Friday, December 21, 2007

The Great Amy Barksdale Mystery, Exhibits A & B

Those who know me best know I am a sober, thoughtful man, not prone to wild fancies nor paranoid delusions nor rash judgments. They know my word can be trusted. And so if I said to you, Daria fans, that I have discovered a shocking mystery that defies rational explanation, a mystery that quakes the very foundations of logic and reality, then you would know that I had found a mystery indeed.

Alas, as it happens, I have discovered such a staggering anomaly in the otherwise well-structured Dariaverse that for a time I was afraid to reveal this nightmare, for fear of the effects this discovery might have upon the delicate minds of impressionable citizens such as yourself. But I can hold back no longer; the truth must come out.

Yes, my friends, I have incontrovertible evidence, which I present to you now, that Amy Barksdale got a boob reduction.

Cast your gaze upon the first set of two photographs above, which come from "Through a Lens Darkly" and show a rather curvy, well-endowed Amy. (Click on the image to enlarge it.) Next, examine the series of three images immediately following that one, from "Aunt Nauseam," and... well, the proof should be as clear as Dr. Shar's implants. Something is missing. A lot of something is missing. What the heck happened here? Where'd they go? What did Amy do with them? What was she thinking? Were they getting in the way, or what?

Tonight we shall ponder this enigma in our beds and ask ourselves: why? Whose idea was that? Did they think that we wouldn't notice? We deserve answers, and we deserve them now. Thank you for listening, and I'm glad I could bring this to your attention.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

She obviously didn't read the fine print on one of those 'Lose Weight Instantly!' ads.

Anonymous said...

If you look very carefully, you'll see the problem is not a "boob reduction". Rather, the problem is anorexia. From the limited amount of evidence we see, we can tell that Amy's features are in sharper relief, and her baggy sweater hides her tiny neck and thin-looking hands. Her breasts aren't surgically reduced; she's just lost a lot of weight!

Does Amy Barksdale have an eating disorder? If so, Amy might not be the best adjusted of the three Barksdale sisters.

/play discordant piano chord

Anonymous said...

Well, after Abruptly Amy tanked, she went through some tough times. I don't think we should hold some stress-induced weight-loss against her. I've heard she's in therapy now and eating much better.

Anonymous said...

Nah, in the second set of shots, she simply wasn't wearing her "Dr. Shar's Pre-Implant Temporary Bust Augmentations".

E. A. Smith said...

It's all Joel's fault!

The Angst Guy said...

Joel made her get the boob reduction? That rat bastard!

The Angst Guy said...

Actually, I was thinking maybe she had implants beforehand, but they didn't work out and she had them removed. That might explain it.

Isn't it great how much is left to discover about this show?

Anonymous said...

I think it has more to do with how she's dressed. In the first scene, she's wearing a tight t-shirt. In the second, a baggy sweater. The breasts are still there, they just moved into a bigger apartment!