Thursday, December 11, 2008

What I've learned from my journey into the Inferno

At first I was kind of disappointed. The Daria's Inferno game was fine, except for having a few glitches (it was version 1.0.0, after all), but I wanted "portable" stuff to carry away from it, like WAV files, images, etc. Fun stuff I could use elsewhere. But, tragically, the CD was full of SMK files I couldn't use (like, for example, "Daria.smk"). NOTE: SMK files do not appear to be named after smk.

So there was nothing I could do with it.

Or so I thought.

It turns out that SMK files are "Smacker" files, compressed video/cartoon files (often with sound) that are used to power computer games. Smacker was developed by RAD Game Tools and is actually, as I understand it, kind of old and out of date, like me. I wanted to find out if I could modify the SMK files, and lo! You can. All you have to do is go to this webpage and download the RAD Video Tools EXE file, then run it. The tool file is free, but RAD would of course like a donation, which I leave entirely in your hands. You can get the toolkit elsewhere, but why not from the makers? My computer has misgivings about the file, but after checking it out I downloaded it without any problem. It attached itself to my copy of Daria's Inferno, but you can put it elsewhere.

And I have had a trying though fun time learning a whole new skill.

It turns out that the SMK files in Daria's Inferno are like dozens and dozens of little cartoon bits you can stick together in all sorts of ways. I'm not very good at this yet, but I will try to load a few test files here in a few days. Once you get the RAD Video Tools thinger, you can click on and watch any sort of SMK file.

However, I have learned now to convert SMK files into BIK files with the RAD Video Tools thinger, because BIK files work much better.

I can also click on "Print Screen" during any video segment and capture a very large and perfect image.

So this could turn out VERY well after all. If you happen to have downloaded the RAD Video Tools, click on Quinn (above left) and see what happens.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's why smk has perfect spelling and grammar! She's really an A.I.