Monday, January 12, 2009

An Introduction

As you may have noticed, TAG has invited a few of us other inmates, er, fans, to participate in his blog. Why, you may ask? Probably because he's lazy and tired of keeping this place up all by himself, but at the same time unwilling to let it slide. Of course, now if it slides anyway, he can just blame us newbies. Not that he'd be so devious. In any case, since I'll be contributing here, I thought I'd introduce myself, and explain how I came to be a member of this fandom.

If you participate (or lurk) on the PPMB, you know me as smk. For the purposes of this blog, I shall be hereinafter known as, 'the smk chick'. As The Kristen Bealer Guy noted, there was kind of a pattern to the names, but since I don't particularly want to be thought of as a guy, and since, unlike Kristen Bealer, smk is gender-neutral, I decided on the smk chick. And it's not capitalized because I'm pretty sure it'll bug TAG.

As for how I came to be part of this fandom, about two and a half years ago I suddenly had access to DSL. I'd never had DSL before, and wanted to compare the speed to dial up. It seemed that streaming video would be a good test, so I went to YouTube. That day they happened to be featuring a channel from nightwinggirl (I am unsure of the spelling, it's been awhile and since YouTube suspended the account [Stupid YouTube. But I'm not bitter.] it's a little hard to check). The channel had a play list with all of the Daria episodes, in order, including the unaired pilot. Over the next few weeks, I watched the whole series. Some of the comments referenced Outpost Daria, so I checked that out. I had never heard of fan fiction, but when the series was done, I still wanted more, so I started reading some of the fan fiction, on Outpost Daria and elsewhere. Then I clicked a few links, found the PPMB, discovered the Creative Writing forum, realized there was new stuff to be found there, and lurked for a little while.

I may never have decided to actively participate, if it hadn't been for one post. You see, prior to this, not only had I never heard of fan fiction, I'd never heard of message boards and had no idea that any fans other than Trekkies were active in any sense; the whole thing was unfamiliar and a little scary. When I'd been compulsively reading fan fiction, though, I did e-mail two or three authors. One was Lawndale Stalker. Once Upon a Time at College was unfinished, leaving a huge question unanswered, and I wanted to know, dammit! And he refused to answer, claiming he'd finish the story one day. (And has that happened? No! But I'm not bitter.) Then, in my lurking, I came across the following post:

http://www.thepaperpusher.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12442&p=208885#p208885

(I know I should probably be able to capture an image of the screen and post it here, but I don't want to brag on my 1337 skillz, so just follow the link and pretend, 'kay?)

That was me! He was talking about me! I was compelled to respond, so I de-lurked. Once the door was open, I found that participating in an online community (this one, anyway) was much less scary than I thought, and in fact have found that this is a comfortable place to be. Even though my online experience has broadened, this is still my favorite place on the 'net.

That's quite enough about me, and I promise that future posts will strictly limit use of the word 'I' (but I promise nothing about the parentheses).

10 comments:

the smk chick said...

Dang it, why can't I get an extra line between the last line of the post and the by line?

The Angst Guy said...

You have to add the following after the last period or whatever in your post: < p > < / p > (spaces added to keep this from vanishing and turning into a line space). Close up the spaces, add those two commands side by side, and a line space will miraculously appear. It also works to add a space between the title and the first line of your post, but you have to complete your entire post first, with images, then click the "Edit HTML" tab instead of the "Compose" tab, then add the: < p > < / p > thinger right at the start, before the image section if that comes first.

And you've probably also noticed that your GIF avatar has magically turned into a PNG image that does not tap its foot. This was very frustrating for me until I found that you have to put the GIF image online somewhere, get the URL for that image, and replace the http address thinger for the PMG image with your link to the GIF image. Then it will tap its foot.

It took me over a year to learn this, but you and everyone else may benefit from my suffering for no charge at all. However, in the future, I might ask a favor of you, like kidnapping my neighbor's cat, and you will have to help.

Good luck!

The Angst Guy said...

...but I don't want to brag on my 1337 skillz...


Nobody has THAT many skills!
:p

Kristen Bealer said...

Well, at least someone appreciates the hard work I put in to keep up the theme.

Sigh.

And welcome to the blog! Glad you're not bitter. I can't stand bitter people.

(muttering) Stupid people who won't keep up the stupid theme stupid stupid stupid.

the smk chick said...

Cool, thanks. I fixed the spacing issue, but I like the non-tapping. It has nothing to do with not knowing how to do what you said. Really.

And, Kristen, I had already picked my name before I saw yours. Great minds and all that.

Anonymous said...

TAG, I think we're in trouble...:)

Anonymous said...

What? I didn't do nothin'! It's not my fault!

Brother Grimace said...

1. She's a chick? A tearful, pleading chick? Damn, how things have changed.

2. With her inquiries on boobage, I thought she was a dude!

3. Welcome!

(runsaway)

The Angst Guy said...

With her inquiries on boobage, I thought she was a dude!

Man, EVERYONE loves boobs!

Anonymous said...

Wow, so you entered this fandom pester . . . um . . . encouraging writers to finish stories, huh? I didn't see that one coming. Honest.

:p