Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Where does fanfiction wander when the show ends?

A blog is always a good place to put personal observations that, with luck, cannot be used against you later in court. Here are a few observations about the directions taken in Daria fanfiction since January 2002. You are as always free to argue at length in the Comments section. You are even encouraged to do so.

The fanfiction I've read that was written while the show was going on (which I almost completely missed) generally stuck to the setting and plot styles presented in the show. Teenager Daria Morgendorffer would face her daily trials at home and school with trusty Jane Lane at her side. There was a notable tendency to slide into wishful-thinking alternate universes, particularly where Daria/Trent shippers were concerned, even these remained close to canon in many respects. There was also a tendency to create original characters who would appear in stories as "partners in crime" with Daria and Jane, despite muttered comments about Mary Sues and so forth. We are all aware of these trends.

One thing that stands out about the AUs and original characters, however, is that they were almost always restricted to the use of the persons who created them. A strong proprietary sense was felt toward characters such as Lynn Cullen, with requests posted for no one else to use them. Few thought about writing within someone else's personal Dariaverse. Exceptions appeared but were rare (the Abruptly Amy shared universe, and at least one effort to string fanfics together as unofficial fanon).

Instead of sharing original characters, one saw fanon appear to fill in the spaces canon did not cover, to expand the selections in characters, plots, and settings offered by main Dariaverse. We got the name Tori Jericho for Popular Girl, and it stuck. Everyone used it. We got oddball stories that spun off from the wormhole behind that Chinese restaurant. The envelope was pushed outward by degrees in all directions by fanfic writers eager to tell new tales and new kinds of tales.

Then the show ended.

It has been noted by many (with either joy or sorrow) that since Is It College Yet? aired, Daria fanfiction has increasingly strayed from the old formulas of school and family situations. Science-fiction and superhero themes are more often seen, as are stories featuring situations unusual for Daria and Jane in the series (college, marriage, parenthood, nudist camps, etc.). Even the technique of writing fanfiction has changed, with serial stories now commonplace and beta-reading less often used (sometimes for the worst).

More importantly, the sharing of things has increased, gaining speed as time moves along. To my recollection, it was Veronica Morgendorffer that broke the barrier. Introduced in 2004, she is now seen in stories by many writers. She paved the way for Kyle Armalin and others: original characters who are freely used in common by all. The creator could, I assume, copyright the character for later non-Daria stories (it's been done; Lynn Cullen may have appeared in an RPG product by Canadibrit, and I recall a Star Wars fanfic that was successfully transformed into original science fiction), but more often the creator means for the created character to become universal within the fandom.

New characters have also been added by developing the wealth of background characters from the show, such as Jennifer and Scarlett. This "character mining" has even extended into the Beavis and Butt-head show, dragging out classmates Daria knew at Highland High (B&B, in particular) as well as individuals like Dallas Grimes (seen in Dervish's "Something to Shoot For").

The sharing of characters has led at last to the sharing of whole universes. The Legion of Lawndale Heroes series and the Ringbearers universe have numerous contributors and opened the doors to even more shared universes with their own internal logic and rules, all derived from the Daria series.

What the fandom is doing is creating its own reality or, rather, realities (apologies for using a phrase that originated during the W administration). The extensive use of alternate universes, I believe, was reinforced by the use of alter ego pictures with the end credits of the show, depicting characters in amusing and unusual set-ups. It was also reinforced by Daria's own daydreaming about her future, with or without Trent, and by the nature teenage ideal of trying on many roles to see which one fits best for later life. ("Daria!" and "Depth Takes a Holiday" probably pushed the AU idea further when some fans rejected them as canon, putting them off to the side, while other fans embraced them.)

The extensive use of AU set-ups and sharing of worlds and characters strengthens the fandom community and does not weaken it. It binds us together in new creative endeavors even as the days of new Daria episodes fade into the past. It even protects the fandom's many works from being "Jossed" and discarded as illegitimate should a new Daria-related series appear. As happens in many other fandoms in similar straits, Daria fans are taking charge of things. Unwilling to waste time crying about the show's end or why it hasn't appeared on DVD (okay, it really does need to be on DVD, uncut, but we aren't hamstrung without it), the fans carry Daria and company off in all directions at once.

Nothing stops the production of close-to-canon fanfiction, and some writers still go at it on a regular basis. Time moves on, though, and we move with it. Sharing creations and developing alternate worlds are two of the most durable glues holding our fandom together. I'm not inclined to see them disappear.

Anyone know how other fandoms cope with no new shows? Drop a note here about it. Maybe we could learn something.

11 comments:

The Angst Guy said...

Eluki bes Shahar, by the way, indicated the direction fanfiction authors should take if they wish to further develop an original shared character for a non-fandom series, or even a canon character in another format. Han Solo, in her original fanfiction, was changed into Butterfly St. Cyr (a female interstellar smuggler) in Hellflower. I know this because I read her original story and she even admits the story's origins in the book's credits.

E. A. Smith said...

While I can understand the drive not to see another writer assume (and possibly desecrate) your own original character creation, it seems pretty hypocritical to me for a fanfic writer to forbid other authors from using their original characters. And it does surprise me that it was at one time the norm; I can't think of a greater honor than having another fan pay tribute to my work by using a character of my own invention, and I would think any fanfic author would take such a homage as a sign of the popularity of their own work and therefore a compliment.

ninetwelve said...

The (mostly) teenage and twenty something fanbase grew up- and as Daria realized the problems of high school (siblings, homework, social situations) don't matter as much. As such the fan fic would reflect our changing outlook on life.

We got into the show because it reflected our nature- as that nature develops it makes sense that the fanfic would diverge from canon. Though I do crack a smile when I read a straighforward fic that plays just like a 'lost episoe'

Though if you think about it...

Right now I feel alot like its the hayday of daria. Syndication has ended- but torrents have returned the MTV of my youth to my laptop. The economy is sagging and a bush war has shattered another generation's concept of 'peace' but a new president elect offers a new direction for the planet.

The music industry is being revolutionized by a new technology, and the housing bubble burst just like the .com one.

Not to mention Guns 'n' Roses and Oasis are releasing albums :P

"Indie" rock is the new grunge.

Only difference is now Starbucks are CLOSING faster than ever. Thank god.

Anonymous said...

BG here. While I agree with Mr. Smith on the hypocrisy of fandom authors, if someone takes the time to actually complain about the 'unauthorized' use of their character, then,okay. I'll honor their wishes... and I'll never use anything of theirs in anything of mine, ever again. That's happened to me once; I had decided to use a very well-known fandom character in Legion of Lawndale Heroes in a very high-profile cameo during the story arc that had also introduced The Alliance. I didn't think that I had disrespected the character in any manner, and in fact,had given the character a kick-ass scene that showed just how well-respected and cool he was... not to mention setting the seeds for further appearances as a possible romantic interest for Jane. After the chapter appeared, the creater complained about his unauthorized use. I immediately re-wrote the scene - and I will never use that character or ANYTHING by that writer, ever again. I was very deeply offened by that. I create fandom characters as something that I like and want to share- and if someone thinks enough of what I've done that they want to run with it, the only thing I have to say is, 'Thank you for giving these guys a life beyond my own computer.' I still remember how jazzed I was the first time someone used DELPHI, or Kyle Armalin, or the Ringbearers without asking, and created new and different parts of their backstories; Jim Vitale having a past business relationship with Armalin, DELPHI having trans-dimensional capabilities, or the Earth Hunters within the Ringbeares, or the fact that Ringbearers have ranks and non-human members- those were things that other writers added to the mix. That's something that makes me happy, because now they're no longer'my' characters - they belong to the fandom itself.

Oh, yeah. Kyle Armalin was introduced in 'Lunch Hour in Lawndale', the prequel story to 'It's All About Respect', which was posted on January 7, 2001; while Robert Nowall was the original inventor of Veronica Morgenforffer (NOT 'Evie' Morgendorffer), in a story begun as a story fragment in a PPMB post (2/5/2004: “Another story idea dumped here...”). Kyle was around a good three years earlier. :-)

The Angst Guy said...

Kyle was first, very true. My point was that, as I saw it at the time (and I could be wrong), Veronica's rapid adoption by fanfic writers led to the same for other characters. However, Kyle could have been used by others before then. I don't know that part.

For the $.02 it is worth, anyone is free to use any original character of mine from fanfiction in any manner.

The Angst Guy said...

I guess my point was that today we aren't very concerned, if at all, about ownership of characters or settings for Daria. Paying forward, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm always delighted on the (rare) occasions I see one of my original characters pop up in somebody else's story.

I was very much of the "ask first" school of thought for a while, but then I figured out the relaxed atmosphere and went with it. I think that if I were to be asked not to use someone's original character I'd probably end up taking a tack similar to Br. Grimace's.

Anonymous said...

Paying forward, indeed. Along the lines of using fanon-inspired canon characters... I as SO waiting for a chance to use Scarlet and Roger in LLH. I just haven't had an opening yet - well, not in the mainstream LLH universe. in the Daylight LLH 'verse - I think I have an idea... :-)

P.S., TAG. We need to see more Scarlet and Roger minis. Their Apocalyptic Daria appearance stillmakes me cry laughing - and if you want to set the ball rolling by bringing her into the mainstream universe as an analog to the White Witch (my choice for her for a LONG time) - hell, that would be very cool.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're also right about Veronica. She's definitly the first true 'crossover' character that was generally used by other authors without reservation.

I never used her, because (like I say in the Daria Wiki entry for Evie) I always thought that such a great concept - a third Morgendorffer daughter - should be more than just a simple blending of Daria and Quinn's traits. That's how I felt when writing 'The Trouble With Veronica'; I thought that the character deserver to be deeper, to be more.

The Angst Guy said...

I thought you (BG) did an excellent thing in creating Evie, who broke the mold and opened up the sibling thing further. (Decelaraptor helped a lot here, too, with that story about the Morgendorffers having like a dozen kids. AND IF YOU ARE READING THIS, GUY, YOU MUST WRITE MORE! MORE, I SAY! WORK, WORK, WORK! THE ONLY JOY IS THE JOY OF DUTY!) Anyway, Evie is cool. Much fun there.

Robert Nowall said...

I did *not* intend Veronica Morgendorffer to be a shared character. That was something that just happened.