Wednesday, October 28, 2009

GeoCities Was Vaporized


As we've heard in the latest news releases, Yahoo! has shut down GeoCities, and thus a fair number of the older Daria fan sites have vanished, possibly for good. In the next few weeks I will be searching for dead links at left, and if Archive.org has them copied down I will post the (dead) links in the "Blast from the Past" section near the bottom of the column. Alas, I think we lost some good ones. If you know of some sites in particular that are no more, please name them (with link if possible) in the Comments section, to aid my searching.

To start off, I've just confirmed that the Daria Fan Fiction Website is no more. Can only imagine how many others bit the dust, too.

The Internet is such a terribly temporary place.

2 comments:

Scissors MacGillicutty said...

Compressed archives of the complete Green Sink and Daria Shrine can be found at the Daria Fan Site Mirror:

http://mortacredit.com/FanSiteMirrors/

NB: These are not copies of the site that can be navigated remotely, but compressed archives that can be downloaded, uncompressed, and navigated locally, i.e., you're browsing a local copy on your own computer.

TAG, if you find half-way decent copies at archive.org, PM me the URLs and I'll see what I can do about keeping them at the Fan Site Mirror.

The Angst Guy said...

The "Daria Shrine" saved at the Daria Fan Site Mirror is not the same one that was lost. You copied the better one of the two.

I will be checking through the WayBack Machine before long. Thank you!