Friday, August 28, 2009

It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fried)

Today is a special day in science. This is the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the greatest solar eruptions known in history. It was a butt-kicker. Fortunately the most complicated things we had at the time were telegraphs, but even those got knocked out. This is the event that spawned the Daylight shared multiverse setting. If the 1859 eruptions happened today, we'd have major problems. Daylight, of course, assumes it does happen today, but it's a lot worse. Heh heh.

Also today, Leo Tolstoy is 181 years old, and St. Augustine, Florida (the oldest continuously inhabited European settlement in North America) is a mere 444 years old.

What Would Jane Do? smk asks this question and everyone awaits your answers on PPMB. The issue is, how would Jane have reacted if Daria had found a boyfriend on her own.

FF.net
  • Pigskin Caduceus, by HolyGrail2007 (Part 4): Although my incident with the Sudoku book was making me nervous, I pushed the thoughts out of my head to concentrate on Quinn. All of the following week, she was very quiet as of late. She wasn’t raising her hand in class, she wasn’t speaking to her friends at lunch, indeed, she seemed very distracted. But she seemed to be making a lot of sidelong glances at me.
PPMB
  • Legally Halloween, by Richard Lobinske (Part 2): "What do you need?" "Um, help dyeing my hair." "Could you repeat that? I thought you said something about dyeing your hair."
  • Reusably Complex, by Ajar (Part 1): “I have called this meeting to inform you of some budget changes that are effective immediately,” said Ms. Li to the assembled teachers. “Due to an overrun in security spending after that bomb scare we are cutting hours for all janitorial staff.”
  • The Runaway, by Aloysius (Part 2): “I sobered up faster than they expected,” Daria said. “They left two doors unlocked, because they thought I was still zonked out. I took off, hid, and made my way back to my hometown.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anybody think there could be a better animated musical for Daria than 'Daria:The Musical'? Maybe based on Ellie Greenwich songs? How 'bout 'Leader of the Slack' to start?

The Angst Guy said...

Not familiar with that artist.

Janitorial Services said...

I think it is cool.