Saturday, December 6, 2008

Not As "Lost" As You'd Think


It is supposed to be an axiom of the Internet that (almost) nothing is every truly lost. The vanished supersite Lawndale Commons was mentioned in an earlier post. Let's see what we can dig up about that site and what was on it.

The site, operated by the justly famous Michelle Klein-Häss (who appeared as a camper on "Camp Fear"), was a real supersite. It had its own IRC chat and message boards and everything. Tonight I discovered that it is possible to get a complete list of everything that the WayBack Machine stored about the site (not everything, but a lot anyway). Among other things, I discovered:
Anybody remember all this? Wish I'd known about it when I got into the fandom in 2002. Missed it. Dang!

Oh, and you can get all of the fanfics ever stored in Lawndale Commons in the WayBack Machine, too, using the above method. Click through about 46 pages of stored images, web pages, fanfics, etc. No more missing fanfics. Nice.

Anything missing that I wish I could get now? The large image of the Lawndale crest, shown small-size in the logo above. Rats. Anyone remember this? Anyone remember to SAVE this?

Richard Lobinske has again updated the list of 2008 Visual Fanworks for PPMB and SFMB. I, on the other hand, have not updated the fanfic list yet. Sue me.

(Just kidding.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

TAG, Internet Archeologist. :)

The Angst Guy said...

I can dig it!

The Angst Guy said...

Oh, damn! I should have said, "I can Digg it!" because then it would have been an Internet pun! Damn it, damn it, damn it!