals...or at least offer to buy some scissors from them.
Today is also National Chocolate Pudding Day, and I think Brittany speaks not just for Daria but for all of us when she denounces that gross pudding skin. Blech.
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (parts 2 - 4): "So, please, oh please R.S.V.P. And come and be my guest!" (Part 3) (Part 4)
- Guilty Pleasure (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "Trent of course wasn't the only one back in NYC Rose was texting every day. She also kept in touch with Daria, Jane, and Jodie."
- Mega Mall Mega Problems, by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 2): "Thursday came rather quickly. However, Xander quickly found a problem. 'I have to take Sam and Chris to school?'"
- Pinch Sitter 2 (The Carbones), by WildDogJJ (parts 1 and 2): "Jim was in the home office paying bills. He looked at one and his eyes went wide." (Part 2)
Thursday, June 24, 2021
Jodie's taking a break from school, extracurricular activities, and reality in general for International Fairy Day! I wish her the best of luck--a magic wand is the only way she's going to get any time off...ever.
Today is also Swim a Lap Day, so let me just advise you to SWIM, YOU COW, SWIM!
Sorry. Coach talk.
- Share who you think should be on the Mt. Rushmore of voice acting.
- Lady Evil posted information about some of her OC's.
- Discuss the recent historic election in NYC.
- The 'zine "you're standing on my neck" is calling for submissions.
- DocForbin wonders if anyone has seen a missing person.
- R.I.P., John McAfee.
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Helen's really not enjoying National Kissing Day, but maybe Jake can change her mind. Let's just hope no one uses the holiday as an excuse for stabbing their best friend in the back. Just hypothetically speaking. Not naming names. Cough.
Today is also National Columnists Day, so maybe Future Daria can put her thoughts about kissing and/or betrayal into words and publish them. Or it could be fodder for Brittany's "Ask Brittany" column.
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 1): "Daria wanted to spend the summer day sleeping, but she knew that wouldn’t convince her mother that she had volunteered to work at the library."
- Snail Mail (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "Jane and Alan had invited Trent over to their Soho loft for an early dinner. He was very happy to accept the invitation; since Rose left for home it seemed like everyone was either too busy or exhausted to hang out as much as they had during the summer."