Wednesday, April 23, 2008

This is what people do when they are home sick and very bored

So, here I am at home without nothing to do except use up boxes of tissues on my runny nose and drink fluids and take medicine and complain about my head cold (only a little), so what else is there to do to occupy myself?

Play Internet archaeologist, that's what.

I'm in the process of recreating an entire webpage from the old MTV Daria site, the Virtual Lawndale page that operated between October 19, 2000 and June 21, 2001, when the WayBack Machine took snapshots of it. Why do this? 'Cause I can. It's kind of fun, like putting a puzzle together. The webpage redirects very quickly to a 404 error message on the current MTV site, so you have to catch it just before anything loads on it and stop everything, then slowly pick out each missing piece, use the WayBack Machine to retrieve it, and put the big puzzle together. Being a latecomer to this bunch, I want to see what everyone else saw all those years ago when the fandom was young and in flower.

So far things are going well, though some color information is being lost in putting the page together with copy and paste. I plan to take some time to straighten that out if possible before showing the final result, within a week. Then everyone will see a static copy of the Virtual Lawndale page from seven years ago, just for the heck of it. Plus, I get to make up some new logos and icons, like the title bar with this posting. Everyone needs a hobby, and I suppose there are worse things. Peace out.

No comments: