Monday, March 24, 2008

The Exxon Valdez = The Princess Fairy?

Nineteen years ago today, the drunken captain of the gigantic oil tanker Exxon Valdez ran his ship aground, spilled his cargo, and destroyed Alaska (or a large part of it, anyway). This event was probably the inspiration for the Daria episode, "Just Add Water." Was Captain Hazelwood the model for Captain Nelson (at right)? You decide.

In the fandom, the question about Daria websites having any updates soon has been answered. Outpost Daria and Lawndale Online are both ready for action, but first they need SUBMISSIONS. Meaning, you have to write them and send them in. NOW. Richard Lobinske has prepared a helpful tutorial called "Preparing Simple HTML Files for Fan Fiction," located on PPMB Creative Writing forum.

Roentgen has designed a tidy table of Daria episodes with basic information on each for DariaWiki. Kudos to him for the excellent work. ("Kudos" is an Australian word meaning "more beer.") Almost up to 1,700 articles! Who will hit the magic number?

The newest creation from Fortress CINCGREEN is a look at Jodie and Mack, and their roles in Daria as "background color" (pun intended, sorry). I really liked this essay, an excellent probe into what each one of the two is really doing on the show. Jodie's analysis is especially revealing, a cautionary tale for Daria and those like her.

In the news, there's mention of Daria in an article on spin-offs, on a website devoted to Athens, Georgia. The website has one of those semi-unfortunate names that trick the eye (www.athensexchange.com). Get it? Huh huh huh huh huh.....

Um, more updates, then.


PPMB

SFMB

I'm toying with the idea of creating another "Fanworks Conventions" page on DariaWiki devoted to mysteries, spy thrillers, and other action/adventure fanfics. They date back to the start of the fandom, as far as I can tell. More later if I get going on this.

LATE ADD: A Louisiana State University opinion about the lamentable state of MTV, with mention of a familiar name. We know how you feel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like I've been doin' it wrong. I've been opening a reply window on PPMB, then I think of what to say, write till I hit a stopping place, then hit submit. I guess I'd better start working with HTML...

E. A. Smith said...

A Daria story on an Athens website. I love my hometown! :-D

The Angst Guy said...

Looks like I've been doin' it wrong. I've been opening a reply window on PPMB, then I think of what to say, write till I hit a stopping place, then hit submit. I guess I'd better start working with HTML...

It appears that a lot of Daria fans don't read PPMB, but they'll go to Outpost Daria or one of the other sites to read fanfic. It's just another way to get stuff out there. I still have stuff on PPMB that's not been put into HTML form.