Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Day the Music Died


On this day in 1959, three great musicians died in a plane crash: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J. P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson. It was a sad day for rock and roll, and one immortalized by Don McLean in the song "American Pie."

There's only one reference in fandom that I know of to either the event or the song, but I hesitate to mention it. If there are any other relevant connections, in fanfic or anywhere else, let me know.

New Fanfic!
  • Combat Girl, by GingerLove84 (COMPLETE!): "'I don't know... I...' Daria shook her head a bit, looking down at her hands. Jane nudged Trent, gesturing for him to do something. Daria's head shot up when Trent took her hands, fixing her with an earnest gaze. His voice was just above a whisper when he spoke. 'Please Daria... You're our only hope. The Spiral needs you.' He squeezed her hands gently. 'I need you.' Daria sighed in defeat, closing her eyes as she shook her head. 'I hate you both.'" (Part 2)

  • Fugitive Chapter 6: Irish Folk, by Wassersauefer (COMPLETE!): "Behind the only living male in the house, Brittany and Jodie watched with horror as the bullets were shoved out of the body and the wounds closed again, leaving only some bloody smears. The thing right in front of her looked like Angie, one of Brittany's best friends, but she certainly wasn't Angie. The closed wounds that would have killed every human from shock were a dead giveaway. But also the flaming eyes, the shine from her mouth and the way her hair moved without any indicator why. And of course the flames that danced around her naked skin."

  • God Save The Esteem ep20: Bearing Gifts, by Charles RB (parts 1 - 3): "'Kiddo! Um... I hear- I didn't hear anything, I mean I gather... that, er, Tom is leaving Lawndale High next year and...' His voice trailed off at the stunned look on her expression. An expression that changed to one of fury, rage to shatter planets, an expression that faded to resignation when she punched the wall with all her might and left no mark and no effect but a bruised hand." (Part 2) (Part 3)

  • Holiday Roadtrip, by Chris Tucker: "Now, Mack Mackenzie is about the most even tempered, likable young man you'd ever want to meet. Captain of the Lawndale Lions football team, arguably the smartest member of the team. He was also the only African-American on the team. To this day, the story of how Mack stuffed Kevin Thompson, arguably the dumbest member of the team, as well as team quarterback, into a locker, with the QB in full uniform, complete with shoulder pads, is the stuff of legends at Lawndale High."

  • Jane Morgendorffer, by LadieT (part 37): "While Amy was rummaging through the closet, Daria crawled under the blanket and fell asleep. Amy returned and gently lifted the girl's head onto the pillow. She could feel her eyes burning as the moisture built up inside them. Laying down beside her daughter, Amy kissed Daria's forehead, and drifted off to sleep."

  • Lawndale Seven: Chapter One, by Wassersauefer (part 1): "Her mother may have deceived her sister Quinn about the reason for the move, better job and payment and all, but not her. She knew about the problems the government had with people who said their mind, with people who weren't afraid to use their brains and stand up. She had heard the rumors about camps for political unwanted, about colonies who were forced with military strength to subdue to the draconian rule of the Terran policies. Whole families had just disappeared over night and no one had the backbone to speak about it. No one except her mother."

  • LLH Alternate Future 06 - Please Give Me Your Full Attention, by psychotol (parts 1 - 4): "'We're all converging on Chicago,' said Brittany, 'Where's Daria? I can't raise her.' 'Neither can I,' said Charles, 'I've been spending the last day trying to find her, she was supposed to be chasing up witnesses.' 'I hope she's okay,' said Brittany, 'oh, but this just can't wait, a terrorist gang has been uncovered planning to blow up public spaces in the Chicago area, and the police may need us to help find the bombs or ... ... .'" (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4)

  • Promises, by LadieT (part 3): "Feeling as though the weight of the world had been dropped upon her, Daria slowly headed out of the room. She returned to the waiting room and sat down next to Helen. Seeing the box of tissues, she handed one over to her mother. Helen hesitated for a moment before accepting it. The two women sat in silence until Daria cleared her throat."

  • Spirit of the Game, Nature of the Beast, by HolyGrail2007 (parts 17 and 18): "It would be safer, for sure, to be there. Reed wouldn't pull anything in front of Tom for the fear it would ruin the Sloane name. Tom made an effective shield for such a thing. It would be an easy move, really, to get Tom to accept. She could just show up, to tell the truth. Tom wouldn't find it odd one bit, he'd actually like it. " (Part 18)

  • An Unexpected View, by paisleygal (COMPLETE!): "'Every night before I attempted to read it, I would put on your glasses. I would think about how they helped you and I hoped they would help me. They did help me, and I think I saw them as an extension of you, so you helped me too. They helped me gain perspective and confidence. By the end of the week, I knew I could not give them back. I'm sorry. I should have kept my promise, but I think I needed them almost as much as you did. Do I sound crazy to you?'"

  • Unnamed story (Crossovers Still Crossing Over), by Charles RB (COMPLETE!): "'That's one of Daria's last essays. She was...' 'I know,' said DeMartino, his old snarl a harsh, gutteral whisper. He looked down, his eyes shadowed. 'We weren't there for our students when they needed us, were we.'"

  • Unnamed story (Iron Chef: The Inedible Adventures of Captain QB!), by Charles RB (COMPLETE!): "wun day TOMMEY SHERMAN was in reel trubble from evil mafia siborg mafia an even tho hes reelly AWESOME he culdn't stop the evil ninja siborg mafia"

  • Unnamed story (Iron Chief: Jakes Trash Freakout: Esteem Edition), by Charles RB (COMPLETE!): "'Soooo...' Tom looked over at all the male members of the Maleficent Eleven. 'None of you know why Mr Morgendorffer wanted to meet us in this shack in the middle of the woods either.'"

  • Worldburner: Vipande Chu Uharibifu, by Erin M. (parts 1 and 2): "They think I'm insane. That I'm killing people and worlds at random. That there isn't any rhyme or reason to what I do. They think I'm out to destroy everything for the sheer sake of destroying everything. That was their first mistake. The second was trying to humiliate me. And the third was thinking that I wouldn't find out about their little alliance. And now, they're about to make their last mistake: Thinking that I always have to make everything a big production..." (Part 2)

No comments: