Friday, January 2, 2009

Spacebabes for Asimov

Renown science writer and science-fiction author Isaac Asimov was born this day 89 years ago in Russia. It would be impossible to list all the books he wrote in this space, as he did over 500 of them, and I could not name all the books he did that I have loved. He was The Man. The Space Babes appear here in his honor.

One character from Daria appears in a fanfic reading a book by Asimov, and one of Asimov's science articles influenced a story that I wrote. Anyone else have an Asimov/Daria tale?


LATE NEWS: The list of 2008 Written Fanworks is complete!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had yound Daria reading I, Robot in "A Simple Makeup Kit", plus the story was heavily influenced by "Liar" from that volume.

Depending on how her later life unfolds, I can easily see Daria becoming someone like Dr. Susan Calvin.

E. A. Smith said...

I've found Azimov to be very underwhelming. I tried to read Foundation, and finished it swearing I'd never pick up anything by Azimov ever again. The writing was pedestrian, the characters despicable, and the plot nonexistent. For classic sci-fi, I've found Heinlein to be much more enjoyable (even with all of his bizarre ideas).

Anonymous said...

Curious, I've always enjoyed Asimov while I think Heinlein jumped the shark with Number of the Beast

Anonymous said...

Most of Asimov's prose is grey and colorless. Many of his charaters are so generic as to be interchangable. Foundation Trilogy which is a bunch of short stories and novelets cobbled into three novels is a particular offender in The Good Doctor's weaknesses in fictive construction. His stories are primarily about ideas, and his later works tend to get better and better. In the later works, one I particularly like is Foundation and Earth.

My favorite works by Heinlien tend to be his juviniles. Number of the Beast, Friday and other books from his last decade are a decided fall in quality from his earlier works.