Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The One That Did Not Get Away

Exactly 70 years ago today, the first live coelacanth was caught off the coast of South Africa, where it was summertime (southern hemisphere, remember).

Today is HumanLight, the wintertime holiday for secular humanists. If you are one of them, party on.

Most importantly, however, today is FESTIVUS, FOR THE REST OF US!

Only I have no images from Daria to mark that occasion, which is why I used Mack and the fish instead. So it goes. Enjoy anyway.

Hey, here's an idea: Can anyone create a quickie Festivus pic for Daria? I might do this for fun.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Festivus, Angst Guy!
Unfortunately I don't have Photo Shop (or artistic talent) so I can't help you with the picture. But I bet some of the more artistic types will come through!
Myself, I'm sort of an agnostic pagan Buddhist. If there is a creator deity (or multiple deities) then it wants us to be decent to each other is my philosophy!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what coelacanth tastes like. I bet the meat is tough.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen this page?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13879353

Anonymous said...

Speaking of thought-to-be-extinct sealife, I hope they find a megalodon someday, but only because my friend is terrified of them and I am a cruel man.

The Angst Guy said...

I read a book about coelacanths when I was a kid, and it said they had been caught by Comoros islanders for years before being recognized as living fossils. The islanders did not like the taste of coelacanth, but the scaly hide was perfect for roughing up bicycle inner tubes prior to being patched.