Monday, May 30, 2022
Poor Memorial Day is not enjoying herself, but that may just be because she's stuck inside a high school instead of going out surfing or on a picnic or any of the other fun Memorial Day activities her day is known for. It doesn't help that Lincoln keeps pestering her to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, either.
Today is also National Creativity Day, and between Jane and Daria I think they've got it covered. I'd throw in Trent for musical creativity except that 1: he's probably asleep and 2: I don't know if "creative" is the most accurate description of his song lyrics.
Saturday, May 28, 2022
Daria's way ahead of us for National Hamburger Day, although whether she'll eat it or put it in her boots to enjoy the squishy, squishy feeling around her toes remains to be seen.
Today is also the anniversary of the episode "Life in the Past Lane," which aired in 2001. The episode is largely infamous for introducing Nathan, who is probably only exceeded in fandom's disdain by Ken Edwards. Poor Jane, like Aunt Rita, really knows how to pick 'em.
- The 25 Best Movies for a Bad Movie Night, by Erin M (part 6): "It’s Abby’s first day at the ultra-trendy Canadian Cotton Clothiers store and, lucky her, her first shift is an overnight store set up all for the season’s new collection."
- The Engineer and the Time Lady, by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 14): "'A day to Earth,' the ENH stated. '24 hours exactly?' Alpha asked. 'Yes,' the Pilot answered."
- Her Last Words, by Sheila Wisz Ellayn (part 21): "Anna Felicia Coulthard had known that she was somewhere very special since she had taken her first steps outside of that house, and yet now, about seven hours later, she was even more convinced that her life on Earth had ended for sure and now she was somewhere else for real."
- The Sappiest Place on Earth, by wilddogjj (part 4): "Daria, Quinn, Jim and Teddy were waiting for Jane, Tommy and Timmy to show up. Jim looked at his watch."
- With the Band, by vixens (COMPLETE!): "Leisure day was tomorrow, which meant Lawndale students finally had a chance of having a long weekend. Daria took it as an opportunity to stay over at the Lane household, also giving herself a break from the annoying family she was tired of putting up with."
Thursday, May 26, 2022
Check out Jane's dance performance in honor of Isadora Duncan, born on this day in 1877. While Jane usually goes in for the visual medium, art is art! I just hope she dances better than she sings.
Today is also John Wayne's birthday, which I'm sure Jake is pleased about. I wonder if he ever got that collectible coin out of the sink drain.
- Talk about the mass shooting at a grade school in Uvalde, Texas.
Tuesday, May 24, 2022
Jane and Trent are sharing a sweet moment for National Brother's Day, or at least a lot sweeter than anything going on between Sandi and her brothers right now. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the Griffin house is surrounded by police tape at this very moment.
Today is also National Escargot Day, so pull up a chair at Chez Pierre and--what? You don't have a reservation? Then no snails for you!
- American Girl, by ladyevil (part 4): "'So, Mom started telling me about how she learned from you and other sources how emotional neglect can produce toxic stress hormones.' Daria said to Dr. Becky."
- Her Last Words, by Sheila Wisz Ellayn (part 20): "It took Hemlock Allyngard some time just to decide exactly what kind of tactic to follow, it seemed that looking after the broken Anna Coulthard would be a lot more difficult than she had imagined and eventually she walked into the house trying to stay calm."
- The Sappiest Place on Earth, by wilddogjj (parts 2 and 3): "Daria, Jane, Quinn, Jim and the triplets were at baggage claim. They'd just finished taking their luggage off the carousel." (Part 3)
Sunday, May 22, 2022
Andrea looks uncharacteristically cheerful because today is World Goth Day. Not that goths would care about getting the approval of an official holiday, right? That seems very un-gothlike to me.
Today is also National Maritime Day, and I encourage Mr. DeMartino to take the opportunity to finally live his dream of a life at sea. It's never too late, and a bit of seasickness is worth it to be free of Kevin, isn't it?
Friday, May 20, 2022
Stacy's clearly enjoying NASCAR Day, and with no Sandi around to ruin it for her, why shouldn't she? Keep on driving, Stacy--leave the Fashion Club in your literal dust!
Today is also Be a Millionaire Day, but this one is a little tricky to celebrate. Unless you're a member of the Sloane family, anyway. Still, I'm happy to give it my best shot. Who's going to give me a million dollars?
- American Girl, by ladyevil (parts 2 and 3): "Jane, Daria and Alfred were in the cafeteria at lunch. 'So, rather than fly off to another Lane family reunion,' Jane was saying. 'Trent and I went out for Chinese on Thanksgiving. I had the Fu King shrimp with Fu King rice and a Fu King Coke.'" (Part 3)
- Daria Ravenclaw: The Legend of Sporting Joe, by Meester_Lee (part 3): "Helen came home while Jake and Daria were cooking dinner. Jake had silently marveled at how his oldest girl had improved her kitchen skills."
- Her Last Words, by Sheila Wisz Ellayn (part 17 - 19): "At first, everything in that place looked and felt exactly like Lawndale." (Part 18) (Part 19)
- A Variant Lawndale - Beach Party Invitation, by cfardell_Brenorenz29 (part 3): "'Look, two types of chips,' Daria said in a tone of fake excitement."
Wednesday, May 18, 2022
It's International Museum Day, but you aren't limited to the Museum of Medical Oddities. You could also visit the Dog Collar Museum in England, Salt and Pepper Shaker Museum in America, or the Avanos Hair Museum in Turkey...or be boring and go to a regular art museum, I guess.
Today is also Visit Your Relatives Day, but I think Jane and Trent will pass on the opportunity to go to another family reunion. Given the choice, I think they'd rather go to the hair museum.
- Vote in the Celebrity Deathmatch poll between The Warden from Superjail! and Col. Wilhelm Klink.
- Discuss the Buffalo supermarket shooting.
- The Jodie spinoff is going to be a movie!
- shiva wonders if anyone else is experiencing a weird error.
Monday, May 16, 2022
Daria's already gotten started celebrating National Piercing Day, but I hope she's ready for My Belly Button Itches Like Hell Day tomorrow. (Yes, I just made that up. Don't fact-check me.)
Today is also National Barbecue Day, so why not pave over that bomb shelter and make a grill to entertain the neighbors? Just check that everyone's out of the bomb shelter first, okay?
- Her Last Words, by Sheila Wisz Ellayn (parts 13 - 16): "It had been going on for quite some time already." (Part 14) (Part 15) (Part 16)
- The Sappiest Place on Earth, by WildDogJJ (part 1): "Daria and Jane were in their usual booth chatting over pizza, a habit from their days as teenagers in Lawndale that they continue as forty-year-old New Yorkers."
- Tori In A Box, by arsyncosplays (COMPLETE!): "'Michael’s going away for a week,' I say, Becky and I are walking down our school hallway. I graduate next month."
- Why the Morgendorffer's Don't Have a Third Child (Scenes no Daria fanfic Should Have: How did We survive?), by Shiva (COMPLETE!): "The seven-year-old Daria stood solemnly next to the makeshift guillotine, her handmade Marrianne of France costume held together by safety pins and prayers."
Saturday, May 14, 2022
Brittany is ready for National Windmill Day, but am I the only one who thinks those windows are a bit on the small side for her? Perhaps that's a good thing, or else the windmill arms wouldn't be able to rotate.
Today is also Archery Day, so this might be a good time for Linda and Helen to hold another "friendly" competition. Except that it would probably end in one or both of them dead from arrow injuries.
- Astrocar82 wonders if there is interest in remaking Credence.
- Discuss fanon middle names for Daria characters.
- Erin M shares something "dumb" he made.
Thursday, May 12, 2022
Quinn wants everyone to know that today is May 12th, which is the day the Morgendorffer calendar is inexplicably always stuck on. Groundhog Day scenario? Defective calendar? Quantum singularity? Sheer laziness? You make the call!
Today is also International Nurses Day, so to all the nurses out there--whether you're squealing in disgust at a student's rash or Tom dressing up as Nurse Goodnsexy--have a good one!
- American Girl, by ladyevil (part 1): "It was 10 am on Thanksgiving Day. Alfred basted the turkey breast loaf in his oven. It would be done in time for lunch."
- Daria Spin the Bottle, by Meester_Lee (part 9): "Her ears pierced, Daria stopped by the pharmacy to stock up on supplies while the healing process was underway, then returned home."
- Her Last Words, by Sheila Wisz Ellayn (part 9 - 12): "The forest had been quite dark and eerie at night, to the point that Quinn, Stacy and Jeffy had found it difficult to fall asleep, and yet everything was so different now that the sun was once again shining in a vast and clear August sky..." (Part 10) (Part 11) (Part 12)
Tuesday, May 10, 2022
Mrs. Bennett looks especially...um...crustaceous in honor of National Shrimp Day, and I'm just glad that the holiday refers to prawns. Us short people get enough grief as it is without needing a whole holiday to pick on us!
Today is also the beginning of National Mental Health Awareness Week, so please take care of yourself, okay? Also check in on your shrimp in case they're struggling. We all need help sometimes, even the invertebrates!
- Wouter has an art challenge to celebrate 25 years of Daria.
- So where is Lawndale exactly? Post your theories in the thread.
- View and discuss a clip on the detailed history of Beavis and Butt-Head.
- Has anyone experienced a "HTML:Script-inf [Susp]" alert when logging onto the Lawndale-high forum?
- bailey0799 posted a new Iron Chef: Andrea and Daria.
Sunday, May 8, 2022
Happy Mother's Day to every mother out there, but especially Tiffany, who is clearly not having one of her best days. Kudos to her for keeping her figure, though! That's right, Tiffany: you still do not look freaking fat.
Today is also No Socks Day, so mothers everywhere can air out those stinky feet! What, were you expecting flowers or a spa day or something? Pffft.
- Beach Party Invitation, by cfardellbrenorenz29 (part 2): "After bribing the guard with Jane’s life drawings, they entered Crewe Neck. “Interesting instrumentals,” Daria commented as they approached the Taylor’s mansion."
- Her Last Words, by Sheila Wisz Ellayn (parts 5 - 8): "It was already night at the peaceful streets of Lawndale, with the vast and lonely gardens, the sounds of birds and crickets and a few lights coming from every house here and there." (Part 6) (Part 7) (Part 8)
Friday, May 6, 2022
Let's have a brief Child Care Provider Day moment of silence for the many baby-sitters who fell in the line of duty while trying to wrangle Young Daria and Young Quinn. At least they can feel some satisfaction in knowing Daria got a taste of her own medicine in "Pinch Sitter."
Today is also National No Pants Day, and I just want to remind Jake that this holiday does not apply if he's going to stand in front of his bedroom window singing about what a beautiful morning in the 'burbs it is. Please.
- Talk about animation goofs in the show.
Wednesday, May 4, 2022
Trent is prepped and ready for International Firefighters Day, but he's not really the kind of fireman who inspires me with confidence. Yes, he's awake, but you just know he's going to get distracted trying to come up with another rhyme for "moth to a flame" and let the whole house burn down.
Today is also Star Wars Day, and if you have to ask why May Fourth is Star Wars Day then you clearly are not geeky enough for this fandom.
- Daria: In Another World?, by starwater09 (part 11): "Daria once again found herself spending the day alone from her friends...God was it strange to admit, but she did have friends (as in plural) now."
- Her Last Words, by Sheila Wisz Ellayn (parts 1 - 4): "Lawndale, just outside Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, was a very peaceful and almost perfect place for most people to settle and start a good family." (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4)
- A Lane’s Return to Lawndale, by cfardellbrenorenz29 (part 1): "Summer Lane looked at Lawndale from the roadside. She usually hated returning to the place. This time was no different."
Monday, May 2, 2022
Everyone say hi to Evan Landon for Baby Day, although considering that Evan was an infant in 1998 he's probably grown a bit since then. He might even have a baby of his own! Unless Andrew is still too young to be a grandfather, that is.
If Evan has more than one child, though, then they can also celebrate Brothers and Sisters Day. Heaven knows Jodie will be too busy to celebrate with him, and Rachel may not have forgiven him for taking her place as youngest in the family.
- wouter invites everyone to share moments of Beavis and Butt-Head alike humor in Nickelodeon cartoons.
- Vote in the Celebrity Deathmatch poll between Calvin and Hobbes and the Tuttle Twins.