Friday, July 30, 2021
Here we see Jake preparing to meet Corporal Ellenbogen at the Buxton Ridge reunion, ready to make birthday boy Arnold Schwarzenegger proud. I could see Jake as an Arnold fan, actually. It's not such a big leap from John Wayne to Arnold Schwarzenegger when you really think about it.
Today is also International Day of Friendship, so hopefully Daria and Jane will enjoy each other's company and not think about certain past events better left unmentioned. The last thing we want is for Jane to borrow one of Jake's guns.
Wednesday, July 28, 2021
Looks like Mrs. Johanssen's wildest dream has come true in what can only be described as a National Milk Chocolate Day miracle. The downside is that eating her favorite food now qualifies as cannibalism.
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "Speedtrapped" in 1999. Never mind the fun of seeing Daria and Quinn work together or Mystik Spiral's take on children's songs--the real takeaway is the PSA about never picking up hitchhikers. They might be axe murderers or, worse, country music singers!
- The Barksdale Son (Iron Chef: Daria The Youngest Barksdale), by Shiva (COMPLETE!): "'Yo Daniel!' Daniel Barksdale glanced up from his laptop and the pile of books in front of him, the speaker was a friendly acquaintance of his, Julius Cornell."
- Big In Japan, by WildDogJJ (part 1): "A US Army patrol was traipsing through the jungle sweating profousely in the brutally hot sun. It's only April, but the heat and humidity are already unbearable."
- Daria on the Trail (Daria Landing In Another Fanfiction: An Experiment), by Meester_Lee (part 7): "The Northerner was gone when Mrs. Trout awoke Daria the next morning."
- Daria: Spring Is Icumin In, by Meester_Lee (part 2): "Amy Barksdale glared at her new ride’s dashboard to no avail. Not only would her new sports car not start up, the dashboard wouldn’t light up either."
- Ozark Odyssey (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (parts 1 and 2): "'Welcome aboard,' the airline pilot spoke into the microphone. 'Our flight to the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport should be approximately four and a half hours.'" (Part 2)
- The Youngest Barksdale (Iron Chef: Daria The Youngest Barksdale), by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 1): "Daria Barksdale looked at Lawndale as the plane flew over on approach to the airport. She still wasn’t sure why she had to live with Helen and her family."
Monday, July 26, 2021
I know that today is Aunt and Uncle Day and I'm only showing you aunts, but I can explain. See, Rita is trying to figure out which of her marriages is the legal one so she knows who Daria and Quinn's uncle is. Amy is trying to convince Rita that she is, really and truly, married to Ralph Fiennes, making him their uncle. Daria and Quinn have long since given up trying to make peace between them.
Speaking of combustibility, today is also the anniversary of the episode "Fire!" on this day in 2000. No aunts or uncles in that one, unless you count Bobby the bellboy's nonexistent uncle, the supposed manager of the hotel. Which I don't.
- yungclorox33 started a new thread for his artwork.
- R.I.P., Jackie Mason.
- Watch an ER doctor react to Daria medical scenes.
Saturday, July 24, 2021
Looks like Trent is trying out a new style for National Day of the Cowboy, but I don't think Mystik Spiral will be impressed. The shift to country music from...whatever genre the Spiral technically is...can't be an easy one.
Today is also Cousins Day, so I hope Quinn will be extra nice to her "cousin," Daria. At the very least, she could try to not insult her too much today. I know, my standards are way too high.
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 11): "'Close your mouth, Jane.' Daria told her. 'You’re starting to drool.' 'So hot and juicy....' Jane moaned, watching Ludwig turn wurst on the grill."
- Daniel Mongendorffer, by ST91 (part 73): "That evening Daniel struggled to fall asleep. The discussion with his father resonated in a loop in his mind."
- One Big Hippie Family, by Kristen Bealer (part 2): "True to her word, Helen woke up Daria and Quinn first thing in the morning. 'The sun's barely up,' Daria groaned, rolling over and pulling her pillow over her head."
- Ozark Odyssey (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (prologue): "Angus McGogg has just gotten out of the shower when he passed by Trent's room. The door was open, and he could be seen packing a large suitcase."
- Unnamed story (Scenes No Daria fanfic should have: The Closing Walls of Schloss Morgendorffer and Casa Lane), by Lady Evil (COMPLETE!): "Daria got in the roller coaster to 'The Tom Sloane' experience. Jane assured her this would help her cope with her recent break-up with Tom."
- Video Assignment Chaos, by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 3): "At the same time as the Morgendorffer-Thompson reconciliation and the discussion between Harris, Hecuba, Lane, Mackenzie and Taylor, there was another discussion on the topic of the Language Arts assignment."
Thursday, July 22, 2021
Clearly someone needs to call in back-up for Ratcatcher's Day, because it's going to be extra hard to get those little critters now that they're on drugs. Would Jake call them squirrels without fluffy tails?
Today is also Pi Approximation Day, so treat yourself to some approximate pie! That sounds like something Jake would make, doesn't it? Hopefully not out of rats.
- Erin M. posted a new Iron Chef: Movie, Burger, Backseat.
- View and discuss images and videos from Daria’s Sick Sad Life Planner.
- Share your thoughts on some controversial old stories.
- Vote in the Deadliest Warrior poll between Blake Carrington from the original Dynasty and John Dutton from Yellowstone.
- Check out the combined artwork by BloodyWilliam for Erin M.'s "Daria & Son" series.
- ognawk has made the Lawndale Lowdown Podcast Archives available for download.
Tuesday, July 20, 2021
If Tiffany's trying to catch a lunar view for National Moon Day, then I think I can spot the fatal flaw in her plan. Still, I hope the holiday is about the moon in the sky and not the other kind of moons. As Tiffany would say, ewwwwwwwwww.
Today is also International Chess Day, and Kevin is still waiting for someone to king him.
Finally, this is the anniversary of the episode "See Jane Run," which aired on this day in 1998. Jane's love of running was the main focus of the episode, but I'm still interested in the insight we gained into the dynamic of Daria and Jane's friendship. Daria is super insecure about Jane having outside interests apart from her, especially when guys are involved. Foreshadowing?
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 10): "'Hey, kitty, you might want to get out of the way.' Heracles said to a Maine Coon that followed him to the beach where he was taking a watermelon and picnic blanket."
- Daria's Cruise, by Meester_Lee (parts 2 and 3): "Jake held the scratch-off game card in his hand. He was a winner: he had seven matching tokens." (Part 3)
- I'm Just Drawn That Way, by Honey-On-Toast (COMPLETE!): "Daria and Jane returned to the Lane residence stuffed with pepperoni and cheese, their stomach gurgling at the rich abundance it was trying to digest."
- Memories of Deep Duck Thoughts (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "Rose's mother, Veronika, was on the front deck of their house, making cornflower blue yarn on her spinning wheel."
- Oh, Sister (The Carbones), by WildDogJJ (part 2): "Jim, Quinn, Daria and Jim's sister, Anna, were in the kitchen. Daria didn't have her glasses and was convinced Anna stole them overnight to spite her while Quinn was playing peacemaker."
- One Big Hippie Family, by Kristen Bealer (part 1): "Helen trudged into the kitchen, head whirling with angry and miserable thoughts. The only thing she wanted to do was pour out all of her troubles to her husband. He wasn't exactly likely to be helpful, but she could always count on him for sympathy."
- Unnamed story (Scenes, Brainstorms, and Drabbles Thread), by benson (parts 1 and 2): "The pouring rain caused the filthy, reeking clay mud to splatter into Sloan's face as he held the barrel of the M4 carbine with the attached MILES laser emitter just out of the small creek." (Part 2)
Sunday, July 18, 2021
Mack has clearly had better National Ice Cream Days, but I'm sure next year will be better. Because he'll remember to duck? Nah. Maybe he'll just make Kevin take over.
Today is also World Listening Day, so, uh...shhhhhhhhh.
Friday, July 16, 2021
I think Helen is overachieving for World Snake Day, but I guess we shouldn't have expected anything less. Maybe she could put the bow and arrow down, though.
Today is also the anniversary of the Apollo 11 spaceflight, so all you space nerds in fandom should party hard.
- Alone Again, Inevitably (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "Jane couldn't sleep. The past two months with her beloved Alan at her side had come to an abrupt end with a phone call he'd gotten during dinner the night before."
- Daria on the Trail (Daria Landing In Another Fanfiction: An Experiment), by Meester_Lee (part 6): "They’d gotten down from Scott’s Bluff, then circled the wagons and made camp a couple of miles further west."
- Daria's Cruise, by Meester_Lee (part 1): "It started in a United Grocery parking lot."
- I'm Just Drawn That Way, by Honey-On-Toast (part 1): "Helen had no choice but to forgive her daughter. She'd gone so far as to consider the alternative and tried. And that was really all she could ask for."
- Oh, Sister (The Carbones), by Oh, Sister (part 1): "It's morning and Jim is waking up. As he emerges from bed 1950's jazz music plays."
Wednesday, July 14, 2021
I really don't think Jane is going to succeed at convincing Daria to come out for her nude scene, even if today is National Nude Day. Come on, Daria! It's crucial to your character!
Today is also Shark Awareness Day and, sorry Jordana, shark teeth don't count. I feel like anyone who is anywhere near a shark is already intensely aware of it...or they will be soon.
Finally, today is the anniversary of both "The Teachings of Don Jake" in 1997 and "Lane Miserables" in 1999. Both episodes gave us some interesting insights (and fanfic fodder) about Jane's family--extended in the first, and immediate in the second. All things considered, she's surprisingly well-adjusted!
- The list of finished 2021 Daria Fanfiction has been updated!
- R.I.P, Charles Robinson.
- Vote in the Celebrity Deathmatch poll between Louie De Palma and Franklin Hart, Jr.
Monday, July 12, 2021
Brittany couldn't be more excited! I mean, it's Jello! On National Eat Your Jello Day! What could be better? I mean, aside from a food that isn't Jello.
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "Legends of the Mall," which aired on this day in 2000. I wonder if the Rattling Girl of Lawndale, Metalmouth, and the girl from the House of Bad Grades ever get together for meetings? I hope someone brings a can opener.
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 9): "'Alfred throws a good party.' Heracles said, sipping his Coke."
- Daniel Mongendorffer, by ST91 (part 72): "A strange atmosphere hung over the Morgendorffer family that evening. An atmosphere of good humor."
- Daria Ravenclaw: The Year of the Owl, by Meester_Lee (part 46): "What surprised Daria was how easily she was able to slide back into the rhythms of student life at Hogwarts."
- The Fabulous Fashion Club (Scenes No Daria fanfic should have: The Closing Walls of Schloss Morgendorffer and Casa Lane), by Linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): " Announcer: 'Waif' magazine presents... The Fabulous Fashion Club!"
- Jane's Day in Bed, by hideousmeerkat (COMPLETE!): "Jane groaned as she woke up in her small Boston apartment, annoyed that the day was able to snake it's way through the cracks of the blackout curtains."
- Unnamed story (Scenes No Daria fanfic should have: The Closing Walls of Schloss Morgendorffer and Casa Lane), by WacoKid (COMPLETE!): "'Jane, I'm uncomfortable with this.' 'Trust me, Daria, it'll be fine.'"
Saturday, July 10, 2021
I think Mr. Whiskers is a little old to be celebrating National Kitten Day, but then again, if he's anything like my cat then age is just a number. Cat or kitten, Jake should really keep his distance. Cats of all ages tend to appreciate boundaries and personal space.
- Talk about screwed up 2000's cartoons.
- Kem found 50 Sick Sad 'Daria' Tattoos.
- Vote in the Celebrity Deathmatch poll between Gordon Ramsay and Jon Taffer.
Thursday, July 8, 2021
Jake seems to be trying out a new look for Body Painting Day, but I doubt his clients will be impressed. Err...that is body paint, right Jake? Jake?
Today is also Video Game Day, so feel free to join Daria in a round of Cannibal Fragfest or tour a virtual reality medieval castle with Ted!
- Adventures in Brat-sitting (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (COMPLETE!): "Trent breathed a soft sigh of relief when he checked back in Chuckie's room. Soon after his deliberately bad behavior gave way into a crying fit that reflected his true motivations, Chuckie fell asleep." (Part 4) (Part 5)
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (part 8): "'I think Danny’s over Daria’s sister.' Trent said as he and Jesse tuned their guitars. 'Yeah.'"
- Daria: Spring Is Icumin In, by Meester_Lee (part 1): "Daria Morgendorffer squirmed in her chair. Her Mom had called another family meeting and said that attendance was mandatory."
- Doctor Who: Troubles of Ronisaka, by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 2): "Clara already knew that Time Lord eyes could see more than human eyes, so she knew the Doctor wouldn’t have much trouble."
Tuesday, July 6, 2021
While Tom and Daria seem content to celebrate International Kissing Day, I think for them the real kissing day was what Quinn fondly recalls as "the instance of sleazy backstabbing." Ah, sweet memories!
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "Ill," which aired on this day in 1998. In which Daria didn't kiss anyone, but did end up with a nasty (and never fully explained) rash. I'm not sure which was the less pleasant experience, honestly.
- Choose the winner in a Celebrity Demolition Derby.
- Vote in the Deadliest Warrior poll between Talky Tina and Chucky.
Sunday, July 4, 2021
Travis is all ready for National Country Music Day, but I don't know if Daria will be able to stomach it. Then again, I'm sure Travis isn't so keen to see her either, considering their last interaction involved her trying to run him over with a car.
Luckily, Daria might be able to rely on Independence Day fireworks to drown out the sound of Travis's music! I wonder if Holiday Island High's version of Independence Day likes fireworks, or they prefer to celebrate quietly by dumping tea into a harbor.
- Adventures in Brat-sitting (Linn's short stories (or ficlets, drabbles...)), by Linnofthewoods (part 2): "Trent shook himself awake and for a moment forgot where he was. But of course reality began to register and he realized this was the Ruttheimers' living room."
- Art Burn – Facebook Edition (Iron Chef: Facebook episodes), by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (COMPLETE!): "Trent Lane, Jesse Moreno, Nickolas Campbell and Max Tyler joined the Event Filming of Mystik Spiral Music Video at Casa Lane (in the Gazebo)."
- Born on the Fourth of July, by Lady Evil (parts 6 and 7): "Sandi sighed as she looked out the window on a bright summer day. She used to love summer." (Part 7)
Friday, July 2, 2021
It's World UFO Day, which means it's time for all of Lawndale to lose their minds over Communist conspiracy theories, neck zits, and random immigration raids. Who says small town life is dull?
Today is also the anniversary of the disappearance of Amelia Earhart in 1937. Maybe one day the aliens will bring her back on their UFO? It could happen.
- Vote in the polls between The Griffins vs. the Boyles and BTS vs. Spot.
- Should you be able to go to college if you want to or not? Share your thoughts in the thread.
- cfardellbrenorenz29 posted a new Iron Chef: Mix them up. DariaXDaria Crossover!
- Congratulations to Wally Funk, who will fly on the first New Shepard human flight.